smoke to visualize airflow

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kentc
Friend of SPCR

smoke to visualize airflow

Post by kentc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 am

i'd like to visualize the airflow in my case to see if/where hot air is trapped and just generally how air flows inside the case. been searching the web but i can't seem to figure out what the pros use or what i can get hold of. preferably a product that doesn't leave my motherboard and components a smoking mess...

any ideas?

thanks, kent.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Darn, I was going to say a fanless Prescott, but your last criterion rules that out.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Try and find something like this:

Diamond Smoke Stack Kit, 18 volt.

It's meant for model trains, but should work for your purposes also.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:34 pm

You can also use dry ice vapour (commonly jused to produce "fog" for special effects)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:12 pm

You could place dry ice in water, but make sure to have the windows open, or some very good airflow (even for plain dry ice).

I believe what you're seeing with dry ice is actually water condensing nearby, it may not be the best thing to use, but your parts probably run hot enough to withstand some high humidity.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:35 am

What about those stinky things they waft around in some churches..? :lol:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 am

nm

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:01 am

Speak to your local Gas man (or "Climate Engineer" or "Temperature Technician" or some other euphamism {insult} dreamed up by marketing :evil: - sorry, micro-rant over :wink: ) about some smoke pellets. These are little things that they light and put in the bottom of your central-heating boiler, to make sure it's not leaking. Once lit, they give of lots of thick, harmless smoke without the risk of particles or condensation killing your PC.
If you ask nicely (and quietly) they'll probably give you a handful of pellets for nothing- they dont pay for them, so why should you?! :wink:
Hope this helps.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:19 pm

I just use some incense.

The problem is if you don't have a window, you aren't testing how it works. I guess you could use a sheet of plexi temporarily for the test.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:25 pm

Bobfantastic wrote:These are little things that they light and put in the bottom of your central-heating boiler, to make sure it's not leaking. Once lit, they give of lots of thick, harmless smoke without the risk of particles or condensation killing your PC.
that sounds like the perfect thing. even better then perfect if i can get it for free :)
RAFH wrote:The problem is if you don't have a window, you aren't testing how it works. I guess you could use a sheet of plexi temporarily for the test.
yeah, i'll put some plexiglass and seal it to mimic the case side.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:10 pm

kentc wrote:that sounds like the perfect thing. even better then perfect if i can get it for free :)
If you manage to get a couple of those, I suggest that you do a outdoor-test first. It is probably a good thing to prepare oneself for the considerable amount of smoke that one of those small pellets will emit.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 pm

What about those stinky things they waft around in some churches..?
It's called a censer and they only stink if you use cheap incense :P
Once lit, they give of lots of thick, harmless smoke without the risk of particles or condensation killing your PC.
It should be noted that unles this is a visible gas, it is made up either of particles (solids) in the case of smoke or droplets (liquids) in the case of water vapour.

Whether they're harmful to the system anymore than normal airborne dust would be is another question.