Solo or...?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pputer

Solo or...?

Post by pputer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:16 am

I am considering the Antec Solo for a new build but I went to Antec's site and they have some "B-Stock" cases for sale. I was wondering if it is a viable option.

Which Antec cases are most like the Solo (other than its P150 twin)?

Are any of these comparable?:
Sonata II
NSK 6500 (includes PSU which I don't need as I was planning on a Corsair PSU)

Antec charges a lot on shippping so if I could get the Solo with cheap shipping, I might only be saving a bit after taxes etc. so I am not sure if it's worth it. But, the Antec cases from the B-stock are around $30 cheaper than a new Solo.

Comments?

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Can't say much about the rest of the cases, haven't tried them. But the SOLO and P150 (basically black and white twins) are super little cases. I absolutely love my SOLO. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Clean looking, very quiet, plenty of room (for my needs - I have a Seagate 750, two Samsung 250s and a Samsung 120 plus two DVDs and still room for two more drives).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone unless they are wanting to use one of the nVidia 8000 class graphics cards. Might be able to shoe horn them in somehow but it would be a real trick.

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:19 pm

just to warn you, the finish on the solo is prone to severe finger prints. the finish on the p150 is prone to chipping. both are less than ideal in the paint job department IMO.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:28 pm

Don't know about the chipping on the P150, but as for the SOLO showing fingerprints, that's what high gloss finishes do. Its the mark of a high gloss finish. Its why you keep children with their greasy, sticky, grubby little fingers away from such surfaces. Its the same with mirrors, highly polished cars, stemware, jewelry, armor plate, finished wood, etc.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 am

I must agree about the finish, also, it somehow magically attracts scratches.

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 am

I have to agree with RAFH. High gloss has it's points. If you don't like high gloss, don't buy it. Anybody have a black piano? I do. Keeping my SOLO case clean compared to the piano is no comparison at all. Same applies for stainless steel kitchen appliances. Either you can live with an occasianal finger print and keeping it clean, or you can't. BTW, I love the high gloss finish on my SOLO, as a matter of fact, I love my SOLO as well. In the end, it really is a matter of taste (and habit). And thank goodness, tastes are different.

-sun.moon

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Its just a rule around the house, touching the SOLO is a NONO. Which isn't very hard to enforce, its just me and the better half and she has no interest in computers whatsoever and wouldn't touch one for any reason other than perhaps to push it off her if it fell on her. Then only with a stick while wearing gloves, just in case.

Besides. its hidden away in a cubby hole accessible only through a pass-through. Except of course, for major maintenance, in which case I access it from the other room its in. Doesn't even pick up much dust.

If I could, I'd have my computer downstairs in ghe equipment room with just the monitor, my Fingerworks board (sort of a keyboard/mouse) and set of switches, slots and ports upstairs.

pputer

Post by pputer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Hmmm... no big deal. But, that is interesting info, guys! Thanks! That suggests to me what the main issue with Antec's B-Stock they're selling. It should be safe to say that their discounted cases might be scratched up? If there are scratches on them, they can't sell them new, right?

They had a decent deal on a P180 case I was looking at. I wasn't sure whether any of their other cases were similar to the Solo or P180 so I asked.

I might eventually buy a Nvidia 8800 series card so I don't know yet whether the Solo would have enough space. I read here someplace that there is enough but I am still uncertain. The P180 case was discounted in the B-Stock section at a price less than a brand new Solo. Thus, I was not sure which to choose.

At least I know now, that the cases scratch easy and that might be a reason for the discounted cases. I was concerned about a case being broken because in that case (no pun intended), it is not worth the price discount.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:44 pm

My understanding is the 8800 graphics cards won't fit. Well, they can be shoe-horned in but you have to fiddle with the hard drives and cut up the drive case some to get them in. Even then its very tight.

Look for a thread titled Lengthen SOLO 5 CM. or something like that. It discusses the problem and references other threads that describe the situation in detail.

Personally, if you want to use the 8800 graphics cards, I wouldn't go with the SOLO / P150 case, its just too tight.

I do agree with your conclusion Antec's B-Goods would likely have some scratches or other cosmetic flaws. Functionally sound, mostly, but with blemishes.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 pm

RAFH wrote:My understanding is the 8800 graphics cards won't fit. Well, they can be shoe-horned in but you have to fiddle with the hard drives and cut up the drive case some to get them in. Even then its very tight.
8800GTS will fit fine into a P150/Solo, 8800GTX requires a Dremel.

If you have two hard drives, there's no problem, if you have three you cannot use the suspension system you'll have to use the drive trays, if you have four then you're going to have cabling issues. (That's wilfully ignoring the 5.25" bays of course as a place to put your too many hard-drives).

pputer

Post by pputer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:32 pm

So, the 8800GTS will fit and it's the 8800GTX that is too long? That is interesting. I would rather add the extra difference (Solo v.s. P182 in terms of $$) to the video card since both cases are among the most quiet.

