Cases with 120mm fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:08 am

Nothing keeps it from moving, except

1. A good deal of friction between the SmartDrive and the foam, so there's little/no movement when messing with the case. and
2. You have to take off the front bezel to clean the airflow. Hence, you don't tilt the case when cleaning the filter. You just take off the bezel.

If you want to rest it on foam and don't want to worry about the drive moving, maybe get a length of rubber and tie the hard drive (and foam) to the mount where the drive cage would normally go.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:42 am

Shadowknight wrote:Nothing keeps it from moving, except

1. A good deal of friction between the SmartDrive and the foam, so there's little/no movement when messing with the case. and
2. You have to take off the front bezel to clean the airflow. Hence, you don't tilt the case when cleaning the filter. You just take off the bezel.

If you want to rest it on foam and don't want to worry about the drive moving, maybe get a length of rubber and tie the hard drive (and foam) to the mount where the drive cage would normally go.
I was thinking your case is like the Sonata which has a slide-out filter that requires tilting the case and squeezing two tabs and pulling out from the bottom. Seems like your case is similar to the D8000 type?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:06 am

Er, not really familiar with the design of the d8000 style case. I just know that the bezel is removable, and that to remove the filter you HAVE to take off the bezel first. So I guess the Sonata's bezel is not removable?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:16 am

Shadowknight wrote:Er, not really familiar with the design of the d8000 style case. I just know that the bezel is removable, and that to remove the filter you HAVE to take off the bezel first. So I guess the Sonata's bezel is not removable?
I believe it is removable but the filter slides out from the bottom and yours is like the D8000 in that it comes out from the front. If you look at Katana's review of the D8000 which has spinoffs like LX-6A19 http://www.coolcases.com/catalog/case_cclx6a_cat.htm
perhaps you can see the similarity except yours has a front door.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:51 pm

I've updated the list to include the Ahanix Black Knight. It's finally available for purchase at Mwave. $65 is a great price considering the built in fan controller and LCD display.

Thanks to ColdFlame for posting about availability at Mwave.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:59 pm

Katana Man wrote:I've updated the list to include the Ahanix Black Knight. It's finally available for purchase at Mwave. $65 is a great price considering the built in fan controller and LCD display.

Thanks to ColdFlame for posting about availability at Mwave.
That IS an interesting looking case, but as usual my hopes sink when I see the front. So am I right when I guess that the front 120mm fan pulls air only from a wee slot on the bottom between the front bezel and the main metal portion of the case? Doesn't look like there is any other intake on the front bezel...

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:04 pm

Yep, I agree. I added it to the list, but I'm not buying one :)
I think they should have moved the push button controls up a few inches, and inserted a black mesh grill.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:11 pm

Do I interpret your comment right Mike, that this case will SUCK for airflow? :) I really like the looks. I like the looks to the point that I'm ready to drill the holes in the front or something.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:43 am

ColdFlame wrote:Do I interpret your comment right Mike, that this case will SUCK for airflow? :) I really like the looks. I like the looks to the point that I'm ready to drill the holes in the front or something.
Certainly looks like the airflow would suck to me. Looks like one of many poorly designed cases with basically no front airflow. There's too many to list but the noteable ones for us are the GMC Classic, LL6070 and Coolermaster Wave case.

You can start drilling holes in the front bezel of that Ahanix but it will look pretty crappy, plus you'll have to work around that oval shaped control panel thingy so you won't be able to get too carried away. Not to mention, when you drill holes straight into the bezel you give the noise from inside a direct path to get out of the case. This isn't something that's condusive to having a quiet system.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:59 am

/me sighs and looks over LA-6A19 yelling "I really liked the looks of the Black Knight" :)

Thanks for your help!

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:53 pm

The EverCase 4252 now comes with 120mm rear exhaust. The old version only had 80mm, so if you're looking into it, be sure you know what you're getting.

Also, they only claim support for 80mm in the front, but the grill looks large enough for 120mm, possibly without any modification. (may be able to mount directly to the grill?)

It's likely that this is the version of the case is what is used by ARM Systems for the Stealth PC that was reviewed here, though I don't know if there are any specific ARM modifications...

NeilBlanchard

different PS now, too?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:09 pm

Hello:
Joe DeFuria wrote:The EverCase 4252 now comes with 120mm rear exhaust.
It looks like it now has a 120mm fanned (Fortron?) PS too!

:o
[/drool]

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:49 am

The new 4252 looks interesting. I checked a few places and didn't find it on sale yet though. I wonder why they don't change the model numbers so you can tell them apart?

I'll be interested to see the price on this case especially if the power supply is a nice one. I'm amazed that they can pack all the drive bays and the 120mm fans into a sub 17" case like they do. This might replace the 3700 on my next buy list.

