Suggest-a-case!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

claude05

Suggest-a-case!

Post by claude05 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:16 pm

So I am ready to purchase a new case for my system. My old case, while tried and true is no longer cutting it with regards to acoustics and cooling.
I've been looking at a few lian li and Antec cases but I'm finding it hard to make any choice whatsoever, so I'll let you guys sell me on a case, with a few caveats:

1. As quiet as possible
2. Needn't look like a refrigerator (Small-ish) but still ATX
3. good cooling as I am hoping to add a small overclock to my processor (120mm fans a must)
4. MUST have air filters ( my place is notoriously dusty, despite my obsessive cleaning habits)
5. Must be elegant and somewhat conservative. I've seen starwars enough times, I don't want a case that looks like Darth Vader with glowing Blue LED lights for eyes, I'm not that big a fan, thanks.) I was looking more towards the Antec Solo/P150, or the Lian Li A05 or v600 cases ( I don't know if any of these come with air filters but they are attractive cases and that held my interests).
6.hopefully under $150 US

Thanks for your help!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Hello,

Antec Solo would seem to fit the bill. It is a good case for quieting, has a filter, and I think it looks pretty good.

What was the question? :wink:

JLee

Post by JLee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm

What are your thoughts on a Silverstone TJ09?

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:25 pm

from personal experience i recommend:

for ATX: Solo/P150 (white/black)
for mATX: NSK3300

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 am

My 2 cents:

I ran into the same problem; I couldn't find a case design I liked that had only 120mm fans. The Solo or P150 (I'm buying one) seem to be what you are looking for, alhtough they do have (2) 92mm fans in front. I'm going to mod my P150 to take a 120mm in front. But the those 2 smaller front fans might be a drawback -or at least something to know up-front.

Also, a quiet-computing case won't quiet your system all that much; what it will do is avoid additional noise like rattling and resonatiing, and then allow you to focus on each fan -making each one speed controlled, or naturally thermally-controlled quiet like a power supply. You can make a very quiet computer this way.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:12 pm

With a reasonable airflow, you might not even need the front intake fans. Cut out the fan grills, and let the rear 120 mm fan do all the work.

My case had 2 front intake fans (80 mm), I removed them (and the fan grills) and the temps are still the same (better even, after a few other changes).

Artanis

Re: Suggest-a-case!

Post by Artanis » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:25 pm

You were already leaning towards the SOLO so i'll just point out a few more details

1. My SOLO has made my system much quieter. The sound dampening sides, grommets and HDD suspension means I can hardly hear my Raptors grind.
2. Still ATX and reasonably sized. Doesn't look like a fridge to me
3. Rear 120mm fan plus 2 90mm fans at the front for intake :)
4. Dust filter included for both front intakes
5. Very elegant and sleek in my opinion ;)
6. Prices range from $60US to $90US depending on where you get it.

A very well designed case by Antec :D

claude05

Post by claude05 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:01 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies so far. The antec Solo does seem to fit the bill, so I will look into it. Though I'd like like to see it first hand before I make a decision. The silverstone cases have always impressed me, but alas they are way out of my budget leage for the most part. I saw a video review of the TJ09 (?) and was thoroughly bowled over.

simonnance

Post by simonnance » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:22 pm

JLee wrote:What are your thoughts on a Silverstone TJ09?
in his price range? where are you buying from, as if you can get a TJ09 for that cheap I WANT ONE!!!

Lian-Li PC-7b? very good price for an excellent case! For that price you can buy your own filters.

Sleek, minimalist, aluminum, and Lian-Li build quaility!

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:59 pm

I just got through putting my computer back together using an Antec Solo. I don't have much experience with any of the newer cases other than it. It is a real nice case.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:55 pm

What about an Antec SLK3000B with the side vents blocked (plus the slot at the base of the front bezel blocked as well)? It's panned by the bling crowd as being boring (I think it's nicely understated) and has 120mm fan ports at front and rear (Tricool included for rear). Plus it comes without a PSU like the Solo.

If only it had the front port connections of the Solo or Sonata II................

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:48 pm

The HDD mounting in the 3000B is crap, and it's flimsy. The Solo is much, much better. Two 92mm fans can move at least he same amount of air as one 120mm fan at the same noise level. In any case you would most likely only want to use one 92mm fan to cool the HDD anyway, you don't need the front fans to cool the rest of the system under normal circumstances.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 pm

nici wrote:The HDD mounting in the 3000B is crap, and it's flimsy.
Agreed, this is why I use it as a cage for suspending the drives. I just copied the idea of some others here and placed the cage on it's side on a bed of foam. Simple, works great and is easy to work with.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 am

Well I finally made a decision.

I didn't really like the way the Antec Solo looked and I'm much more into the minimalist, unobtrusive look of the Lian Li cases (of which I've always wanted one) so I went ahead and ordered the Lian Li PC-A05B from newegg.com.

It has a pair of 120mm fans, plenty of space, can handle 3 drives with my 8800gts installed, on top of being small-ish and stylish (which will be a welcome change to the current iron, air sucking, behemoth I have under my desk). I't doesn't have dust filters which is a con, but since it's only $89.99 I think I could figure something out.

I think I will try and write up a review of the case once I get it at the end of the week since there isn't much info out on there at the moment.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 am

Check out ryboto's thread about the A05 in the gallery. It's a nice case :)

claude05

Post by claude05 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:51 am

I did check out the gallery. It was part of the reason why I decided to bite the bullet and order it. I'm excited to finally move on to something not resembling an old server. :lol: