Antec SOLO mounting issues

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

fjodor2000

Antec SOLO mounting issues

Post by fjodor2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,

I have an Antec SOLO case and have some questions regarding the mounting of the devices in it.

1. Where should the HD be placed to minimize the amount of noise? Should it be placed in the bottom, middle, or top drive bay?

2. When mounting the HD using the rubber-bands, the HD seems to rest on the rubber grommets under it. Is this intended, or have I just not tightened the rubber bands enough (i.e. shouldn't the HD be "free floating" - only fixated by the rubber bands)?

3. I have bought an Apacer AE161 internal card reader (see http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Inter ... _AE161.htm) which I intended to mount in the 3.5" slot where the disk drive otherwise would be placed. However, the position of the screw holes in the 3.5" slot of the Antec SOLO case does not seem to match the holes in the Apacer card reader very well, so the front of the card reader will be inside the case when mounted (instead of aligned with the case front panel as intended). I have checked with my old case, and there the 3.5" slot has "longer" (horizontal) holes for the screws which makes it possible to mount the Apacer card reader correctly. Has anyone encountered similar problems with the Antec SOLO case, or do you know how to solve the problem (e.g. perhaps there is another way of mounting devices in the 3.5" slot?)?

Thanks.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:13 am

1) It don't matter

2) you either use the trays or the rubber bands not both. Though some peoople leave the tray in to catch the hd in case the bands fail. As for the tightness, it should be one twist in tightness, no more, no less for a 3.5 inch HD

3) not sure about this problem as i have not encoutered it. so i can't really help there. maybe there are holes on teh bottom for aligning the card reader instead of on the side?

SouthPaw

Re: Antec SOLO mounting issues

Post by SouthPaw » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 am

fjodor2000 wrote:Hi,
2. When mounting the HD using the rubber-bands, the HD seems to rest on the rubber grommets under it. Is this intended, or have I just not tightened the rubber bands enough (i.e. shouldn't the HD be "free floating" - only fixated by the rubber bands)?
Read page 5 of the manual...

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:27 pm

SouthPaw wrote:
Didn't know there was a manual included until you told me. I had another look and found it among the packing protecting the case. Not an ideal place to put the manual if you ask me... I was just about to throw the packing away actually!

Oh well, I managed to mount the case correctly apart from this anyway... ;)

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 pm

unibomber51 wrote:1) It don't matter

2) you either use the trays or the rubber bands not both. Though some peoople leave the tray in to catch the hd in case the bands fail. As for the tightness, it should be one twist in tightness, no more, no less for a 3.5 inch HD

3) not sure about this problem as i have not encoutered it. so i can't really help there. maybe there are holes on teh bottom for aligning the card reader instead of on the side?
2) I used only the rubber/textile bands, but still left the silicon grommets in place but without using any screws. I have however now read page 5 in the manual as mentioned in a post below, and found the correct way to mount the HD. Thanks.

3) Checked the card reader, but there are no holes on the bottom side of it unfortunately.

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 pm

fjodor2000 wrote:
SouthPaw wrote:
Didn't know there was a manual included until you told me. I had another look and found it among the packing protecting the case. Not an ideal place to put the manual if you ask me... I was just about to throw the packing away actually!

Oh well, I managed to mount the case correctly apart from this anyway... ;)
I did not notice the manual either until I was cutting the UPC off the box for the rebate. :oops: Mine was also just loose in the cloth-like bag that was surrounding the case. Not a great place for the manual, but I was impressed with the cloth-like bag that protected the finish on the case during shipping.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:39 pm

fjodor2000 wrote:3. I have bought an Apacer AE161 internal card reader (see http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Inter ... _AE161.htm) which I intended to mount in the 3.5" slot where the disk drive otherwise would be placed. However, the position of the screw holes in the 3.5" slot of the Antec SOLO case does not seem to match the holes in the Apacer card reader very well, so the front of the card reader will be inside the case when mounted (instead of aligned with the case front panel as intended). I have checked with my old case, and there the 3.5" slot has "longer" (horizontal) holes for the screws which makes it possible to mount the Apacer card reader correctly. Has anyone encountered similar problems with the Antec SOLO case, or do you know how to solve the problem (e.g. perhaps there is another way of mounting devices in the 3.5" slot?)?
1) pull this slot out. Notice taht it the mounting rails have 8 holes.

2)unscrew the screws on the rail and remount so that the rails are closer to the front of the case

fjodor2000

Post by fjodor2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00 am

unibomber51 wrote:
fjodor2000 wrote:3. I have bought an Apacer AE161 internal card reader (see http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Inter ... _AE161.htm) which I intended to mount in the 3.5" slot where the disk drive otherwise would be placed. However, the position of the screw holes in the 3.5" slot of the Antec SOLO case does not seem to match the holes in the Apacer card reader very well, so the front of the card reader will be inside the case when mounted (instead of aligned with the case front panel as intended). I have checked with my old case, and there the 3.5" slot has "longer" (horizontal) holes for the screws which makes it possible to mount the Apacer card reader correctly. Has anyone encountered similar problems with the Antec SOLO case, or do you know how to solve the problem (e.g. perhaps there is another way of mounting devices in the 3.5" slot?)?
1) pull this slot out. Notice taht it the mounting rails have 8 holes.

2)unscrew the screws on the rail and remount so that the rails are closer to the front of the case
Unfortunately, moving the rails closer to the front of the case will result in the opposite, i.e. it will result in the front of the card reader sinking even further into the case. If anything, I would have benefitted from moving the rails further away from the front of the case, but that is not possible given the position of the screw holes for the rails.

Djang

Post by Djang » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:58 am

HEhehe, I had the same problem with that card reader.
I used some tyrips and the rails and now it fits perfectly.
Just wrap it up in the the floppy cage.

pverp

Post by pverp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:44 am

I'm having the same problem too. Are tyrips going to cut it? Sure, they'll hold the drive in place initially, but doesn't it move every time you put a memory card in a slot?

notquitequiet

Post by notquitequiet » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:45 am

I'm just finishing building a Solo system. I built a P150 system 1-2 years ago. NEITHER of them lined up with the floppy/card readers. These are two different drives from different companies. Antec is either giving us a puzzle to play with or they're forgetting to drill a few holes. I used an electric drill to make mine work on the P150. I'm charging the drill so that I can finish the Solo system. If you're considering doing this, please wear safety glasses and leather gloves.

I'm half tempted to leave the card reader out, but this will be a HTPC of sorts.

pverp

Post by pverp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:53 am

Well, I've gone off and tried the tyrips, and it works wonderfully well. It took 6 rips, but the baby sits as tight as a tick!