Silverstone TJ04

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LBadvance

Silverstone TJ04

Post by LBadvance » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:59 pm

PROs:
Steel side panels
Nice looking Al front in sexy black
Removable drive cage
Cheap (compared to the SOLO and P180)
Easily obtainable (in where I live)

CONs:
Restrictive Front and rear grills*
Not in the SPCR list

*http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj04.htm It seems to have open rear fan placement now according to the website.

So, if i cut open the front grill and back grill (if there is one) will it make the TJ04 a *good* case for quietness? The only flaw this case has from the posts i've read is restrictive airflow.

Any other caveats I should be aware of this case? Does the side panels vibrate?

TheRove

Post by TheRove » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:02 am

I have no experience with this case so I can't help you, but one thing I've wondered about is that on the Silverstone website it CLEARLY shows the TJ04 with cut-out exhaust mount (similar to the TJ08), whereas in every single review picture I've seen, there's a restrictive perforated venthole. Seems a bit like false advertising to me, not that many people would care. :)

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:33 am

OK, i went for it :lol:

A quick review.

The version you get TODAY has OPEN front and back fan placements. The front planel interface also has square pre-made USB connectors ( the older has ones which u requires you to use the manual to individually plug in pins)

The front is VERY closed. the only openings are the tiny slits on the bottom of the brezel and the gaps for the drives above. This can be easily solved by simply taking the bottom peice out, its just screwed in.

The chassis is very well made and is very heavy and stable. The steel panel however is very thin compared to my Sonata. When i tap it, it makes a "ding ding" hollow sound. On the sonata when i tap it it makes a "thud" sound. This can be easily solved by inserting acoustipack. However the panels do not vibrate at all, and cannot be flexed as well. All the panels can be taken off (including the top) unlike the Sonata.

I opted for a window panel. The plexis DOES make it heavier and more "sound proof".

I never tested the stock fans. It was switched to Yate Loon D12SL as soon as i got it.

For HDD silencing, I never tested the stock one. I took out the drive cage and drilled out the bottom piece of the drive cage. It was then fitted with an Alleycat enclosure. Only seek noise can be heard, all others are gone.

"stock" i would give it a 6/10. Fans and HDD and restricted front airflow would ruin it.

With the above easy steps taken i would give it 8/10. With acousticpak applied (which i haven't) I would give it a 9/10. Only thing to worry about after that is the airflow noise from the exhaust fan and the PSU.