Lian Li PC-6070

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Dr.CrackEnHore

Lian Li PC-6070

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Has anyone tried this case. It doesn't seem to be the best set up for silence but it does seem to be a well built case with really good quality.

Thats just what I get from reviews I was wondering if anyone has spent any time with one of these cases.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:12 am

lian li's are just overpriced aluminum cases

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:59 am

I can't say anything about the PC 6070, but I've had a PC 68 for over a year and I've had no problems with the build quality. It's very well built, all of the edges are clean, motherboard tray etc... It's certainly the easiest case I've worked on and the nicest. However, all the fans included were ADDAs and quite loud and I'm still not satisfied with the airflow/noise. But that may be different with the 6070 since it is designed differently than the other 60 series.

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:32 am

Has anyone seen some good reviews of the ATC-710-SX1 by coolermaster. It looks like the same case that a lot of high end manufacturers are starting to use. Maybe thats a good sign.

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:34 pm

One last shot ATC-111C-SX1 by coolermaster. I know this one has a price tag but if the quality is up to snuff I may be will to part with a wad of cash.

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:43 pm

Sounds good you even answered another question I had. I wasn't sure the difference between the 110 and 111.

happykingcow

a

Post by happykingcow » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:50 pm

i am getting on thursday so i will let you guys know about it

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:20 am

Most of air cooling guys would be better off with cooler master. (more solid feel compared to lian-li). Now if they are doing water cooling, the small width of cooler master case might give you some problem. Not to mention Lian-Lis offering of full tower alu case.
Case is a case after all. (I have both side by side right now).

happykingcow

Post by happykingcow » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:21 pm

i just got the case, haven't have a chance to mess with it yet, but its lovely from what i can tell.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:19 am

The lian li 6070 looks nice but its just too expensive. I might get a cooler master 710. Could the people that have them chime in and tell me what they think of them? I want a good heavy duty case that I wont be able to easily break. I dont really care how much it weighs. I really like the 710 because its one of the few cases with a metal front bezel and door. Does alot of noise escape from the front mesh part? Ill probably be getting a maxtor dm9+ Sata and mount it with mastercart grommets. All fans will be undervolted panaflo L1as

MichaelS

Post by MichaelS » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:16 am

I have the LianLi PC-6070A and I really like it. The stock damping materials are flimsy though, so I am retrofitting it with a set of Acoustipack Deluxe damping materials. I wanted the looks of this case combined with the best looking door in the industry. I have no regrets about my purchase.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:16 pm

MichaelS wrote:I have the LianLi PC-6070A and I really like it. The stock damping materials are flimsy though, so I am retrofitting it with a set of Acoustipack Deluxe damping materials. I wanted the looks of this case combined with the best looking door in the industry. I have no regrets about my purchase.
Did you mount the Samsung HDD directly or use grommets?

Any issues with temps, fan noise, or vibrational noise?

How did your Acoustipack damping project work out?

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:00 pm

Yeah dont forget to keep us informed

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:02 pm

methodman wrote:my experience with lian li cases lately, the quality is poor... they make commodity aluminum cases in my opinion, if you want quality, go for coolermaster.
Huh? I've always heard that LL is a staple of excellent build quality in the industry.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:51 pm

bigred wrote:
methodman wrote:my experience with lian li cases lately, the quality is poor... they make commodity aluminum cases in my opinion, if you want quality, go for coolermaster.
Huh? I've always heard that LL is a staple of excellent build quality in the industry.
I've heard there is vibration noise from the very thin aluminum side panels. The front door may need a shimmy to close properly. The removable left side panel may need an "adjustment" to close properly. These are some things I've picked up from reading user comments and reviews.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:19 am

MichaelS wrote:I have the LianLi PC-6070A and I really like it. The stock damping materials are flimsy though, so I am retrofitting it with a set of Acoustipack Deluxe damping materials. I wanted the looks of this case combined with the best looking door in the industry. I have no regrets about my purchase.
any news on this mod yet?

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:37 am

I've heard there is vibration noise from the very thin aluminum side panels. The front door may need a shimmy to close properly. The removable left side panel may need an "adjustment" to close properly. These are some things I've picked up from reading user comments and reviews.
I use a Lian Li PC60 for my gaming setup, I had trouble with big vibration noise with the side pannels (especially when using an old creative dvd drive - this has been replaced). I've put in some powersnooze material and it sorted out the problem very well. I've also replaced and undervolted all the 80mm :roll: fans.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:47 am

Are the vibration problems that bad?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:17 am

Did the Power Snooze material installed get rid of the vibrational noise?

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:35 am

JVM wrote:Did the Power Snooze material installed get rid of the vibrational noise?
LOL

Does it notice that we want this case? :D

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:43 am

I think it's a damn shame that such a great looking case with plenty of external drive bays should be plagued by seemingly poor airflow and vibration noise, although at least one person has said airflow and temps are not a problem. The easiest solution, I think, is having the case made of steel and perhaps a larger bottom air intake. And, let's have some Acoustipack stuff inside there instead of that thin foam. And some grommets for mounting a hard drive. And a better designed rear exhaust grill.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:58 am

JVM wrote:I think it's a damn shame that such a great looking case with plenty of external drive bays should be plagued by seemingly poor airflow and vibration noise, although at least one person has said airflow and temps are not a problem. The easiest solution, I think, is having the case made of steel and perhaps a larger bottom air intake. And, let's have some Acoustipack stuff inside there instead of that thin foam. And some grommets for mounting a hard drive. And a better designed rear exhaust grill.
Yeah I know what you mean! You seem to have to do a lot of work to get these cooling okish..... :(
But hey that means more fun for us 8)

I think most of the problems can be sorted pretty easily. Cutting another fan in the rear and removing the grill from the other one, sorting out the hard drive vibration, installing the soundproofing and changing the fans

Hey it would be cheating if we never had to change anything on the nicest looking case money could buy 8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:59 am

JVM wrote:The easiest solution, I think, is having the case made of steel and perhaps a larger bottom air intake. And, let's have some Acoustipack stuff inside there instead of that thin foam. And some grommets for mounting a hard drive. And a better designed rear exhaust grill.
So let's see. Other than a few "small" issues:

1) Case needs to be made of steel rather than aluminum,

2) Needs AcoustiPack treatment,

3) Grommets for HDD mounting needed,

4) Redesigned rear fan grill.

it's a fine case. :)

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:24 pm

:P :P :P

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:32 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:The easiest solution, I think, is having the case made of steel and perhaps a larger bottom air intake. And, let's have some Acoustipack stuff inside there instead of that thin foam. And some grommets for mounting a hard drive. And a better designed rear exhaust grill.
So let's see. Other than a few "small" issues:

1) Case needs to be made of steel rather than aluminum,

2) Needs AcoustiPack treatment,

3) Grommets for HDD mounting needed,

4) Redesigned rear fan grill.

it's a fine case. :)
But, Ralf, it looks great! And what a nice solid door! Just think if Lian-Li could do those modifications and keep the price under $500 dollars, wouldn't that be the ultimate? Oh, and lets do away with those 2 80mm front fan intakes and make either 1 120mm or 2 80mm rear exhaust fans. Add some silver trim on the all black model. Taller legs to make room for air to circulate. A badge with Marilyn Monroe's picture on the front door that when sliding down reveals Marilyn in her "natural" state. :lol: