Steel Cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LBadvance

Steel Cases

Post by LBadvance » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:28 am

How come I don't see a sticky of all the cases made of steel as opposed to the more comment Al?

Thanks

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:54 am

In the real World, where function favours form, I’d guess steel cases out-number alu versions by about 100-1. But spend time on OcUK case forum, and similar I-may-have-a-small-willy-but-I’ve-got-a-Lian-Li forums, and you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise. :roll:

Shadowknight

Re: Steel Cases

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 am

LBadvance wrote:How come I don't see a sticky of all the cases made of steel as opposed to the more comment Al?

Thanks
??? There's a list on the main site, you know... http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page3.html

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 am

You know on SPCR you will always hear that "aluminum cases are noisier". This is probably true if the case is made of thin aluminum panels....like a Lanboy. But if you build or buy an aluminum case with sturdy construction, using aluminum of 2mm or thicker.....you won't hear any difference. My current main rig is an AMS case made of thick aluminum. It's completely painted however.....so you would never know unless you tried to stick a magnet to it. :lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:48 am

I'd much rather have an aluminium case myself... but here's the back-breaker: how much did that case cost?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:01 am

IMHO....it comes down to a form/function thing. If I go looking for a new case, I look first to function......will the potential case perform or can it be modified to perform like I want? The type of metal comes last.

Of course there's the cost thing.....but if you don't care about the name-plate, you can find a cheap high-quality aluminum case, with difficulty however. My full-sized AMS case cost $100.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:11 am

I'd say that's quite a bargain if the case is proper out of the box.

I haven't looked into aluminium cases lately, but the last time I did the selection was very limited, and all but some Lian Lis were made of thin 1mm plate. Few if any had proper features too, most were just basic carbon copies of the most bare ATX layouts ever seen.