Cosmos or P182?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CountChoculaBot

Cosmos or P182?

Post by CountChoculaBot » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Disregarding the price, would yall rather have a Cosmos or P182 (and not considering the moddability, like cutting off the fan grilles)?

For my new build, I was going with the P182. However, then I saw the Cosmos. The Cosmos seems to be really nice in looks and function, and also seems to be really quiet. How quiet is the Cosmos compared to the P182? If I stuck 4 120mm Minebea 1100RPM fans in both (In the P182, 3 in the top chamber and one in the bottom; In the Cosmos, 4 in the default locations), which would be quieter? Also, which would have cooler temps for VGA and CPU?

Oh yeah, I've heard issues about HDD cooling in the Cosmos, but I really don't care so disregard that too :P

Felger Carbon

Re: Cosmos or P182?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:22 pm

CountChoculaBot wrote:...then I saw the Cosmos.
Did you see it up close and in person? That case is larger than the average middle school gymnasium! Have you looked at the smaller and far cheaper CoolerMaster "690" case, which has been widely (and favorably) reviewed? You can mount 7ea 120mm fans on it without modding anything, and that doesn't count the PSU fan. Up to four of the "120mm" fans can instead be 140mm fans, if you wish.

Is is possible to die from an overdose of 120mm fans, I wonder? :(

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:38 pm

7 x 120mm fans would certainly defeat the purpose of a "SPCR" silent computer. More fans = more noise, even if each of them are 20 db.

But feature wise (CM 690), it is very nice. The esata port would come in very handy as I use that very often and hate reaching around the case to get to it. And considering the price, it is certainly a very very nice package.

ghettojiggalo

Post by ghettojiggalo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 pm

i'll take the cosmos based on looks alone

the current cosmos 1000 has its quirks so i'm sure there will be better revisions coming down the line ala the stacker 830s

my next rig will be a cosmos, 520hx/seasonic m12, q6600 passive w/ ninja, with a 4coredual board for now till '08 when the newer video cards come out and ddr3/2 gets cheaper (still stuck on agp)

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:23 pm

The Cosmos looks like a nice case. Seems bigger which could help airflow. A few tweaks might make it even better.

Since it comes with decent 1200 RPM fans-I probably would not bother to buy a set of 1100 rpm fans but if your rig is fairly cool might look at fans at 800 rpm or less---and try to get by with fewer fans too.

Coolermaster made a nice effort to put in overall quality and detail plus noise reduction. It ain't cheap but has to be a contender.

I think there's stuff that COULD be done-outside of the usual ATX layout to make a really quiet case,but for a premium case-ready as-is...the Cosmos looks real nice.

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Actually, even after a recent purchase of the p182 (which is anyway a really good case and proudly replaced a no name vibrator), i know my next build will not include another and i am really willing to get a Stacker 832 (Old option) or Cosmos (New one). Or the next big thing that might appear and appeal to me in the meantime.

The p182 already has airflow trouble with my current rig which is anything but a hardcore-heat-producer so i would not feel comfortable enough with it to house the components i am planning without considerable modding, which i am unwilling to do. I simply refuse to hack a perfectly good case without professional tools, which i do not have access to. And even without it and considering cable management (which really helps in the p182), there simply is not enough space for my lumberjack hands to fit and play into without dismantling the whole thing everytime i want to change a fan.

The Cosmos is big (a bit less than a gymnasium but that would not fir my appartment anyway), seems well built, has built-in dampening, weighs a ton (which i like) and is stylish without being too expensive. I still have a few quirks with the Cosmos (Cooling : general and HDDs, cable management and handles solidity) and am waiting for real world reviews and experiences though. So i am really considering it. Heck i have to forbid myself buying it everytime i see one on the shelves :-) .

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this cosmos thing is repulsive ? ^^

I mean, only the silver "coSmos" letters on the front would make me flee ^^

I couldn't say anything about its silencing/cooling abilities, since I've never tested it, and I even haven't read any review, but "7 12mm-fan mountings" already sounds like a strange idea for noise-conscious people, IMHO.

The built-in damping material looks nicer than the ones from Antec, though, but I suppose it needs reviewing to be sure about its real effect.

If I had to choose, I'd say P182, but then again, it's based on looks only, and reputation :)

EDIT : now I HAVE read a review, and it sure looks promising, and full of possibilities. But I stumbled on this exerpt, which frightened me :
Noise: Cooler Master really thought of lots of ways to reduce your system's noise. There are vibration dampeners, silent fans and side panels with noise dampening material. Overall the Cosmos is relatively silent but my sample had one problem: vibrational noise. It's not a lot but there's an audible increase in noise when I close the left side panel when all four fans are running. I checked out a couple of reviews from other hardware reviewers and it looks like none of them noticed this problem. Maybe not all cases have this problem or perhaps my case was dropped a bit too hard during shipping.
This comes from a rather amateur review. I suppose I should be looking for a more professional one...

tonschk

Post by tonschk » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 pm

quote from Jimmyzaas "(7 x 120mm fans would certainly defeat the purpose of a "SPCR" silent computer. More fans = more noise, )"

This is not true , even if you have one million 120mm fans inside your computer running at low speed 700 RPM you can`t hear any sound ,because the fans start to produce noise when are running at high speed

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:26 am

tonschk wrote:quote from Jimmyzaas "(7 x 120mm fans would certainly defeat the purpose of a "SPCR" silent computer. More fans = more noise, )"

This is not true , even if you have one million 120mm fans inside your computer running at low speed 700 RPM you can`t hear any sound ,because the fans start to produce noise when are running at high speed
Are you actually claiming that a 120mm fan @700 RPM produces 0 dBA ? If not, are you claiming that the noise from 7 120mm fans @700 RPM don't add up logarithmically as physics tell us it does ?

