A tale of P180, silence and decent overclocking

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

marcob

A tale of P180, silence and decent overclocking

Post by marcob » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 pm

So, I finally got myself a P180B. It is the rev 1.1, does anyone know what the latest rev. is?

Case inhabitants:
ABit AW9D-MAX
E6600 @ 3.6(9x400) 1.375V
Ultra-120 with Papst 4412-FGL
Papst 4412-FGLL rear exhaust
Zaward ZGF120 front intaker
Standard Antec fan in the lower chamber, set @ low
X850XT w Zalman VF900
Raptor 150Gb(temporary, just for testing)
2 x Seagate 7200.10

A few words about the ABit AW9D-MAX.
As of late, ABit is the only brand those in pursuit of silence and overclocking can seriously take into consideration. The uniquer FanEQ feature is something all other MB makers should consider. It is just amazing what you can do with it. Previously I had a P5B-Deluxe, but since it wasn't able to control the attached fans properly I just had to ship it back(here in germany, if you buy a product over the net, you have 14 days to decide whether you keep it or send it back. no questions asked. nice). Anyway, I really can't stress enough how well this FanEQ feature works. Should there be anything similar to FanEQ from other mobo , please let me know, it never hurts to have other choices as well.
The mobo is stripped of it's normal chipset cooler, on it's south bridge lies now a Zalman ZM-NB47J while on it's north one a HR-05 Sli keeps the chipset decently cool(34C under orthos, 29@ idle). I had to bend the two heatpipes of the HR-05 to make it fit nicely between the gfx card and the Ultra-120 monster, anyway, if you plan to do the same, be careful not to bend too much as the pipes can get damaged.
I also detached the default heatpipes leading to the mosfet cooler behind the CPU socket(very easy, they didn't solder them, only some thermal paste used), so now it only cools those vregs.
I also added some ZM-RHS1 heatsinks on the vregs that feed the chipsets/RAM slots, I know it's overkill, but since I had them around, why not, they are mute anyway ;)

So that would be all the extra there is.

Previously I had a Silentmaxx Big Tower, with 4 80mm silents fans.

Compared to that case, which is a lot taller, this P180, altho smaller, is so well designed it actually offers more space. The cooling is also much better in the P180 and by using 120mm fans, there are only 3(make it 2 if you have only up to two HDD and no raptors) needed instead of 4.
Overall, the system seems to be just as quiet as when using the silentmaxx case, but much better if you have a raptor, the seeking noise of a raptor was horrible in the silentmaxx, also the reason I sold it(this one is not mine, the raptor). While the P180 didn't render the seek crankings mute, it helps a lot, they are still somewhat loud(so I won't get another one) but much much quieter than in the silentmaxx. Anyway, I heard the new T7K500 are really quiet and their performance is good enough for me, so I'll get two and say bye to these rapty forever.

Now comes the bad part, the quality of the P180 is really really bad compared to the siletmaxx. While I had the SM for over 3 years now, I don't give the P180 much of a chance to survive that long. Actually, as I was mounting the front intaker with rubber thingies I managed to broke the little plastic piece that holds the small "door" of the fan so now it won't close nor open properly. The rails that hold the 5.25" units in place are also less than optimal, I don't know how long they will last. The front door, idem. I guess I'll just post in this thread once the things start falling apart.

The way this case is built just reminds me of the way things run over here vs in the states. I won't go into details, but those who can think will know what I mean.

So yes, it's a good case, but crap quality. Good enough for now. Tomorrow? Right, who cares. Too bad Antec didn't care about quality, I would have paid 30-40 eur extra for the same case, just better quality. For them to make it better, it would have costed them maybe $1, but some wise bean counter decided crap is good enough, so there you go.

PS: the only thing I can think off that could have been done better(beside the quality)... well, the case would have been better if only 2-3cm deeper, the lower part gets really crowded with cables when you have 3HDD. With 4 it's even worst, not to speak about 4 P-ATA ones. Horror.
Last edited by marcob on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:55 pm

I built a computer with Asus M2NPV-MX that controlled the fans perfectly as well.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:38 pm

yea i know what you mean about the p180... i have it ... its my favorite case and most likely will be for awhile. the whole front face is fragile.... i broke both the fan latch things off and cracked the benzel when i placed it douwn to hard... but super glue takes care of that....but the inside design by far out weighs the the fragileness if the front

marcob

Post by marcob » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 pm

McBanjo wrote:I built a computer with Asus M2NPV-MX that controlled the fans perfectly as well.
Can you elaborate? Can you set the speed in BIOS?
Are there only presets or you can do it detailed like with the FanEQ?

With the FanEQ you can set manually for each and every fan header how it should behave, what is the reference sensor that shall trigger the speed change etc.(for instance for Aux3 in my case, where my CPU fan is connected, I can say, minimum speeed for 42C or less, maximum for 55C or more; then I can set the voltage for min/max speed).
See here for a screenshot.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Most newer high-end motherboards (eg, P5W, DQ6) let you control lots of fans from software. But so far your board is the only one I've heard of that lets you adjust the BIOS algorithm.

So we either just let the BIOS do its thing, or run SpeedFan instead of usiing the BIOS. The downside of SpeedFan is that the fans run at full speed while booting. Not much of a downside really.

marcob

Post by marcob » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:33 pm

cmthomson wrote:Most newer high-end motherboards (eg, P5W, DQ6) let you control lots of fans from software. But so far your board is the only one I've heard of that lets you adjust the BIOS algorithm.

So we either just let the BIOS do its thing, or run SpeedFan instead of usiing the BIOS. The downside of SpeedFan is that the fans run at full speed while booting. Not much of a downside really.
After a bit of research it looks like ABit started employing this FanEQ thing starting 2005, and all of their current mainboards kinda have it.
The way I understand it, this thing runs off the uGuru chip which direcly monitors all sensons on the boards, so the reaction time is better than anything else and it starts even before the bBIOS screen appears, actually it starts ~500ms after the computer was powered on.

I was also accustomed to using software for controlling this kind of stuff, previously I had a DFI and there I had 3 fans I oculd control as wished. The same with the other boards in the past. But this feature is much better, it really lets you control everything without needing any additional piece of software. I know Speedfan is a light piece of software, with only a few MB of memory cosumed and a decent load time, but Speedfan doesn't really support all the boards out there, and then the MB don't implement everything right, for instance with my P5B Deluxe I couldn't use the CPU fan header because my fan doesn't employ a 4-pin connector(like most of the fans out there) and all other fan ports were not controlled independently, meaning, all fans had only a control altogether(PWM4 IIRC which controlled all chassis fan ports).

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 am

marcob wrote:
McBanjo wrote:I built a computer with Asus M2NPV-MX that controlled the fans perfectly as well.
Can you elaborate? Can you set the speed in BIOS?
Are there only presets or you can do it detailed like with the FanEQ?

With the FanEQ you can set manually for each and every fan header how it should behave, what is the reference sensor that shall trigger the speed change etc.(for instance for Aux3 in my case, where my CPU fan is connected, I can say, minimum speeed for 42C or less, maximum for 55C or more; then I can set the voltage for min/max speed).
See here for a screenshot.
It was rather detailed both in BIOS but primary in Windows. But I can't recall any volt-choice but just min and max temp.
It turned off the fans in min and full speed in max. I was positivly suprised. I put max at 55C but since that computer most likely never will hit that then the fans will never reach max

naitsirk

Post by naitsirk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 am

Hallois

I'm just in the process of putting together my new build with P180B and AW9D-MAX and have a little question I hope you can help me with..

The P180B comes with three stock-fans, but since they've got IDE power connections I'm not sure how I should go about getting them connected to my mobo for speed control.. Any suggestion? Do I have to get some other fans, or are there some nice adapter cables I should get?

I've got the corsair 620hx with modular cables if that's of any use..? :/

Cheers,

Glenn

kakazza

Post by kakazza » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:54 am

If you mean the TriCool fans, they are controlled by a switch: High, Mid, Low speed. :)

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:53 am

cmthomson wrote:The downside of SpeedFan is that the fans run at full speed while booting. Not much of a downside really.
Not really. I have a P5W DH Deluxe and I can control the fans by BIOS with ASUS Q-Fan (silent mode) when booting, and later when speedfan starts in windows then it takes control over the BIOS and fans are then software controlled.

I also could made this with my old Asus A8V SE Deluxe and with my Asus K8N-SLI Deluxe, and I think that it can be done with any asus board with Asus Q-Fan.