build laptop adapter into case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Palindroman

build laptop adapter into case

Post by Palindroman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of swapping the PSU in a NSK3300 with a laptop adapter. My question is: Can I drive a small screw through the upper hole on the metal holder in the picture below to keep the adapter in place? I cannot open the adapter without breaking it. Would I damage something within the adapter? Somehow I figure that all the important stuff is on the bottom, but don't ask me why I think that. :wink:

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:04 am

Personally I'd try something with duct tape. But then, I'm known for my excessive use of duct tape :P

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:07 am

Instead of drilling the brick, why not use heavy duty double sided tape.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PM ... O=23590586

You could even use jb weld.

Personally I would not drill it as you can't open it to see if any of the electrics are high enough to come in contact with the screws.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:20 am

If I would build it for myself I'd probably go for something like duct tape, which is an even easier (and much safer) solution than the turn of the screw. However I'm building it for other people and they will have to plug in the cloverleaf power cord on the other side of the adapter. If they push too hard the duct tape might come loose.

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 am

Palindroman wrote:If I would build it for myself I'd probably go for something like duct tape, which is an even easier (and much safer) solution than the turn of the screw. However I'm building it for other people and they will have to plug in the cloverleaf power cord on the other side of the adapter. If they push too hard the duct tape might come loose.
Then use jb weld or any 5min epoxy.
http://jbweld.net/products/industro.php

With out cracking it open it would be unwise to screw into it, and risk damage or injury.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 am

SD-Plissken wrote: With out cracking it open it would be unwise to screw into it, and risk damage or injury.
Yeah, you're probably right about that.
Then use jb weld or any 5min epoxy.
I wonder if they sell that over here in Europe. I'll go look for something similar tomorrow.

Other ideas are still welcome of course...

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:27 am

One last question: Do you guys know of any way to open a laptop adapter without breaking it?

It would be ideal if I could open it, make two small holes in the front for two bolts and then use two nuts to attach it to the case.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:33 am

Don't even try to open one.....most are assembled in such a way that they cannot be opened. Probably for safety reasons..... You could epoxy brackets on to one if you need a solid mount. Velcro might even work. But whatever you do, don't drill into the things.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:33 am

Bluefront wrote:Don't even try to open one.....most are assembled in such a way that they cannot be opened. Probably for safety reasons..... You could epoxy brackets on to one if you need a solid mount. Velcro might even work. But whatever you do, don't drill into the things.
Okay, I won't. I promise. :lol:

I bought some glue and maybe I'll try and glue it to the inside of the case. However, the power brick gets hot, so I don't know if that will have an influence. I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens.

Thanks for the answers.