In Win BK623 - mATX Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Kreed

In Win BK623 - mATX Case

Post by Kreed » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:34 am

Does anybody have any experience with this case?

A review can be found here:

http://www.hi-techreviews.com/Joomla/co ... w/4006/27/

It looks like a nice little SFF like case. With a bit of modding, I wonder how quiet we can make this thing.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:41 am

It looks as if there was already a thread on this:

viewtopic.php?t=41690

Sorry.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:58 am

I'd ordered this case with Buy.com with free shipping in mid June. With free shipping, it was the best price. However, it has been backordered for a month. I don't want to pay the market rate of $70-80 ship for this case. So, I wait.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 pm

Cool. Keep us posted.

From what I've read, it looks as if you'll be limited to using the Stock Intel Cooler. The PSU looks like it can be replaced if the need arises.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:05 am

Yes, the partition plate only fits the Intel stock HS. I am planning to use an old Zalman 7000. Also the CPU location is different on my mobo too, so some modding such as a DIY partition plate is needed. But first thing first, I need to get my hand on this case first.

If I can't get this case, then my backup would be a X-gene mini HTPC case for about $80 with no PSU.

http://www.x-gene.biz/htpc_case.html

and under difference label

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811292003
Last edited by buzzlightyear on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:37 am

double posts

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 pm

Instead of using the Partition plate, which seems to be tailored for the Stock Intel Cooler, what if we just use an after market CPU cooler (one that pushes air to nearby components). Would it be just as effective?

Of all the micro-atx cases (suitable for building an HTPC) that I've looked at, this one seems to have the shortest depth, which is good. The Antec NSK2400, at 414 mm depth, is too long for a TV cabinet that I have in mind. I am really hoping this case can be made to be reasonably quiet

I wonder if the upcoming Antec NSK1400/Micro Fusion is any shorter.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:39 am

OK. buy.com backordered for over a month. So I re-ordered from another website for $3 more today. ($44+9.5 sh)

Will have it at my door in about 7 days.

I ordered one from here:

http://www.techonweb.com/products/produ ... 957&src=FG

Another review of this case

http://www.bigbruin.com/2007/inwinmtjade_1

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:52 am

buzzlightyear

My brief experience with this case

Post by buzzlightyear » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:57 am

I got the case a couple of days ago.

First impression: the case is tiny.

As expected, the CPU partition box does not fit neither my MSI 945GT nor my Aopen i945gtm-vhl. Both mobile mobo have the CPU located at the far front edge of the board. Moreover, the partition box is made for the Intel stock CPU cooler, I use a Zalman 7000.

I decided to put my MSI 945GT in (as my Aopen is sitting inside its original box for months) without using the CPU partitiion box. Another problem arose as the power connection is at the opposite end from the PSU. The power cord (24+4 wires) had to go across the mobo and around/underneath the Zalman HS. I put is T2250 (OC to 2.2ghz), 2 gb mem sticks, a 120 GB WD, a digital tuner, a analog tuner, and a 20-in-1 media reader. It is a tight fit but fit nonetheless.

Is is quiet? Yes! The PSU is surprisingly quiet and the Zalman is quiet too. In term of temp, it idles at 35-40c, 42-45c running MCE with tuners on, 55-58c under Prime95. The Prime95 is 5-8c higher than temp in my old ATX case. I belive the power cord (underneath the Zalman) is blocking some airflow.

My goal is to eventually replace the PSU with picoPSU and to custom build a CPU partition box out of paper or other materals. The trick is to determine the correct "depth" to partition the Zalman HS (i.e. which part of the Zalman HS should be IN the partition box?) I remember someone in this forum ( 2 years ago) posted a ducting mod for the Zalman 7000..... I should learn something reading that post.....

Overall, I am fairly happy with the case. It is sightly quiter than my old setup with the use of the CPU partition box. So happy that I may get another one (for $53 ship).

I may posted some pictures later.