I just saw the Evercase ECE4802 on sale at NewEgg. It only lists a 120mm exhaust. It looks like you might fit a 80mm or 120mm intake but there doesnt' appear to be any holes in the bezel. The case is aluminum though and only $60. I suppose if you're a fan of negative pressure, you need a lightweight case, and you don't have tons of 3.5 drives it might work.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:14 am

It looks like will fit either (2) 60mm or 80mm fans in front, but a 120mm would require removal of the front usb and audio ports. Still it's a nice price for a aluminum case w/120mm fan.

clive

Post by clive » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:17 pm

To fellow Australians (know you are out there) which of these cases, besides the Antecs, are available here? and where from?

Is it feasible to import one or is the landed cost too much

Xspringe

Post by Xspringe » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:55 pm

Does anyone know if there are any Dutch shops carrying Compucase LX-6A19 based cases (preferrably without a PSU)?

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:20 am

well my case that I have purchased is the 3R Systems Air Case (it looks identical to the Ahanix Dbox). they both come with a 120mm fan in the front and an 80mm in the back BUT it has enough space for a 120mm all you have to do is swap it....

The bonus about this case is that on the front of the case it has 10 stage fan control (prob 5v to 12v (I dunno how to check and dont have the equipment)), another bonus is that it has three temperature probes for checking temps in system (I have my probs on CPU, GFX, HDD)

bad thing about case is that it flexs rather easy (I am pretty sure it is just aluminium) but with the side panels on it is fairly rigid.

hope this helps ya in your search for a 120mm case

xoham

Where

Post by xoham » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:35 pm

WHere can you buy that 3r systems case?

Is the exhaust hole big enough for the 120 mm fan?

Were you able to get a black verison?

Where you able to choose Aluminum?

THanks.

NeilBlanchard

SFF case from Antec with 120mm fan!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:50 pm

Hello:

Maybe this is a scoop?! The Antec Aria SFF case has a 120mm fan, and is designed for silence!

I "found" it via Sudhian's newsletter. :roll:

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=501

It has a 300watt PS and uses *MicroATX* motherboards with *4* expansion slots! http://www.meumonus.com/files/aria.pdf [/drool]

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: SFF case from Antec with 120mm fan!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:11 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

Maybe this is a scoop?!
Nah, someone in the giant Ars Aria thread beat you to this a couple of days ago. But keep trying! :)

Rumor has it that there's some review samples floating around.

GNNR |AVault|

Post by GNNR |AVault| » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:04 am

On the Black Knight... you won't be drilling holes in the front... a 4 inch square PCB is located there for the PMW and temp sensors. The existing intake vent is on the bottom and rather large compared to other cases using a similar setup. It would be possible to not only expand it, but also create some side venting as well... airflow in it's stock form isn't bad though.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:47 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Nah, someone in the giant Ars Aria thread beat you to this a couple of days ago. But keep trying! :)
I can't see any giant Aria threads on SPCR. Is Ars another forum somewhere? If so, where?

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:02 pm

Yes, someone please start another thread for the Aria case, because it should not be in this thread.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:33 pm

Katana Man wrote:Yes, someone please start another thread for the Aria case, because it should not be in this thread.
Don't see why not. The title of this thread is "Cases With 120mm Fans" and it looks to me like the Aria is a case with a 120mm fan in it. Am I missing something?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:35 pm

Sooty wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:Nah, someone in the giant Ars Aria thread beat you to this a couple of days ago. But keep trying! :)
I can't see any giant Aria threads on SPCR. Is Ars another forum somewhere? If so, where?
"Ars" is "Ars Technica". Here's a direct link to the thread I was referring to.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:40 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Don't see why not. The title of this thread is "Cases With 120mm Fans" and it looks to me like the Aria is a case with a 120mm fan in it. Am I missing something?
It's hard to tell by the title of this thread, but the original post is talking about, and has a list of mid tower cases with room for 120mm fans in front AND back.

NeilBlanchard

New (?) case from Evercase

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:03 am

Hello:

I just noticed over at NewEgg that Evercase has a new case, which is essentially a revised 4252 -- it's called the 4292 and the front bezel is much "cleaner" but best of all, it also hase the side intake:

The only two colors that NewEgg has are red and purple. But there are five colors available:

And yes it does have 120mm fans front & back! :twisted:

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:55 am

Are you sure? Their website says:
Ventilation: Front: 6cm Fan x 2 + Rear: 12cm, 8cm or 9cm fan x 1

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:03 am

Katana Man wrote:Are you sure? Their website says:
Ventilation: Front: 6cm Fan x 2
Well, isn't two 60mm fans the same thing as one 120mm fan? :wink: