Lian Li A05B Review

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

claude05

Lian Li A05B Review

Post by claude05 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I posted this case review just a little while ago at http://www.nvnews.net and I thought you guys would like to see it. Thanks to Ryboto for his helpful and patient answers and thanks to the rest of you who helped me with my decision.

I've been looking for a small, stylish and most importantly quiet case for a while to house my computer. My previous case was a full tower cheming(sp?) case with 4 80mm fans. as far as cooling was concerned it no longer was capable of keeping my components cool without my having to ramp up the speeds on the fans to an intolerable noise level.
After doing some research and talking with the guys at Silent PC review I narrowed my choices down and finally made a decision. I purchased the new Lian Li A05B case. So far I am very impressed and thought you guys would like a small review in case you should be looking for something similar.

The A05B next to my Cheming case

I needed something small since my apartment isn't very big and I need to keep as much real estate as I can. Also I needed the case to be as quiet as possible and I knew 80mm fans wouldn't cut it, so 120mm fans were a must. As far as looks, I wanted something Minimal, low on garrish LED's, and stylish.

The A05B, like the V1000 series, places the MB upside down, notice the Power supply plug at the bottom, I'll explain this in a bit

The dimensions of the case are W8.26'' x H15'' x D19.3''. Despite its small size it's considered a Midtower case and in fact does hold motherboards up to 12"x9.6" in size with room to spare. It comes equipped with 2x 120mm fans that run at about 1500rpms, but unlike most (I imagine) cases, the airflow is reversed. This means that the hottest parts (especially the CPU) gets the coolest air first.

The Airflow is from Back to Front!

Another unusual thing about the case is its placement of the Power Supply. The PSU is placed in the front of the case with what would normally face the back facing the front, in doing this the PSU is now also used as a front exhaust!

The A05B with the front cover removed.

The front cover easily pops off to reveal the Drive bezels, power buttons, front 120mm exhaust fan and the oddly placed Power supply. The case comes with a 90 degree plug that connects to the PSU and goes from the front of the case to the back socket where the normal Power supply plug is then attached. The Power supply is held in place by a face plate attached to the front by 4 thumbscrews for easy removal and is held up in the case by an "L" bracket that holds it about an half inch from the case floor.

PSU face plate with thumbscrews

The case holds 2 DVD/cd drives and a Floppy drive. The Harddrive cage can hold 3 Harddrives. It uses rubber gromits that attach to rails, this keeps vibrations down and holds the drives securely. My drives are virtually silent now and that is a big improvement! Due to the size of my 8800GTS and the placement of its power plug it makes it difficult to place a drive on the top-most rail, those of you with smaller video cards will have no problem populating all three rails should you want to.

The Harddrive cage. If you look at the top of the cage you can see the rail system

The panels on both sides of the case are held with thumbscrews and come of easily. Despite being made of thin aluminum, the panels feel sturdy and have some weight to them. They fit perfectly and tightly so there is no worry about them resonating.

Both side panels off. The second image shows my quickie cable routing job.

The case gives you enough space to route and hide cables. I tried to keep the cables organized and once I have more time I will do a better job but so far, with minimal effort, it's much better than what was possible with my old case.

The top of the case sports hidden USB/FireWire/Audio ports. This is great for someone (like me) who likes to keep their case on the floor.

Stealth Ports FTW!

For this to be an objective review I have to give you some of the bad along with the good. The Airflow, while interesting, could be problematic with some configurations. I imagine it would be somewhat impeded if the entire Harddrive cage was populated. However I have to point out that quite a large volume of air can be felt coming out of the front so perhaps my speculations are incorrect.

My CPU runs very, very cool (remember it's getting the coolest air first) but, at idle, my 8800GTS is running about 3C to 5C hotter. Warm air pools at the top-back and keeps the area noticebly warmer than the rest of the case, despite all the perforations meant to let hot air seep out.I run everything at stock, so my heat output is much less than some of you on this site who are overclocking your components. I will add that I am happy with the temps in contrast to the noise levels. With this in mind, however, I would hesitate to recommend it for overclockers without considering modding the case to add a top or side fan for further ventilation or using it for a watercooled rig.

As it stands with its two 120mm case fans, my Zalman 7000alcu, single 120mm fan PSU, and the surprisingly quiet 8800GTS, the case is fairly quiet. It's not silent, but it is very quiet, especially when under my desk. I will be changing the fans someday soon to Yate Loons, and perhaps changing some other components to make it even more silent (this quiet stuff is addictive...)

One more thing, if you are looking for an HTPC case I think this would be perfect with one caveat: you need to be able to control the speed of the DVD drive. Since the A05B is so light, at 16x the drive spins fast enough to shake the case and this makes quite a bit of noise. I'm currently using Nero Drive speed to control the spinning of the drive. I set it to a minimum, about 4x when watching movies, and it's almost silent.

So far I am very happy with this purchase. The case is everything I wanted. I couldn't be more pleased. I hope this review helps you if you are looking for something similar. Thanks for your time and attention.:D

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:54 pm

One thing about the design; it seems an odd design choice, with the PSU fan and the system fan fighting for airflow, as the PSU blows it out while the system fan sucks it in. So the cool air tends to be "caught" by the PSU to an extent (even if heat rises) plus the heat from the PSU is getting sucked into the system fan (again, because heat rises), increasing the temperature of the air being sucked into the system.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:57 pm

Shadowknight wrote:One thing about the design; it seems an odd design choice, with the PSU fan and the system fan fighting for airflow, as the PSU blows it out while the system fan sucks it in. So the cool air tends to be "caught" by the PSU to an extent (even if heat rises) plus the heat from the PSU is getting sucked into the system fan (again, because heat rises), increasing the temperature of the air being sucked into the system.
Actually, the front fan is an exhaust. It's sucking air out of the case, and so is the PSU. They work together quite nicely.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:58 pm

claude05 wrote: Actually, the front fan is an exhaust. It's sucking air out of the case, and so is the PSU. They work together quite nicely.
Oh, I just skimmed through the content of your post and mostly looked at the pictures. I didn't notice the CD-ROM drives above the PSU and system fan :oops:
Last edited by Shadowknight on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Runn3r

Post by Runn3r » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:28 am

Great work Claude05

Most impressed with the time and effort you must have taken in your review.

Look forward to more reviews of this kind from you and others who actually OWN the equipment under review.

regards
Runn3r

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:32 am

I thought the air from the front exhaust fan would have trouble getting out throught the tiny vents on the sides of the bezel. Aparently it doesn't. :shock:

phrygius

Post by phrygius » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Claude05,

Nice review--and nice pictures.

Can I ask what camera you're using? Impressive resolution!

J. Sparrow

Re: Lian Li A05B Review

Post by J. Sparrow » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:42 pm

claude05 wrote:Since the A05B is so light, at 16x the drive spins fast enough to shake the case and this makes quite a bit of noise.
:shock: is it SO light? maybe it's time to shop for a new DVD reader/burner...

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:20 pm

I've built one system in this case and also had a friend go the same route with his AM2 build, it's a great case.

Since I don't think I saw it mentioned I would like to point out that the fans are also soft-mounted. And although it's a pain to get fan in the HD cage it is possible to swap out the fans (In my case I used Yate Loons), the original screws and soft-mounts are standard so they'll work with any fan.

The plastic grill on the rear intake looked a bit more restrictive then it needed to be so I took it off and put the wire frame grill (normally on the interior side) in it's place.

PS.

Remove the cheap piece of junk that Asus tries to pass off as a chipset HS/F and you'll have a very nice system there. 8)

claude05

Post by claude05 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:56 pm

phrygius

Claude05,

Nice review--and nice pictures.

Can I ask what camera you're using? Impressive resolution!
I'm using an Olympus E300 with the 14-54mm lens on a tripod and a small strobe flash on a stand with an umbrella for light.

J. Sparrow

claude05 wrote:
Since the A05B is so light, at 16x the drive spins fast enough to shake the case and this makes quite a bit of noise.

is it SO light? maybe it's time to shop for a new DVD reader/burner...
I have an NEC 3550A, it reads DVDs at 16x, and since my case isn't packed to the gills it's forceful enough to jiggle it some.

Operandi

I've built one system in this case and also had a friend go the same route with his AM2 build, it's a great case.

Since I don't think I saw it mentioned I would like to point out that the fans are also soft-mounted. And although it's a pain to get fan in the HD cage it is possible to swap out the fans (In my case I used Yate Loons), the original screws and soft-mounts are standard so they'll work with any fan.

The plastic grill on the rear intake looked a bit more restrictive then it needed to be so I took it off and put the wire frame grill (normally on the interior side) in it's place.

PS.

Remove the cheap piece of junk that Asus tries to pass off as a chipset HS/F and you'll have a very nice system there.
I will remove it as soon as possible. My only problem is finding something that will fit since my 8800GTS fits right over it and doesn't leave much room. None of the passive Zalmans can fit even with trimming them some.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:37 pm

claude05 wrote:I will remove it as soon as possible. My only problem is finding something that will fit since my 8800GTS fits right over it and doesn't leave much room. None of the passive Zalmans can fit even with trimming them some.
I think THIS should work for you. The only downside I see is that the 8800GTS would suck in the hot air generated by it, but at the same time you would have a cool running northbridge. :)

beoba

Post by beoba » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:10 pm

The case looks really beautiful, but I haven't found any reviews for it, nor its silver-colored sister, the A05a. I'm curious about the following, though you covered a lot of it in your review (thanks!):

- How's the sound?
- Hows the airflow? Are those vents along the sides of the front panel sufficient for exhaust?
- What sort of temperatures are you getting? What components are being used to get those temperatures?
- Now that you've been using the case for a while, have any issues come up?

I'm sorta undecided between this guy and the Antec Solo. The Solo has a lot of great reviews, but the A05b looks really gorgeous and has a size that I've been looking for. Before committing, I wanted to check whether this case sacrifices much as far as sound/temperature compared to the Solo (or other Recommended cases), and whether the reverse airflow idea is really effective or just a gimmick.

Thanks again!

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Have you checked the noise and temperature of the PSU? The lack of space for the fan is going to be bad for airflow and gonna cause a bit more noise.,I've had bad experiance with a previous case using this layout because my PSU had a 92mm intake which caused a hell lot more noise when it is installed (although slower fans would fare better),

beoba

Post by beoba » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Yeah I was thinking about that too, as far as PSUs whose fans are on the side (rather than on the back) are concerned.

This thread says that the PSU bracket on the front side of the case can be detatched and rotated, thus allowing you to have the PSU face either upwards or downwards. On pages 6 and 8, owners of the case estimate around 3/4"-1" of clearance between the bottom of the case and the bottom of the PSU, which might(?) be sufficient for a PSU whose intake faces downwards.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:54 am

its an interesting design.

My only real concern is the fact that you will have 2x 120mm fans at the front of the case near the seated position.

If i were you, id replace the mobo with one that puts the northbridge someplace that can be passivly cooled, and not directly under the video expansion slot. Also, drop the zalman heatsink on the CPU and put a ninja on it. With an intake fan that close to the CPU socket, you would be able to cool the CPU with no fan on the heatsink.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 pm

beoba wrote:
- How's the sound?
- Hows the airflow? Are those vents along the sides of the front panel sufficient for exhaust?
- What sort of temperatures are you getting? What components are being used to get those temperatures?
- Now that you've been using the case for a while, have any issues come up?
1. The case is quiet, not silent, but it is quiet. Now this is subjective and I'm pretty sure that for some here at SPCR this case might be too much for them, but I am more than pleased at the sound level. I'm sitting about 2 1/2 feet above the case and I can hear a slight hum when the room is completely quiet.I have a A8n-e mobo with a Northbridge fan running at 6250rpms (!!) and this is definitely the component making the most audible noise. If I replaced it with a quieter fan or a passive heatsink then the sound would diminish even more. In this case the harddrives are silent. They were pretty quiet in my last case but you could hear them accessing here and there. With the rubber grommit rail system they are silent, silent, silent.

2. The airflow is definitely sufficient. There's quite a bit of air coming out those vents.

3. I'm currently running an x2 3800 running at stock, 2x250g WD harddrives, an 8800gts running at stock, and an enermax liberty 500w PSU that has a single bottom 120mm fan. Currently my idle temps are (the heating is on in my apartment since it's winter here in NYC, it's considerably warmer than it would normally be. I'm in shorts and a t-shirt and it's 28 degrees F outside...) HD's 35c, CPU 38c, NB 40c, case is 29c Video card 62c. When the heat isn't on you can subtract about 5-9c respectively from all the temps except the hard drives, they're usually 3-4c cooler.

4. So far no annoyances have come up that I can think of. I am really, really happy with this case.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Aris wrote:its an interesting design.

My only real concern is the fact that you will have 2x 120mm fans at the front of the case near the seated position.

If i were you, id replace the mobo with one that puts the northbridge someplace that can be passivly cooled, and not directly under the video expansion slot. Also, drop the zalman heatsink on the CPU and put a ninja on it. With an intake fan that close to the CPU socket, you would be able to cool the CPU with no fan on the heatsink.
These are things I am considering. At the moment however I am really quite satisfied with the level of sound. The fan from my PSu is silent and the Fan from the case is pretty darn quiet so they're hardly an issue.
Perhaps when it starts getting warmer here in NYC I will opt for some quieter and better cooling components. I am running the Zalman at 1700rpms and I can't hear it over the NB fan.

beoba

Post by beoba » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Going by the pictures it looks like the northbridge fan is right by the GPU. Are there any issues with heat collecting in the GPU area? That might be causing the northbridge to freak out if it's got a temp-sensing fan.

