Coolermaster Cosmos

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LuckyNV

Coolermaster Cosmos

Post by LuckyNV » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:48 am

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9249

Looks brilliant, I think the version with no side panel window is quietest since the non-window panels come with dampening material fitted.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:31 am

You beat me to it.

I was reading the article with little interest until I got to page 5 and saw the air intakes on the bottom, and the sound dampening material installed by the factory into the side panels.

Looks good, hopefully they'll send a sample to SPCR for evaluation.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:47 am

Hello,

The air flow through the HD area looks to be less than optimal... :?

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:47 am

cool but not so cool, at least for me. I refuse to have more than one harddrive at a time in my computer, so the idea of having like 5 empty bays, to me, is just.... disturbing =/

I like, how, in the article, they say the cable ties are freebies.... my way of thinking would deduce that one probably pays for those little "freebies"... heh heh.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:50 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

As a negative pressure design, and intake vents just below, I don't see this as a problem, unless you have six Raptors in there maybe. Personnally, I see HDD cooling as being a bit overated.
Carnegie Mellon University wrote:In fact, researchers indicated that drive operating temperatures had little to no effect on failure rates -- a cool hard drive survived no longer than one running hot............According to the study, the number one cause of drive failures was simply age.
Last edited by miahallen on Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:51 am

yea, but apparently all the exhausts (rear and top) are enough to draw in air from the bottom intake over the hard drives, I'm very excited about this case, if/when I get it, I'd definitely fit a fan over the drive cage to aid the intake.

Bare in mind that drives don't need a great deal of cooling, 40-45C load is perfectly fine, its far better to maintain a small range of operating temperature rather than low idle with big increase with load. Then again, all 6 bays will get toasty i'd imagine.

Its also a huuuuge case :shock:

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:01 am

Yes, I'd like to take a closer look at HDD airflow. It looks like the bottom fan might be pulling in air from the bottom vent indirectly, which could mean robbing the HDDs of what might circulate from the bottom vent. It looks like there is some space between the HDDs and the front of the case and the mesh in front should allow some air to circulate, at least when the outer door is removed. So the case seems to rely on a little venting and generalized negative pressure for HDD cooling. I suppose it would help to keep the bottom 5.25 bay empty as well.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:43 am

jaldridge6 wrote:cool but not so cool, at least for me. I refuse to have more than one harddrive at a time in my computer, so the idea of having like 5 empty bays, to me, is just.... disturbing =/
Of topic:

And why is 2 or more drives disturbing ?

albert

Post by albert » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:59 am

Having used a Sonata with rubber gromets to damp the HDDs, I've not got a lot of faith in this as a noise reduction scheme. I'd rather a few less bays myself and some way to suspend the things.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:08 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

People need to ask themselves if they really want hot air from their hard drives passing over other components, or if they want hot air from other components passing over hard drives. Or neither.

I think most people will find that modern front-intake cases do not achieve what they are looking for, because hard drives are last on the list of things that need to be cooled. Google's research showed that they only need to be kept below critical, which is at or even above 50 degrees celcius.

That happens to be the temperature of my hard drives that are cooled by positive case pressure + convection. Maybe Coolermaster noticed this too.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:28 pm

Having just seen this review http://www.dvhardware.net/review113_coo ... osmos.html I have to say other than how the hard drive slots break up the airflow from the front... nice. Very very nice. A case of taking the P180 style and improving it. They remembered to put filters on the bottom and you get direct cooling to the PSU... except when you DON'T have a bottom intake and have a PSU that does the front-to-back cooling style. So the PSU seperate chamber still has some purpose, methinks, vs. having ONLY a bottom intake to facilitate cooling. It also looks much easier to do hard drive cabling than the P180 series.

So the "improvements" I like a lot, but it still needs some work to be considered "perfect." Love having sound insulation included though.

sethk

Post by sethk » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 am

This looks like a very nice case if you don't need super air-flow, which wouldn't be very quiet anyways.

Soterius

Post by Soterius » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:20 am

How would you guys compare this case to the Antec P-182?

Soterius

Post by Soterius » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:05 am

Anyone???????

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:14 am

well depends, from all the reviews I've seen it is indeed a quiet beast despite having 4 case fans by default, plus whatever gfx and cpu fan you use, obviously quietness is still down to the components but apparently its not difficult to have a quiet system with this case.

Its much bigger than the P182 but also much more expensive, nearly twice from what I can see of the only pre-order available (yoyotech.co.uk) ~£155 inc del.

I was hoping for the rumoured £120, still Scan.co.uk are also official Cosmos partners I wonder what price they announce, if its much cheaper I'll snap it up. :D

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 am

It certainly looks flash, in a cool way. I'm not fully understanding the airflow in and around the HDD tower - maybe someone here can explain.

