Bought a AC Freezer pro, will it fit in my Fusion?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Satummoo

Bought a AC Freezer pro, will it fit in my Fusion?

Post by Satummoo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 pm

I know I should have figured this out BEFORE I bought it but on newegg, but I miss read the dimensions and thought they were the same as my other AC cooler heatsink that's in my case now. I'm asking this question because I'm trying to figure out what to do. When I searched, people said they could fit a Zalman 9500 (that's 125mm, the Freezer is 126.5) but had to slightly bend the fins. Another post said that they had modified a similar heatsink where they bended/cut the heat pipes. Is that OK to do? I thought heat pipes had liquid so cutting them would expose liquid? Returning it seems bad because with shipping and recharge fee's it will come out to about the same price.

Anyone have any idea about the tallest heatsink they have been able to fit in a Fusion?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 pm

not sure about the fusion, but heatpipes have either a vapor or a liquid in them under pressure so yes, cutting them would make it useless. however, in regards to height, the studs on top of heatpipes have no function whatsoever other than for looks, and they are only glued into place. they can be carefully removed, which will give you more room inside the case.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the heatsink won't fit. :(

For a quiet/silent heatsink in the Fusion, your best bet would probably be Scythe's new mini Ninja. Performance is supposed to be quite good considering its size.

thegoldenstrand

Nope

Post by thegoldenstrand » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 pm

If you can't shorten it about 6-7 mm it won't fit. From top of Motherboard to tip top of case is about 120 mm and it is best to leave a little space to spare imo.

The Scythe Ninja Mini fits ok. Just limit height to under 120 mm and you should be ok.

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:27 am

I have a freezer pro and it it not able to be shortened at all. The heatpipes have no caps on them.