Which case: Lian Li B20A/101/A10A or Antec P180

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Vampirtc

Which case: Lian Li B20A/101/A10A or Antec P180

Post by Vampirtc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 pm

I can't decide between the following cases. I love the classic style on all though I think Lian Li look better. Is Antec all in plastic on the outside? The problem is that where I live there is no chance to see either in person. Anyone saw Lian Li and Antec together and can share the impression?

The second requirment is that the case provides some dampens system, especially for hard drives (I will probably run Raid0). How do the cases compare in that deparment?

The case will be used for C2D CPU and atm X1950 Pro graphic card later DX10.

Lian Li PC-B20A for 135€
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1011

or

Lian Li PC-101 for 143€
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article632-page1.html

or

Lian Li PC-A10A for 199€
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/ ... /index.htm

or

Antec P180 silver for 124€
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article249-page1.html

PS: I could wait for P182 as well.
Last edited by Vampirtc on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

error406

Re: Which case: Lian Li B20A/101/A10A or Antec P180

Post by error406 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Vampirtc wrote:I can't decide between the following cases. I love the classic style on all though I think Lian Li look better. Is Antec all in plastic on the outside? The problem is that where I live there is no chance to see either in person. Anyone saw Lian Li and Antec together and can share the impression?
I've seen all of these cases, and my personal and totally subjective opinion is: the Antec looks so fugly and cheap I won't allow it in my house. It's really a world of difference. (Even my wive thought the Lian-Li's were beautiful, and she's more the my-white-plastic-iBook-is-so-cute type... But then again I'm one of those people who will gladly pay a premium for design.

But if you want silent (which i guess is why you're here), you will have to put in some work if you go for Lian-Li. I choose the A10A and I'm removing the existing hdd-cages, putting in dampening, replacing the fans and changing the silly Lian-Li airflow. It's not a complicated mod, but it does take a bit of effort and extra money. But after thar the case wil have plenty of room for the 6 decoupled harddisks I'm eventually planning to put in.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm

The Antec is Aluminium on the outside - not plastic. From what I understand most Lian-Li cases have pants cooling for HDD's.

Andy

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 pm

One of those Lian Li's has only 1 rear 80mm fan -which is too small in my view. Better to have a larger rear 120mm run at lower rpm's -which allows for greater cooling potential on a hot day too at higher rpm's. You can even dremmel out the exhaust grate.

One of those Lian li's has an intake/exhaust on the top of the case. The P180 does too, and that's a drawback for quiet in my view -why have an outlet to let sound come directly up and out of the top? People on this site love the p180, but that top vent (and fan) and powersupply position can be problematic. I built a p180 system, and won't do another as I prefer the standard ATX configuration where the powersupply helps vent the case --Maximum PC built a quiet PC where the PSU was the only case fan! (Indeed, it was the only fan on the whole computer -an adjustable internal 120mm on the PSU). That was a standard ATX steel case.

Aluminum generally is worse than steel for quiet because the panels can resonate more easily. Although some Lian Li's can work; this site has detailed reviews on what might work okay. Check the panel thickness spec when you are comparing cases. 1mm steel is thick enough to avoid resonating.

quietpc.com (go to the uk site) has quiet cases. Acousticase has 2 new models which are steel and come with pre-fitted acousitpack noise insulation. Endpcnoise.com has cases too. As for Antec I prefer the P150/solo over the 180. There is also the Sonata III (I don't know if it's out yet).

I sympathize with wanting good looks versus what works better and is quieter. I go for quiet and performance because I look at my monitor and hear the computer a lot more than I look at the case. What is more important to you for all those hours you will be staring at your monitor?

Also, a case won't quiet your computer that much -instead it can provide good airflow (with quieter fan speeds), and prevent drive/PSU rattling and panel resonating. Generally go with a case that only has 120mm fans though.

I agree some Lian Li's are good looking -just pay attention to what the reviews on this site say. In my view though, I'll take 1mm steel over aluminum any day for a quiet computer. But I'm biased because I have a damaged ear and quiet is more important than looks to me -except with the girls of my life!

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:11 pm

U got a link for that "Maximum PC" article, sounds interesting, and flawed

Andy

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:53 pm

I recall it was a late 04 or early 05 Maximum PC issue; all I could find online was Maximum PC rerfering to their "really, really quiet PC."

In fairness they did use a Pentium M/ and board, and they had a few other tricks up their sleeves too! The PSU I recall was a manual 3 speed, so they could adjust it to react to the case temp as well as the PSU.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 am

What kind case you're exactly looking? Like size, expandability, customizability, max quietnes?
Those what you listed differ considerably from each others. At least all higher end DX10 graphic cards will be as long as motherboard's width meaning that should be one thing to consider. (depth/length of many cases would make fitting those cards harder)

That Lian Li A10 has one considerable problem, in surprisingly many motherboards CPU socket is quite near top edge so Lian Li's top fan propably hits to any bigger HSF.
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/ ... 0/1022.htm
Instead of it I would suggest checking Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 and RC-810 as big case option.

If you have problems in finding pics of certain case you'll find quite good pics from huge variety of cases from here:
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/def ... p?cPath=29

Vampirtc

Post by Vampirtc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Size doesn't really matter as the components and cooler fit. The first priority is the looks, 2nd quitnes (especially for HDDs).
I will upgrade to DX10 graphic card but probably after the power requirments are reduced (card is shrinked).

So atm my first choice remains Lian Li-B20A (need two cases actually).

nici

Post by nici » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:50 pm

The B20 only has one 80mm fan at the back, i would say that's a big no no. How about the Lian Li PC-S80?

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:30 pm

nici wrote:How about the Lian Li PC-S80?
Kinda short for DX10 cards.
While die shrink could lower heat output of GPU it doesn't make other components smaller, like PCB (whose size is defined by other things), so size of higher end cards quite surely stays at current level. (seen any smaller, just low high-end cards?)

Longer Lian Li cases seem to lack any kind soft HD mounting so those would require buying their HD module.

All Coolermaster's bigger tower cases are long enough to fit DX10 cards without worries and HD module is soft mounted to case so there shouldn't be any resonances from side panels.

Also Chieftec has some very affordably priced spacious and IMO quite stylish (I'm not friend of windows, color lights and bling like that) cases but there's few details/problems in those. (5.25" device attachment doesn't allow short devices, and HD mounting isn't very soft)

You haven't told us where you live, that might affect to availability of some cases. (Chieftecs seem to be available only in Europe)

ckamc

Post by ckamc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:15 pm

EsaT wrote:
nici wrote:How about the Lian Li PC-S80?
Kinda short for DX10 cards.
really? its deeper than my Solo but are the measurements including the rear cover? if so then I wonder how much space it has inside.

I myself am considering a S80 thus is why I am troubled by your response.

Calgarian

Post by Calgarian » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:34 pm

Depending on whether everything would fit, I would recommend the P150/Solo.

I got the P150 for the looks, love the quiet. :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 pm

If you want greater depth, you might consider waiting for the P190. It's a deeper version of the P180 -- also with more & bigger fans. Covered briefly in SPCR's CES2007 report.

ckamc

Post by ckamc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Just a bit too deep there....

I will stay with the smaller die gfx cards such as GTS and 8600's... couldnt find myself with a p180 or even a p190... dont need that much!

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 pm

about Lian Li PC-101... does anyone know how long the psu chamber is?

also, would the case take 8800gtx card?

CoolZone

Post by CoolZone » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

i am also looking for a quiet case that can fit a tuniq tower 120 (a must for Q6600) and a geforce 8800 gtx.any suggestions?[/quote]