My p180 is demoralizing :(

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

johnnq

My p180 is demoralizing :(

Post by johnnq » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:23 am

ever since i saw this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page4.html

i've been sad. EVERYTHING that's bad about the p180 (enough to force me to almost sell everything) has been fixed. GRRR!!!

has anybody has success cutting away at the p180 without spending more than 15 bucks on tools? the airflow is pretty bad right now, and i've done everything i can to fix the cables. somehow getting the cables through the back would make me SUCH a happy camper.

i've searched and found many threads with the exact same mods i want to do to my p180. basically, every large hole in the mobo tray done in the p182. at the very least, the 4 pin connector. can i just take a powerful drill and make lots of holes, then cut them with snippers? sharp edges would be bad for cables? those are the only tools i have that won't cost me anything :\

anybody want to trade your p182 for my p180+cash? :)

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:29 am

I modded my p180. It costed me 14.99eur for a dremel clone with lots of accessoirs and it was such a fun :D

johnnq

Post by johnnq » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 pm

fun...lol. my p180 has been nothing BUT disasters. not to mention the fan controller i just installed. BAD BAD idea...but it does give me complete control over every fan.

where did you get the dremel? any guides or protective precautions i should take before tearing apart my case? i've never used a dremel...i'm assuming i should do it in the driveway so my room doesn't go up in flames. any pics of your mods?

i'm still kinda in favor if using a drill bit that can go through metal. make a bunch of holes and snip the connecting metal...this wouldn't exactly help get the psu cables past the psu chamber on the other side panel. (you p180 owners know what i'm talking about).

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:28 pm

I got it from Tchibo. It's not actually an original Dremel, but a cheap copy of it. I did it in the kitchen, and it was pretty much straightforward. But do remember to take everything out before!

I used 5 or 6 cutting discs on the holes I cut (behind mobo tray routing, fan grilles etc), but as said before, they were all included.

Just look where to get a dremel copy. I don't think that you need the original for the occasional mod or two. You can make great straight cuts with it even being non-pro.

johnnq

Post by johnnq » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:31 pm

do you have to protect yourself from sparks? i guess that sounds dumb, but i've never cut metal before. is the thing difficult to hold while cutting? i'd be really frightened of cutting a finger off!

any pics of your success? i'd like to turn my p180 into a p182...if that makes sense. wires...must....go behind...motherboard tray...

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Ok, it's about cutting metal, and it makes sparks. But you are making tiny cuts with a tiny tool, and if you think first and cut after nothing will happen. I didn't wear any protectives nor am I especially gifted, so it can't be too dangerous, can it? :D

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:50 pm

A reminder: Do remember to clean everything thoroughly after your mods and tape any sharp cuts!

johnnq

Post by johnnq » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:23 pm

what did you clean it with? can any shrapnel or "dust" get into contact of the mobo and ruin the entire system? any pics of your setup?

where can i find these cheap dremels?

protellect

Post by protellect » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm not sure why you're having so many air-flow problems; I find my P180 very acceptable.

Are there particular hot spots? Whats your setup look like? I know I had some issues with a hot spot below the video card, but a properly placed fan fixed the issue.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I have a p180 and probably will get a p180b soon to start another build. While I think the p182 is really nice and the features they've improved upon are great. But from a modding point of view, the p182 takes all the fun out of it. :(

If there's anyway possible I would say spring for a dremel. You'll always be able to use it, whether it be for computers or other things. Look around online and hardware stores, I don't think you would have a problem getting a dremel tool and some cutting/grinding wheels for under $40.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Just a couple of words of advice for those modding cases via dremel, or similar tools.

1) wear some form of eye protection as those sparks can damage the cornea if they get in your eyes, to say nothing of small metal shards or a broken cutting wheel (which is a common occurance).

2) remove system components from the case before you start cutting and make sure you clean it out of all metallic debris before reassembling. it may add to the time involved but it's cheaper in the long run.

Better safe than sorry.

johnnq

Post by johnnq » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:19 pm

maybe i'll just go to a metal shop and pay 10 bucks to have it done. i don't plan on doing many mods in the future besides fixing these cables!

how should it be "cleaned"? is washing the case down a bad idea? (steel?)

i'm getting random shutdowns...after i replaced my 7700alcu with a ninja. cpu temps are way lower, but i'm getting shutdowns! i opened the case and it happened less frequently. i just put in 2 more fans (1 40mm on the northbridge at 7v-ish) and a 120 on the front of the top hdd cage.

i should've posted this earlier. i really have no idea what's overheating! after 1 hour of css it crashed (vs 5 minutes or so before all of these fans).

