Allsop monitor stand/computer DIY.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Allsop monitor stand/computer DIY.

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:03 am

This potential computer is still in the design stage....but it looks like it will work fine. It's an Allsop steel stand, perforated on the top and very sturdy. It will hold an matx board as shown. If the board positions the cpu close to the edge, there is enough room to place an 80mm fan on edge, blowing across the heatsink. Allsop Link

This is slightly smaller than my Rubbermaid project....about the same height however. Nice project for someone.

Last edited by Bluefront on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:19 am

This would make a good Christmas present for people using cement blocks as monitor stands. :wink:

prodeous

Post by prodeous » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:43 am

Interesting concept.

now just PicoPSU mem and heatpipes tho cool the CPU and it will become nice silent invisible project.

Can't wait for more progress.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 am

Well I've got another PICO, and I think an Alpha 8942 on a low-power Celeron or P4 will be fine. That Alpha is short enough to use a fan right on it, blowing toward the board. I've got a slim 80mm San Ace that the Alpha used to come with. Alternately......there's enough room to construct a fairly large filter box, with the fan blowing at the side of the Alpha. That's a BioStar board that I don't much care for, but it will boot with a CeleronD, which I have. And it has SATA ports.....I have an unused SATA laptop drive. :D

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:54 am

BIONIC_EARS wrote:This would make a good Christmas present for people using cement blocks as monitor stands. :wink:
actually the cement stand is much more sturdy ;) I had one of these exact stands and I found it much too wobbly for my then elite 24" monitor. Of course now I sit around wishing I had a 30". Sigh.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm

I had a 23" LCD sitting on one of these for a while. FWIW....I've seen this same stand in a wider version. This little one is supposed to handle 40lbs. That's more than most LCD monitors.