p180 with LED fans in front

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

phattydeluxe

p180 with LED fans in front

Post by phattydeluxe » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:42 am

Hello,

I am interested in picking up an Antec p180 and putting 2 blue Antec TriCool LED 120 fans in the front 2 mounts.

My question is: Will the LED light be visible through the front grills? (Obviously with the door open)

I can't tell from the pics online how see-thru those grills are... if they are too obstructive and will not allow much of the LED fan to be visible it will be a waste of time. Just trying to get opinions of ppl who have this case.

I have always had cases with windows and lots of lights, but I am now interested in building a more quiet box. But I still would like it to have a little interest... a lil bling =)

Also... anyone used these Tricool LED fans? I read the SPCR review... seems as they aren't the absolute quietest fans, but on low setting they apparently are pretty close to the best. It is not a HTPC, so it it doesn't need to be completely inaudible.

Thanks for any replies!

jer888

Post by jer888 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:08 am

you cannot put a fan between the lower hard drive bay and the out side of the case. It LOOKS like you can but you really can't without some modding. I can't see much light getting through, even if you removed the filters.

phattydeluxe

Post by phattydeluxe » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:33 pm

bah... really? you can't fit another fan in the front? Antec says there is an optional front placement along with the standard front placement... this is from the specs on the antec www site:

Cooling System:
- 1 rear (standard) 120mm TriCool Fan with 3-speed switch control
- 1 top (standard) 120mm TriCool Fan
- 1 lower chamber (standard) 120mm TriCool Fan
- 1 front (optional) 120mm fan
- 1 middle (optional) 120mm

lame if it is too small to fit =(

Are those grills in the front removable?

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:41 pm

you can fit one but u cant mount one... the optional fan is in the top drive cage

as u can see there

but yes to being able to fit one... no to being able to mount one unless u use zip ties or do sum modding

P.S. thats my lovely rig :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:13 am

Welcome to SPCR!

(Belated but sincere)

phattydeluxe

Post by phattydeluxe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:29 am

ahhh... I see... thx PopCorn for the pic & infos! That is a snug little fit. Did you use any ties or anything to mount yours in that front spot? Or does it just stay there from the tight squeeze? Do u have that front fan as intake, and the fan at the back of that cage as exhaust blowing towards the gpu?

I am trying to decide which fan placements and how many I am going to use. Was thinking of doing what u did but adding a fourth on top or in the PSU area... dunno yet. Don't have the case yet to play with... so I spend my time dwelling on these details =P
Last edited by phattydeluxe on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

phattydeluxe

Post by phattydeluxe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Welcome to SPCR!

(Belated but sincere)

Thx mate! =)

I love this site! Its a one-stop-shop for all your pc acoustic knowledge needs.

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:57 pm

The stock grills on the P180 are made from big square holes, plenty of light will go through those. The filters, on the other hand, are a pretty tight mesh, and will probably cut down on the light some. They won't block it off, though.

As for which fans are "optional" and which come already installed, the top blowhole comes with a fan installed, the rear exhaust comes with one installed, and the lower chamber comes with one installed. The middle front intake is already set up for a fan, just screw one to the bracket that comes installed there, no modding necessary. That's the "front optional" fan. The one PopCorn has hanging off the back of the middle drive cage is the "middle optional" fan. He's removed the fan that comes installed in the lower chamber, but it would be installed on that metal upright that's right in the middle.

If you're interested in adding a fan in the front of the lower section, I modded my lower chamber to take a fan in the front. Pics are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kremmit/P18 ... hamberMods

My original plan was to mount three 120mm fans, one there, one at the front of the middle section as PopCorn has, and one in the top three optical bays. But then I got smart and scrapped that plan. That modding I did is going to waste, there's no fan there now, nor is there one in the middle chamber or at the top. All I'm running is the PSU fan and the rear exhaust has one 120mm, undervolted on a Zalman Fanmate turned all the way down. If I put a hot vid card in, I probably would have to add one more fan, but it's working fine the way it is for now. I'm glad I didn't keep going with the three fan plan, I'm sure it would have made a lot more noise. If you really want bling, you might consider installing some lights without fans, unless you think your system will need the extra airflow anyway.

phattydeluxe

Post by phattydeluxe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:31 pm

haha! Kremmit that is awezum! So if I really did want dual LED fans on the front of the case my tin snips can make it a reality... good to know. But your comments now are making me question that plan.

I need good cooling, because I intend on building a machine w/ an O/C'd Core2 6400 and an 8800 GTS 640. So it will be a lil inferno in there.

The other problem I have is my desk. My desk has an area on the bottom built for housing a PC which is about 25" tall by 14" wide, and 27" deep. Plenty big for housing a p180... but it also will hold in alot of heat. There is a door on the front which I will always keep open, and there is a 5"x8" vent towards the back on one side. So with that in mind I am trying to figure out the best fan placements and setup for this desk situation. There will be much more heat surrounding the PC than if it were just freestanding outside this enclosure. But there is really no other appropriate place for the PC... and the wife has already laid down the law that it must go in the desk... so I am stuck there...lol

I was thinking of maybe using the upper front port as an exhaust to push hot air out the front of the desk enclosure rather than thru the back so there would be less hot air stuck in the desk... but I know that won't work right. I might have to mount a fan outside the case on that 5x8 hole in the desk to push air out. Its basically like I have a case within a case. Bah...I dunno... I guess I'll just have to play with it when I get everything and see what the temps are, and what works best.

Any advice of optimal fan placement in my 180 in this situation would be appreciated. Also still trying to decide if I will use the TriCool fans on low, or go with some Nexus' & a Rheobus.