Which is quieter: Solo or P182?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

elmopuddy

Post by elmopuddy » Sat May 26, 2007 4:38 pm

MikeC wrote:elmopuddy --

I see you posted elsewhere about moving to a P182... but I don't really think any potential reduction in noise is worth the cost & effort. As you already know, the Raptors in your cases are probably the biggest noise sources, and even tho the P182 panels provide better damping, there's no eliminating that seek noise.

If I had your system and wanted to make it quieter, I'd....

1) consider getting rid of one of those Raptors -- why do you have 2?
2) presumably you like the Raptor for speed in boot / load times. If you want that and still reduce noise, you could try remote booting with eSATA. In other words, put the HDD in some acoustically insulated spot some distance away from the case with something like the Antec MX1 HDD enclosure (tho there are cheaper external eSATA options). I think you can get eSATA cables as long as 5~6'. Data integrity with eSATA is only assured for up to ~2m, and the connection between the back panel interface and the SATA header on the motherboard makes it longer than 2m... but it can't hurt to try. Besides -- maybe your board already is equipped with eSATA on the back panel?
3) The Antec TP-II isn't the best PSU out there; why not move up to a Seasonic or Corsair or.... Anything >400W will be more than enough. If you want to try PSU thermal isolation, then you'd need to go for a 80mm fan PSU (like the Antec NeoHE) and check out the Thailand PC or EPCN/SPCR system one.
I have the raptors in a raid 0 array right now, I was curious to see the performance (can't say its much faster than a single raptor).. you are right, they are the noisiest thing with my setup.

I have a S12-380 and a NeoHE 480 so I can try different setups..

Thanks for the advice.. you seem to know your stuff, you should have you own site or something :P

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sat May 26, 2007 8:10 pm

elmopuddy wrote:you seem to know your stuff, you should have you own site or something :P
:shock: do you know who ur talking to?

elmopuddy

Post by elmopuddy » Sun May 27, 2007 4:27 am

Konnetikut wrote:
elmopuddy wrote:you seem to know your stuff, you should have you own site or something :P
LOL. of course I do, I've been lurking at this site for years, this is one of two site I visit every day.

EP

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:51 am

Konnetikut wrote:
http://www.fridgemagnet.org.uk/irony/ :P ;)

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sun May 27, 2007 9:32 pm

sarcasm and irony don't carry over too well through the internet to me :?