Kreed

Re: My brief experience with this case

Post by Kreed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 am

Thanks for the review buzzlightyear. From one of the reviews, it looks as if In Win are planning on launching their our own 300W TFX PSU for the Mt Jade/BK623 later this year. Hopefully, it will be even quieter.

55-58c under Prime95 seems a bit high IMO. But, it may be within the allowable temperature range for mobile Intel CPUs. I wonder how cool (or hot) an AMD CPU would run in this case.

The Coolermaster X Dream 4 HSF looks like it might work well with this case. If you look in the gallery:

you will see that the direction of the airflow looks very much like the airflow for the stock Intel HSF with the partition plate:

which makes me wonder if the partition plate is needed at all if this HSF is used.
Last edited by Kreed on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 am

I have built a CPU partition box out of paper and scotch tapes. I used a 1" thick box about the same length and width as the DVD drive. I taped the box, after making the CPU HS opening, onto the metal optical drive frame from underneath.

It looks really ugly but is functional.

The idle temp went down to around 26-28c, 5c over room temp. The temp running Prime95 is still around 55c (vs 50c in old ATX case). I believe that have something to do with the thick power cord running around the base of the Zalman 7000, blocking some air flow. I need a power extension adapter to fix this problem.

The conclusion is that the CPU partition box works. Too bad that I have to build one myself. The case is quiet. The PSU is well-built and quiet.

Well, I think I am going to buy another case before In-Win starts using their own PSU.

Edit: Just ordered another one.

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:03 pm

My second In-Win BK623 (or In-win GLS300) case came. I replaced my Biostar 6100 (Opteron 144) mATX running in a large ATX case with this tiny case.

Again, I have to build a HS partition box with cardboard and tapes. I am using a stock AMD heatpipe HS running at stock 1.45v and OC'ed to 2.5mhz (actually could run @ 2.7ghz with the same voltage)

Anyway, the case with the partition box works. This is a very hot-running CPU. With the Smart Fan setting on, it idles at around 42c, same as before when it was inside a much larger case (plus a case fan too). It is not really quiet because the stock HS is not quiet to begin with. But at least, the tiny case matches the much larger case in temp control. I think I can quiet it down whn I replace the HS with another Zalman 7000/7700 HS.

I did not have time to do any stress/heat test. But it seems fine.

Overall, I am happy with it.

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:02 pm

After toying with the idea of using the Fusion for my next system, i am not sure i want such a big HTPC. I stumbled into this case and it seems like a pretty good option for less than 1/3 the price of fusion and at a fraction of the size, too.

What i'm wondering is which mobos DO work with it. All of the reviews i've read had no problem getting the vented portion to fit down on their CPU HSF, but the news here doesn't seem very encouraging.

Has anyone used this with a mobo that works as designed?

Finally, there were some comments made suggesting that the size and design of this case isn't particularly unique, yet i haven't seen anything else remotely similar. What are the competing designs? The NSK1300 isn't quite as small, but yes the 120mm fan is nice... i don't think i want a cube. What else?

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:47 am

I have two of this case (read my posts above). The first mobo, MSI 945-GT Speedster, is going to be my HTPC, has a completely incompatible layout. The CPU is located at the front-edge of the mobo. I have to build a CPU partition box using heavy cardboard. The CPU fan, Zalman 7000, is completely underneath the DVD drive with 3/4' gap. But the cooling still works fine.

My other mobo is a Biostar T-force 6100 (with 939 socket. The mobo has a typical mATX layout. However, the AMD heatpipe stock CPU HS I use would not in the stock partition box. I again build a box out of paper and the whole cooling thing works fine.

To answer your question, I belive any Intel-based mATX mobo with a typical layout (CPU located on the top (or right) edge of the mobo) and can use a Intel stock CPU HS (or similar OEM replacement) can use this case without any modification. So that should cover a lot of mobos.

BTW, for the price, I love this case. Also the power supply is 300w, quite, and made by a big name mfger (forget the name at this time). Also I am not aware of any small case that is shorter than this case.

And if you buy this case, buy it from the vendor I use for the lowest prices (link on my posts above).