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:16 am

the air is supposed to be drawn in from the bottom by exhaust action from the top and rear fans.

but I'm a bit puzzled as its not exactly a sealed unit, I'm scared my drives will cook in there :!:

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 am

Looks truly hideous to me. Also seems to be another cheaply constructed case sold at a ridiculous premium.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:47 pm

I too am concerned about the hard drive cooling. HDs don't need all that much cooling, but a small breeze over them is definitely neccessary.

I also don't like how it's such a negative pressure case (3 exhasut, 1 intake), but still packs 4 fans. If I had one (unlikely due to the cost), I'd disable the stock bottom intake, mount one for the HDD cage, and use one or two of the three exhaust fans.

Personally, these days I'm more in favor of positive pressure cases or cases that I can easily make into a positive pressure case. And positive pressure cases don't always mean higher temperatures for HDDs or other components. My recent HTPC build is a positive pressure case and is the coolest running computer I have!

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Case launches in England Aug. 11, in U.S. Sept. 1.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:55 pm

First Impression: Too Loud (visually), and too excessive. Too big, too much plastic. Its like a P180 but more, and IMO a P180 is already too much of everything.

This is just my own personal preference, but i prefer a case to be sleek, conservative, functional, with a minimalist feel. Just the basics for it to do what i want it to do and nothing more.

As far as the much discussed HD cooling, id have to see the case reviewed SPCR to make a determination on if its suffecient or not. Just looking at the Antec Solo, i would have thought HD airflow would be horrible, but in fact its just the opposite. So i wont make a judgement in this area again until i see a good review that focus' on this.

Only things i saw that i liked was that if you use a PSU with a 120mm fan, then the heat to and from the PSU would be seperated from the rest of the case. Though i still dont know what i think about intake fans on the bottom of a case. I guess it would be alright if it was sitting on a hardwood floor.

ghettojiggalo

Post by ghettojiggalo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:41 pm

sorry gotta get in 1st post for url/links

plz see below
Last edited by ghettojiggalo on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettojiggalo

love the aluminum bars

Post by ghettojiggalo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I'll be building my new rig w/in the next 3-9 months and i've decided this will be THE case i'll be using but im waiting for the AL version arriving 3-4 months after the SECC version comes out...hopefully they'll fix a few flaws by then (cut-out on top of mobo for cabling is effectively non-functional).

as for concerns w/ the HDD cooling, check this out:

http://www.coolermaster.com/uploads/sup ... 283781.pdf

http://www.coolermaster.com/support/faq-2.php?fid=1468
Last edited by ghettojiggalo on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:46 pm

VERY interesting info from links, including the linked review comparing P180 to Cosmos.

Welcome aboard, gj.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:17 pm

I would have to wonder if the all aluminum version will be as quiet. Part of the reason this one does well is that it is extremely rigid which helps reduce vibrations, even though it does add to the weight.

butters

Post by butters » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm

I don't buy the cooling design. The 5.25" bay covers are vented while the lower part of the front panel is not (the mesh is aesthetic). So the main circuit has two intakes including the middle bottom vent. If you only use one optical drive, the intake area is roughly equal to the three 120mm exhausts. Not necessarily negative pressure, and the bottom intake fan makes matter worse.

Further, all of the fans move the air up and back. I question whether much air goes down into the upper row of HDDs from the front intake rather than getting caught up in the pull of the three exhaust fans at the top and rear. Only the top row of HDDs is vented into the main chamber, so any fresh air that does get to the HDDs will probably escape into the main chamber before getting to the bottom row of HDDs.

There are two redeemable aspects of this design. First, the bottom PSU intake is a good idea. It creates an independent airflow circuit for the PSU while trading the P182 chamber divider for ground clearance. Also, the three 120mm fan mounts at the top and rear provide flexibility and fan swapability.

Cooler Master could have designed an Antec Nine Hundred with an improved PSU intake and top fan arrangement. But then they went and made a complete mess of the airflow design with that silly HDD arrangement. I'm leaning toward modding the Nine Hundred to mimic the good aspects of this design. Especially since the drive rack and front venting is so suspension-friendly, it could be quieter and cooler than a P182 for a file server.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:55 pm

From a silencing perspecting, steel is prefered over aluminum.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 am

Some neat features and solutions on this one, but pricewise it’s to premium IMO.

kayrin

Post by kayrin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:40 pm

this case is available for pre-order for $99 USD at directron.com
http://www.directron.com/cosmos1000.html

ghettojiggalo

Post by ghettojiggalo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:44 pm

kayrin wrote:this case is available for pre-order for $99 USD at directron.com
http://www.directron.com/cosmos1000.html

wow is that correct? i thought msrp was $199usd

this is a nice price :D