My latest case design... any other input?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

regal196

My latest case design... any other input?

Post by regal196 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:51 pm

if there is any question, suggestion, criticizing, i would love to hear them. The case will be constructed out of ABS.

Some things than can not be seen, it is 19 inches deep, 8 inches wide, 16 inches tall. There will be a rack for a optical drive. there are one 120mm intake planned for the bottom. Also there is going to be vents in the top and under the HDs

To see a bigger size, click on the pic.

-Pennell
Last edited by regal196 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sareiodata

Re: My latest case design

Post by sareiodata » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:27 am

Interesting design! I was thinking about an vertical design case my self. You could position the CD-ROM vertically so it would not block any airflow.
What is ABS by the way?

blubberhoofd

Post by blubberhoofd » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 am

hi,

like it so far.

but I would really like to see some airlow indication for the PSU and HDD's as that is a bit of a mistery now ;)

btw: what application did you use for rendering?

jhhoffma

Re: My latest case design

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:31 am

sareiodata wrote:What is ABS by the way?
Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, it's basically one of the most durable and best-looking type of plastic used. It's used everywhere, but most commonly in automobiles. (Not to be confused with the other ABS in cars, antilock brake system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitr ... ne_styrene

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 am

but I would really like to see some airlow indication for the PSU and HDD's as that is a bit of a mistery now ;)
The air is taken from the floor of the HD bay, drawn up by the PSU.
btw: what application did you use for rendering?
MS Paint :wink:
Just kidding, i used Auto CADD to make a model, applied a material and then rendered it. It is a 3D drawing.

Monday night, there should be a more complete/detailed drawing/rendering.

-Pennell

btw, thank you jhhoffma for answering that question

blubberhoofd

Post by blubberhoofd » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:37 pm

hi,
The air is taken from the floor of the HD bay, drawn up by the PSU.
just as I thought just couldn't see it ;)

ah... ACAD that's what I'm using too.

Shame the default ACAD textures are crappy looking most of the time.
Attaching raster images to solids often looks far better, but I haven't figured out how to make those show up when rendering.

Will post my own new HTPC case design pretty soon

**edit**
figured it out!
btw: it's a publish_to_web_jpg not using rendering but shading!

preview:

Well your case is looking good, so good luck with the build ;)

regal196

Post by regal196 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Here are some update pics. The idea of this case is to create a case with at airflow as linear as possible, as well as taking advantage of convention. And lastly to create an eye pleasing case that can take some abuse.

Left

up from bottom

btw, this is rendering automatic to file, 1440x900, 8-bit.

Is that mobo in your drawing are 3d block or is it just a pic?

-Pennell

blubberhoofd

Post by blubberhoofd » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 pm

hi,

looking even better.

mobo is a solid wih a raster image ontop slightly offset off the surface.

new preview:

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:21 pm

VERY interesting. Clever take on the sideways mobo......for a case that lives on the floor,or in a cabimet-top access to cables is handy-especially if it's not gonna be a direct soundpath and the cables can be managed/organizes. A lot of my sketches use a floor fan and bottom "intake manifold" which is-in theory,the best way to stow fans,and also allows for a large filtered intake.

Were you thinking of a notebook type CD/DVD,slot loader?

regal196

Post by regal196 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:23 pm

I redid my measurements and found a standard sized Optical drive will not fit, but i am pretty sure that a laptop optical drive will work. I really don't need an optical drive in the case. i have an external one that works great and i can turn it off (no annoying cd spin up at boot).

If you look at the thread in my sig you can see what the flaws and what i intend to correct with this new design.

-Pennell

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:52 pm

If you make it a bit taller you have DVD/cd space below the mobo,or even in the bottom intake chamber. Plan B would be to encase the optical drive and have it all the way up top in the open chamber. Make a wood box ,or ABS + metal or?,sheath the cable-maybe use an SATA drive.

That upper section could also be semi-enclosed with perforated metal,Stainless steel or? Framed + hinged it can look good.

revloc8

Post by revloc8 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:07 pm

:!: Wow. Thats very similar to what Im working on! I currently work at a cabinet shop and we have lots of scraps sitting around. So I thought I should try to build some cases. I have some designs made up on Google SketchUp (which I HIGHLY recommend BTW), maybe I will post them if I can find somewhere to host my files...

regal196

Post by regal196 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 pm

ronrem wrote:If you make it a bit taller you have DVD/cd space below the mobo,or even in the bottom intake chamber. Plan B would be to encase the optical drive and have it all the way up top in the open chamber. Make a wood box ,or ABS + metal or?,sheath the cable-maybe use an SATA drive.

That upper section could also be semi-enclosed with perforated metal,Stainless steel or? Framed + hinged it can look good.
Yes I could do that, but i think i will mount it over the expansion card slots, i believe that there is enough clearance. But most likely i will for go the optical drive