Silverstone CW03

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Telstar

Silverstone CW03

Post by Telstar » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:42 am

http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_co ... 3&area=usa

What do you think of this case?

I hate that they use 80mm fans, though, I'll need to replace em all. More advice on silencing it would be helpful.

I abandoned my project of using a zalman hd135 because I decided that I need a touchscreen for music playback (with tv off) and IMO the CW03 looks better than Zalman and OrigenAE with 7" touchscreen.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:16 pm

It would be very helpful if you could mount a 120mm fan on the side vent like the NSK2400. I don't think quiet 80mm fans will move much air.

Otherwise, it depends on what you're going to put in it. How many drives? What video card? What gpu and cpu coolers?

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:22 pm

ultrachrome wrote:It would be very helpful if you could mount a 120mm fan on the side vent like the NSK2400. I don't think quiet 80mm fans will move much air.

Otherwise, it depends on what you're going to put in it. How many drives? What video card? What gpu and cpu coolers?
My configuration didn't change much respect what i was going to put into the slimmer zalman.

gf8600 passive (zotac, which seems to be one that gets less hot)
2x WD GP with NoVibes (i will remove the 3,5" hd cage)
Q9450 cooled by thermaltake Ultima*90 with 120mm Nexus fan (in place of the ninja mini originally planned)
One tv card. And that's it.

I may go with a mini-ATX mainboard, because I decided to go external for sound (DAC) and the integrated video card of a G33 chipset could be used only for the LCD panel.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Annoying that there seem to be no pics of the case interior available.

If you can find a way to suspend the drives and augment case cooling with a 120mm fan, you should be in pretty good shape.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:05 pm

ultrachrome wrote:Annoying that there seem to be no pics of the case interior available.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 3&area=usa
Exactly! Hopefully some review will come (hint, hint!) that'll show the interior well.
If you can find a way to suspend the drives and augment case cooling with a 120mm fan, you should be in pretty good shape.
I had a perfect plan on how to mod the hd135, and with this I'm back again to the start. For the drives I think to put the novibes on a layer of foam and that's it. The HTPC won't be moved around.

For fans, I hope to put the 2 nexus that i have already bought for the zalman.
The rear 80mm i think i will just replace with noctuas.