You're plain wrong here.

EDIT : I think that listening to 1 million of the quietest 120mm fans @700RPM at a distance of 1 meter might instantly make you deaf, actually.

shadestalker

Post by shadestalker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:04 am

The Cosmos 1000 lost me when I saw the non-recessed reset button nestled in the cluster of USB / firewire / audio ports on top of the case. This bespeaks glaring inattention to the kind of details that matter in daily use.

tonschk

Post by tonschk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Torajirou wrote:
tonschk wrote:quote from Jimmyzaas "(7 x 120mm fans would certainly defeat the purpose of a "SPCR" silent computer. More fans = more noise, )"

Are you actually claiming that a 120mm fan @700 RPM produces 0 dBA ? If not, are you claiming that the noise from 7 120mm fans @700 RPM don't add up logarithmically as physics tell us it does ?

You're plain wrong here.

EDIT : I think that listening to 1 million of the quietest 120mm fans @700RPM at a distance of 1 meter might instantly make you deaf, actually.

I use the 120mm Enermax UC-12AEBS Enlobal Magnetic Bearing ,at very low speed (1/4)I can`t hear this fan , at 2/4 speed is still silent ,at 3/4 speed start to produce a little noise and at (4/4) full speed I can hear the flow of the air wind, I like this fan because dont have ball or sleeve metallic bearings and therefore never need oils (because is frictionless ) , if your fans have ball or sleeve metallic bearing check if you want this website to learn how to add oils to your fans http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

tonschk

Post by tonschk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Quote from Torajirou "( Am I the only one who thinks this cosmos thing is repulsive ?

I mean, only the silver "coSmos" letters on the front would make me flee )"

I agree with you the Cosmos is repulsive ,I preffer much much more the Coolermaster CM690 , at the moment the CM690 is at the top or the ranking of my list ,this case can accomodate up to SEVEN 120mm fans ( can be also four 140mm plus three 120mm ) plus the 120mm fan of the PowerSupply plus a 120mm fan of the CPU cooler ,a total of Nine 120/140mm fans can be installed inside this case,but have also a "small" 80mm fan to cool the back side of the CPU , without a doubt this will be my next case
I forget to tell , one of the details I like very much about the Coolermaster CM690 is that the fan of the powersupply can take fresh air direct from the outside of the case ,this is an excellent idea because in many many other cases the powersupply must take the already warm air inside of the case to cool himself (sorry about my english grammatic)

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm

tonschk wrote:
Torajirou wrote:

You're plain wrong here.

I use the 120mm Enermax UC-12AEBS Enlobal Magnetic Bearing ,at very low speed (1/4)I can`t hear this fan , at 2/4 speed is still silent ,at 3/4 speed start to produce a little noise and at (4/4) full speed I can hear the flow of the air wind, I like this fan because dont have ball or sleeve metallic bearings and therefore never need oils (because is frictionless ) , if your fans have ball or sleeve metallic bearing check if you want this website to learn how to add oils to your fans http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
It's not because you can't hear it that it doesn't make any sound ! It just means that the ambient level of noise covers it. Add some more fans, and you'll see...

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:03 am

The Stacker 810 might be worth considering, or perhaps the Antec Nine Hundred.

Both have excellent airflow, and particularly the 810 has loads of room. If you are worried about noise, many low speed fans will be quieter than a few high speed fans.

The P182 is a very nice case, will good dampening. The HDD mounting system is useless though, you will need to suspend for silent operation so consider how many drive bays you need. Also, it is not suited to high end systems because airflow is very restricted. Opening the door and adding a Kama Bay helps but if you are going to do that, why not just buy a Nine Hundred in the first place?

tonschk

Post by tonschk » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:52 pm

MoJo wrote:The Stacker 810 might be worth considering, or perhaps the Antec Nine Hundred.

Both have excellent airflow, and particularly the 810 has loads of room. If you are worried about noise, many low speed fans will be quieter than a few high speed fans.

The P182 is a very nice case, will good dampening. The HDD mounting system is useless though, you will need to suspend for silent operation so consider how many drive bays you need. Also, it is not suited to high end systems because airflow is very restricted. Opening the door and adding a Kama Bay helps but if you are going to do that, why not just buy a Nine Hundred in the first place?

I agree with mojo , try to check also the ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED ,this case really is a HIT