my first suspicion was one of those mofsets getting too warm(no fan blowing over them)...but they're all pretty cool to the touch under load. then i thought the northbridge was the culprit, but i've got a 40mm fan RIGHT on it.

regardless, i'd like to somehow make a few holes and reroute my cables for better airflow. then i can direct air over different parts of the mobo and try to diagnose my problem.

one more issue. i bought my ninja 1000 from a hardforum member for cheap. it included the backplate, bracket, and screws. he did NOT include the little wrench...so here's what i did. i stuck the backplate on. then i slightly screwed in the bracket, and put a scrunched up tisse on both sides. then i clipped on the ninja. the tissue secured the ninja before it reached the cpu. then i used PLIERS, that's right, PLIERS to screw down the heatsink. it was SO difficult. the heatpipes go right over the screws, so a screwdriver doesn't work. at first, i assumed i was doing something wrong, but then i saw that the little wrench came with the retail package....and it was a pain in the butt! i don't ever want to take it off again! (even though the surface was terrble...my idle with the case open goes down to 29/23, and 35/29 when closed. peaks at 50/47 when gaming)

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Buy a Dremel. About 361 days a year you might wonder why the hell you blew the money on it, but those four you actually use it make it worthwhile.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:29 pm

I use eye protection (lab glasses from school), form fitting gloves, and a 3m face mask. I don't want to be breathing in metal particles.

After that's all done, I'll deburr, smooth the edges with a file, and then blow the case out with an air compressor.

For the remaining fine stuff, take a slightly damp cloth and wipe the case down. Blow out the case to dry it.

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:23 pm

Anyway, it's great fun cutting around your case. I didn't wear any protection except lab glasses, and as mentioned before, I'm still alive. When you watch out for the spinning direction and don't have your eyes in the radial plane of the cutting disc (because of dismantling cutting discs flying in that area), I don't think that anything will happen. Lab glasses may be a good idea if you don't wear glasses at all or if they were expensive (like mine :D ).

Of course you can wear additional protectives, and if you feel you should, definitely do.

I just want to point out that it's no more dangerous or unhealthy than drilling holes in your wall.

To me, modding was (and is) great fun. I want to encourage everyone to do it as well. It's no magic :D , and not dangerous if thought about.

mexell

Post by mexell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:42 pm

Apropos the cleaning: First I thoroughly vacuumed the empty case after the mods, then I wiped it with a wet towel. Not dust and metal left so far, and my computer is still working :D

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:41 pm

As mentioned above, eye protection is the only thing needed when cutting metal with a Dremel (or any other brand). To clean, just vacuum then wipe. To deal with sharp edges, either file them if you're ambitious, or put some tape on them if you're lazy.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:03 am

johnnq wrote:do you have to protect yourself from sparks? i guess that sounds dumb, but i've never cut metal before. is the thing difficult to hold while cutting? i'd be really frightened of cutting a finger off!

any pics of your success? i'd like to turn my p180 into a p182...if that makes sense. wires...must....go behind...motherboard tray...
You should get basic goggles. I tend to use a sabre-saw,an elec drill and sometimes even a metal cutting blade on the circular saw. Most Dremel attachments work well on a regular drill if you have the space. However-Sabre Saw blades are a lot cheaper.

Drills and Sabre Saws can often be had cheap at a yard sale. Basic 3/8 variable speeds are $5-10 for drills. A sabre Saw is about that range. I spent $20 on a variable speed-reversing 1/2" Skill WITH about $30 worth of LARGE bits. A new 1/4 basic drill probably costs under $15

cundallini

Post by cundallini » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:22 pm

on a more serious note... :)

why oh why didn't they make the whole case black?
inside and outside? man, that would be something! :P

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:14 pm

johnnq wrote:do you have to protect yourself from sparks? i guess that sounds dumb, but i've never cut metal before. is the thing difficult to hold while cutting? i'd be really frightened of cutting a finger off!

Any metal cutting power tool will involve sparks + little bits of hot flyin' metal....GOGGLES.

I use a disc on a Skill Saw for big straight cuts....fast....mucho sparks.
I use a Sabre saw for more detailed stuff....have a few small Dremel type bits/cutters (yard sale) I can use in a regular drill.

On something like an Antec that's famed for too little inlet.....I'd cut a hole opening up a LOT of the floor, Glue or screw on feet so there's at least 1 1/2 " clearance on the bottom. ALL fans would exhaust

zorrt

Post by zorrt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:34 am

You can still run your cables through the back without having to actually cut up your case. I did. All except my motherboard power cable cuz the seasonic s12 I have the cable is way too short.