Also, how's the space between the PSU and the case? Is the PSU breathing okay? Looks like the PSU has some small vents along the backside too, so I spose it can't be too bad.

claude05

Post by claude05 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:02 am

beoba wrote:Going by the pictures it looks like the northbridge fan is right by the GPU. Are there any issues with heat collecting in the GPU area? That might be causing the northbridge to freak out if it's got a temp-sensing fan.

Also, how's the space between the PSU and the case? Is the PSU breathing okay? Looks like the PSU has some small vents along the backside too, so I spose it can't be too bad.
Heat tends to collect right above the Video card, that pocket is always warmer than the rest of the case. The A8n-e runs its NB fan screaming fast regardless, so no that's not the reason.
I've had long gaming sessions after which I opened up the case and touched the PSU, its never even been warm to the touch. The PSU is getting more than enough air. Also my enermax is surprisingly small, which is probably why it works well in this case. One of those 800-1000w behemoths might be too tight.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:23 pm

claude05 wrote:
Heat tends to collect right above the Video card, that pocket is always warmer than the rest of the case.
This is the same issue I had when I was using a VF900. Swapped for an HR-03, and now i don't have a ton of heat in the top of the case. The hottest component in my system is the PWM circuitry, with an Ultra-120 not much airflow gets to them, a zalman 7000 series must help with that.

beoba

Post by beoba » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 pm

VF900? HR-03? PWM?

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:16 pm

VF900 = Zalman VGA cooler.
HR-03 = Thermalright VGA cooler.
PWM = Power circuitry on the motherboard.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm

To replace the noisy ASUS chipset fan, I'd suggest looking at the Thermalright HR-05 SLI. It's designed for SLI motherboards, which I don't think you have, but it could work on yours and allow you to take out that noisy fan.

I'm not sure about what to do with heat building up above the graphics card. Isn't the stock 8800 cooler exhausting air out the back? If it's not enough, you could buy a separate Antec blower fan that mounts in an expansion slot. That could help exhaust air out the back. But with so many exhausts, you'll have a very negative pressure case.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:50 pm

wwenze wrote:Have you checked the noise and temperature of the PSU? The lack of space for the fan is going to be bad for airflow and gonna cause a bit more noise.,I've had bad experiance with a previous case using this layout because my PSU had a 92mm intake which caused a hell lot more noise when it is installed (although slower fans would fare better),
I've been eye-balling this case for a while now. First:
claude05 wrote:I've had long gaming sessions after which I opened up the case and touched the PSU, its never even been warm to the touch. The PSU is getting more than enough air. Also my enermax is surprisingly small, which is probably why it works well in this case. One of those 800-1000w behemoths might be too tight.
If you really had a problem with the PSU getting too hot, and/or the PSU fan ramping up, I think you could cut a big 120 mm hole in the bottom of the case. Of course ryboto sort of did this; I was thinking you could take a Dremel tool and cut one large hole (instead of a bunch of small ones).

Plus, my hunch is that if you put a modest "business" system in here (e.g. integrated graphics, Brisbane x2 3600), you wouldn't generate much heat in the first place.

Lian Li generally doesn't receive too much attention on SPCR (in my experience). I think it's the combination of rattle-prone aluminum and generally poor cooling/silencing features. But the latter seems to be somewhat addressed with at least a couple of their latest models.

See also this thread if you haven't already.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 pm

matt_garman wrote:

If you really had a problem with the PSU getting too hot, and/or the PSU fan ramping up, I think you could cut a big 120 mm hole in the bottom of the case. Of course ryboto sort of did this; I was thinking you could take a Dremel tool and cut one large hole (instead of a bunch of small ones).
now that I have a dremel, I'm actually considering doing this. Only thing is, I was going to upgrade to a fanless Zen, so, the hole wouldn't have as much of a positive effect on cooling. Still, a hole will be a better dedicated cool air source for fanned PSU's.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Is the hard drive cage removable? I've seen pictures.. LianLi says they are on the product page, but it looks like the cage is rivited in. =\

DG

Post by DG » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:30 am

It's rivited.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:36 pm

More questions! :D

Does tapping on the side panel give a thudding or a rasping sound? A thud would be similar to what you get on the P180, a rasp is what you get from thin metal side panels.

1 = thud, 10 = rasp. Where is the side panels of the A05B rated in there?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:14 am

[F]bernZ wrote:More questions! :D

Does tapping on the side panel give a thudding or a rasping sound? A thud would be similar to what you get on the P180, a rasp is what you get from thin metal side panels.

1 = thud, 10 = rasp. Where is the side panels of the A05B rated in there?
I would have to say 5, not quite a thud, but not a rasp, nowhere near the clangy ratchet that the V1000 panels resonate/vibrate.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 am

I guess I should condense all my questions together eh.... :lol: :lol:

Are the side panels thick and heavy enough to effectively block out a good chunk of hard drive idle noise?