What CPU HSF's fit well in a Fusion / NSK2400 case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gator

What CPU HSF's fit well in a Fusion / NSK2400 case?

Post by Gator » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Question for Antec Fusion / NSK2400 case owners:

What CPU HSF cooler's fit well into an Antec Fusion or Fusion V2 or NSK2400 case?

I am particularly concerned with the interior height, which from images showing the 120mm fans on the right side of these cases would appear to be only a little more than the 120mm fan size?

WITHOUT cutting any holes in the case cover, what CPU HSF's are known to fit in these cases?

I am researching a Q6600 based build in one of these cases and want to be certain to find the most effective HSF possible given the 105-watt TDP of the Q6600.

Thanks in advance for any firsthand knowlege. :D

Pierce

Post by Pierce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:25 pm

Scythe Mini Ninja
Thermalright SI-128 and Si-128se
Those three will fit without any problems.

There should be some Zalman coolers but I don't know how their names are.

kermuffle

Post by kermuffle » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm

i'm using a silverstone nitrogon nt01 v2.0 fanless HS with my q6600, together with arctic silver (not a HSF, just a HS) and a scythe 12cm s-flex fan. works pretty well, as the heat sink sits flush against one of the 12cm fans, giving it good cooling without the noise of an extra fan in the case. also, it only weighs 572g (quoted from packaging).

you'd of course need to use to the other 12cm fan to help general cooling. you may also want to change the stock antec tri-cool fans.

there are a few threads floating somewhere around this forum about using the nt01 with the nsk2400, with pics as well. just search for "nitrogon".

potsy

Post by potsy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 am

Hi there Gator,
I have a Thermalright XP120 in an Antec Fusion case (which is I think the same as the NSK2400 except with a volume knob and display). There's plenty of height for a fan (although I haven't needed one). In my case the CPU is near the edge of the mobo where the fans are and clearance there is less than half a millimetre.
Potsy

spaceman_spiff

Post by spaceman_spiff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:48 am

In my NSK2400, I have a Thermalright XP-90 with a Nexus fan.

Works great, fits easily.

DE

Steep

Do people bother using the forum search funtion?

Post by Steep » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 am

Gator

Thanks guys for the responses!

Post by Gator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks for the great responses guys!

Some further questions for this discussion:

Pierce: The "Mini-Ninja" looks like a winner! Saw your posts about the Mini-Ninja here and here - since the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard is the same motherboard I was considering, I thought I'd ask you if there is enough room above the northbridge heatsink to fit the 80mm cooling fan blowing through the Mini-Ninja towards the NSK2400's exhausts? Understand you don't need it with the E4400, but I'm afraid I might with a Q6600 quad-core. :shock:

kermuffle: What model motherboard are you using the Nitrogon NT01 on? Seems like the NT01 would be very sensitive to the exact CPU socket position relative to the exhaust fans? Is it tricky to get it mounted? What sort of CPU temperatures are you seeing with your Q6600, especially under load?

potsy: I had considered using a Thermalright XP120, but worry about conflicts with the motherboard components - what model motherboard and CPU are you using? Does the XP120 interfere with your RAM slots or Northbridge heatsink any?

spaceman_spiff: I am sure the Thermalright XP90 would fit in the NSK2400 or Fusion cases, but would it be sufficient for the Q6600 quad core though? (Remember that chip is a furnace with a TDP of 105-watts!) :roll:

Steep: Thanks for the pointer! Lot of good info in there!

Question for any of you with either the NSK2400 or Fusion cases what have a tape-measure handy: What is the maximum length of video-card that will fit in the NSK2400 / Fusion cases? I.e. the distance from the slot cover to the divider wall between the motherboard chamber and the HDD compartment?

Thanks again for all the advice guys! You are a great help! :D

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:57 pm

dont really need a tape measure. heres the review SPCR did of the case, with a picture of a motherboard inside it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page6.html

A motherboard is 9.6" wide, and their isnt much space left between the edge of it and where the HD divider starts. You also have to add in about an inch for room to connect power connectors to the end of the video card which is where they usually put them. So i'd say if you factor in the PCI-E power connectors on the end of the board, around 9.5" would be the longest card you could put in it without modding the case.

Pierce

Post by Pierce » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:46 am

The fan might fit but it's very close with it.
I just tried with one installation bracket and held the fan next to the Minja.
-> no guarantee :wink: