Help choosing a case.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Orsenfelt

Help choosing a case.

Post by Orsenfelt » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:20 am

Hi there, I'm looking to build a somewhat top of the range PC soon, So I am researching all the bits and peices like fury =)

I have most of it down, except one thing.. The Case. I have several in mind but I can't help but thinking I have maybe missed the 'perfect' case lol.

Choices so far:
Antec P180
Lian Li V1100
Coolermaster Stacker 830

Whats going in it: Core2Duo E6600 | eVGA 8800GTX KO ACS3 | 2 WD Se16 250Gb HDD's | Asus p5b Deluxe | Corsair HX520 | Tuniq Tower 120 | Samsung S-ATA DVD-RW | 2gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator RAM | Dominator Cooler

Basically, I started off really liking the P180, but As I seen more pics, Read more reviews.. I don't think its for me, It all seems very cramped and to get the best out of it you need a certain 'set' of components.

I prefer larger cases, No windows, Lots of room for wire management / expansion. Obviously I'd like to keep everything cooled and quiet. Oh and I prefer Black.. lol.

I like the look of the V1100, Although I havn't been able to find much in the way of reviews or pictures =(

The Stacker seems to be the case for those who don't change cases, Plenty of room for expansion etc.. but I feel it's not really for me looks wise, Big Bulky and not sleek at-all..

So, What are my other choices? Surely theres a case out there I havn't seen yet =)

Thanks,
Orsenfelt

simonnance

Post by simonnance » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 am

the Lian Li V1100 looks pretty damm good, and i have heard good things about it. Also worth considering:

Lian-Li PC-7
Akasa Eclipse 62 (if you can buy it where you are) Hexus review here: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=907&page=1

I have the latter, damm good case, tons of space to work with and easy to cable-manage. Optional extra sidepannel with fan or window, removable motherboard tray (though with all that space, you dont really need it), fits 8800GTX, deep enough for pretty much all tower heatsinks (my Ultra-120 has tons of room!).

Downside is you need to provide your own fans, but if you want quiet you'll be doing that anyway. My case's worst offenders on sound are the seek-clicks from my Raptor, and the 80mm in my PSU, so with a Corsair HX520, and WD SEs/Samsung you should be pretty good as i think they are a fair bit quieter.

Good case overall though!

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 am

The key with the P180 is cable management, it's a very tall case with items positioned for cooling reasons exactly opposite of the location that board designers expect them.

I am actually planning a build a system very similar to yours in the new P182, and my current gaming PC is in the P180.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 am

Orsenfelt wrote:The Stacker seems to be the case for those who don't change cases, Plenty of room for expansion etc.. but I feel it's not really for me looks wise, Big Bulky and not sleek at-all..
830 is mid-tower and really doesn't deserve Stacker name.
Only original STC-T01 and RC-810 deserve that name.

If you have trouble finding images of various cases this shop has darn good images of cases they have:
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/def ... p?cPath=29

You really need to remember that 8800GTX is longer than width of motherboard and requires case with bigger depth/length than normal. For example P180 is very cramped for it unless you remove upper HD rack.

PPGMD wrote:The key with the P180 is cable management, it's a very tall case
Wrong, it's short case!

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:46 am

this is off topic but where can u buy the p182

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:18 pm

P182 has not been released yet.