But, which case is best for cooling? I want it quiet but not at the expense of cooling. How is the cabling system in the Solo? I know the P182 is the P180 revised for better cabling and fixing any flaws the P180 had. But, the Solo has no successor and I have yet to read anything about the cabling situation. I would only have two 500 (or 400) GB Hard Drives at most in this computer. I already have a 2nd computer so there is no need for multiple drives in the newer one. The Solo is cheaper and if I can still get decent cooling and silence with a 8800GTS card ('just want the option of this Nvidia card), I'd go with the Solo.

The only other option I thought of is to use the 8800GTS in my current computer (AMD Athlon socket 939/Asus A8N32-SLI) since it only has a X300SE ATI card. I was thinking the AMD system can be my HTPC and the Core2Duo computer can be the general purpose/video encoding system. I need to know which video card is needed for that. I know I read somewhere a comparison of video cards in video encoding tests.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am

I wasn't aware of the GTS/GTX difference, that's good to know.

As for cabling. the SOLO/150 is OK. Not great, but not bad. It does have some cable management on the right side. But it is a substantially smaller case (3' less height, 1.5" less depth), which makes for tighter cabling inside. In other words, you'll definitely have to work a bit harder.

There is also the difference in fans, the SOLO/150 is a 120 exhaust and 2 x 92 intake (though somebody shoehorned in a 120 in front) while the 182 has up to 4 x 120 fans.

Overall, the 182 is much better engineered for cooling and sound control. If those were my primary concerns, it would be the case I'd get. But it is a bigger and more costly case.

On the other hand, with a simple and minor modification of my SOLO, I got some of the advantages of the 180 line, namely to separate the upper drive bay and PSU from the main compartment. I just inserted a stiff cardboard baffle to divide the space up. This makes sure the PSU gets nice cool air and keeps the sound from the main compartment, primarily the CPU cooler, from coming out around the optical drives.

My two big beefs with the 182 and its predecessors have been and are 1) having to open the front door to turn the bugger on, and 2), the top vent in the rear spoils the lines. Not very big issues but their mine and I am sticking with them.

pputer

Post by pputer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 am

I'm leaning towards the P182. The only thing holding me back is that it's about 40 bucks more. I like the fact the cabling management makes it easy to arrange everything and this should make cooling easier. The fans can just do their thing and not be blocked.
Also, the fact that the P182 only has 120mm fan ports makes it easier to stock it up with the same size of fans. I ordered some 120mm Yate Loons since my other computer had one 120 mm fan die. It was a Thermaltake stock fan.

I know the Solo is a good case and I still might go with it. I can use the 40 bucks elsewhere but I don't like the idea of fiddling with cable management (I passed on a used P180 because of that - a B-Stock model).

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:28 pm

RAFH wrote:There is also the difference in fans, the SOLO/150 is a 120 exhaust and 2 x 92 intake (though somebody shoehorned in a 120 in front) while the 182 has up to 4 x 120 fans.

Overall, the 182 is much better engineered for cooling and sound control. If those were my primary concerns, it would be the case I'd get. But it is a bigger and more costly case.
I'm don't agree with that comment.

As far as noise, my experience is that SOLO configurations produce significantly less noise than P180 configurations with identical hardware. I attribute that to more resonance and more open vents in the P180. I have not tested a P182.

Airflow on the P180 is better, but not by that much. Why? Because there is far less air volume to move in and out of the SOLO. A single 120mm fan in the SOLO moves air far faster than it does in the P180.

darkwitch

Post by darkwitch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:59 pm

nutball wrote: 8800GTS will fit fine into a P150/Solo, 8800GTX requires a Dremel.

If you have two hard drives, there's no problem, if you have three you cannot use the suspension system you'll have to use the drive trays, if you have four then you're going to have cabling issues. (That's wilfully ignoring the 5.25" bays of course as a place to put your too many hard-drives).
Hi!

I'm planning a new rig, the trouble is I intended to cram a 8800GTS insinde along with 4 hard drives (3 on suspension, last on top hdd bay on a tray) - so no hdds in 5,25" bays! The above is bad news for me. Are you certain about this ?

I don't have the case yet, but from what i could deduce from pictures / read on forums/reviews, it is possible to change the orientation of clips holding suspension (turn upside down), so drive's vertical position can be adjusted by about 1cm. Maybe this will give enough clearance for power/data cables for both the drives and the gpu ?

Has anyone tried that ? I also need at least one 92mm fan on the front panel, preferably 2 of them, so moving drives toward the front in place of 92mm fan is not much of an option really.

Solo is a very nice case and I don't want to put any hdd's into 5,25" - bad cooling. Can this be done or should I look for another case?