Any info for this case: Lian Li A05?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 am

claude05 wrote:
Please do. The pics on newegg never give you enough info. Any you can provide would be great! Let us know, is there a space for another 120mm in the front?
Will do.

DG

Post by DG » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:53 am

This thread is worthless without pics! :D

LiveWire

Post by LiveWire » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:22 pm

DG

Post by DG » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:31 am

Thx, but those pics are not very different from newegg pics, it still doesn't show the front of the case with the aluminium cover off..

zepper

Several other cases with PSU in bottom front, etc.

Post by zepper » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Here are a few more cases with PSU in bottom front:
[L=nMedia PC, a div. of Enermax, 300 series]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811204008[/L}. I think only the bezel has some Aluminum, the chassis looks like steel. You could use this one either vert. or horiz. if you could find a set of isolation feet for the horiz. orientation as it should be a bit off the surface below.
There were some XClio that may be made by iCute or whoever makes for them but I don't see them now.
JPac had one called the NJA, but I don't see it anymore either.
And I think some of the Lian Li HTPC cases are rigged that way.

Ooops, sorry, I forgot the Arctic Cooling Silentium cases that come with the proprietary Seasonic PSU mounted in the lower front for under $100.00! Beware that those AC open frame fans are very susceptible to shipping damage - likely responsible for the middling rating the Silentium case received here. If you get one with noisy fans, keep sending them back to AC until you get the silence you wanted. Those fans have a very strong warranty.

.bh.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm actually considering swapping my v1000 for this case, only issue that might come up is cable management in such a confined space. Need to see some user feedback, or a review of the case in terms of installed space, noise and thermal characteristics. but, I'll probably never see that.

edit: just looked at the case a little more...it would be nice to know if the psu install bracket can be flipped, so that the fan would be facing the hdd cage, and then the space below the psu could be used to stuff excess cable.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:45 am

the guy at hardforum just put up some new pics of it. I just want to know if an 8800gts can fit in it and I will buy it. Looks like a nifty little case

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:04 am

claude05 wrote:the guy at hardforum just put up some new pics of it. I just want to know if an 8800gts can fit in it and I will buy it. Looks like a nifty little case
A guy in the abit forums assembled a system in that case, which included an 8800gts..
here

edit: I just asked him if he'd take some pictures of his system installed in the case, hopefully he'll respond soon.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 am

claude05 wrote:the guy at hardforum just put up some new pics of it. I just want to know if an 8800gts can fit in it and I will buy it. Looks like a nifty little case
Edit: what I meant to say was:

"fit an 8800gts with three drives in the drive cage".

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:54 am

I just asked him. He seems to really like the case, and he said he could have pictures in a few days. But, I'll have to wait for his reply on how the gts fits with more than 1 hard drive.
edit: he just replied and said that the hard drives will not have an effect on how the gts fits.

bananas

alternate tiny ATX case

Post by bananas » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi

I have also been searching for a very small case for a portable Solaris development systems. The Lian Li PC-A05 looks interesting, but I am also concerned about cooling.

I have found an alternate here the looks well engineered:

http://www.justpcusa.com/matx.htm

The case is advertised to be ATX compatible. I like the powersupply installation much better than the Lian Li.

Looking forward to more data here. I will build one of the alternates this holiday.

Chau

Max

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:27 pm

ryboto wrote:edit: just looked at the case a little more...it would be nice to know if the psu install bracket can be flipped, so that the fan would be facing the hdd cage, and then the space below the psu could be used to stuff excess cable.
Thats easily doable.

I just opened the case up yesterday and so far I'm pretty impressed. The fans are all soft mounted and it looks like the hard drives are as well (haven't installed them yet).

Personally the only problem I have with the case is the "Lian Li" logo is not removable.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:14 am

Operandi: is there a place for lian li drive bay covers?? like on my V1000, I can install drive bay covers, or bezels that hide my optical drives. There would be screw holes on the front of the case(under the aluminum face plate) to the left and right of each optical drive bay.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Here are the promised pics, sorry it took so long. :cry:

If there is anything else you would specifically like to see on the case let me know.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:08 pm

I can take some pictures of mine, I removed the drive cage, I've got two Scythe quiet drives installed, and I also replaced the power button with the one from my v1000. I also modified the drive bezels from my v1000 to fit on the a05. Thermally this case isn't as nice as the v1000 due to the lack of zones, especially in my case with the two quiet drives...but, load temps are all the same.

DG

Post by DG » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:18 am

Operandi, thx for the pics.

Ryboto, where did you place the two hdds? Could you post a picture with the inside of the case? Thx!

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:03 am

I put one horizontal, over the power supply, and the other on the floor of the case....I think the one on the psu is helping to heat up the psu more than I like, so I may move it to the optical bay. I'll post some pics later today, I need to finish building a pc for my father first.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 pm

so, here's the pictures:

Original configuration

foam feet

New Config

Other little things I did..

added some holes so the psu could breathe a little better

and the case assembled from the front

i think I'm going to have to work on the wiring, it's just that it's annoying, so I put it off.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:02 pm

That looks very nice indeed... :o And i've just told myself not to buy any more cases. I have some trouble fitting the 222x146mm homebrew enclosure in the 6077, but it would be easy in that thing. It would fit on the floor no problems, the passive PSU would act as an intake along with the holes in the rear, and the rear fan would be decently close to the ninja.. The front looks better than the 6077, too. I can't find it in europe though.

Jiggs

Post by Jiggs » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:18 pm

hi ryboto,
whats the sound like with the case? quiet? what are the 2 120mm fans like?
and i like the holes you put under the PSU. did it make much of a difference to sound or temps?
thanks

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Jiggs wrote:hi ryboto,
whats the sound like with the case? quiet? what are the 2 120mm fans like?
and i like the holes you put under the PSU. did it make much of a difference to sound or temps?
thanks
The sound is minimal. I think I got a lemon with my wd3200ks, it's audible even in the Quiet Drive enclosure. Otherwise, the noise level is below the previous arrangement I had in a V1000. Not much lower, but it's definitely not as noticeable, very close to my ambient noise level. This is impressive because the Scythe fans I have are running close to 1k rpm, while previously I had a panaflo and an acoustifan running at 600-700rpm max.

The holes I made helped cool the psu a bit, though, moving the drive off of it probably helped that too. The psu exhaust before the holes actually got very hot, now it only gets warm. I may duct the psu some so that the majority of it's intake is through the floor of the case. As far as sound, the holes had no significance. My system is near inaudible without the hard drives plugged in, only thing noticeable is the zalman fan which I still haven't done a proper swap for. But even that is difficult to hear over ambient noise.