Quieting lian-li

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Dephcon

Quieting lian-li

Post by Dephcon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 am

Hey guys,

The honeymoon is over with my Lian-Li A05 now that its 15ft away from my bed.

Even when I'm at my desk (it on the desk now) I can hear all sorts of weird high feq noise that I'm pretty sure are HDD related. The HDD noise was fine in my SLK3700 case so its gotta be the aluminum. Plus they're WD-AAKS series so getting new drives wont help much.

Here's the situation:
Rear intake: Kaze Ultra 1000rpm @ 6v-10V depending on systemp
CPU: noctua NF-S12 on TRUE
Front exhause: NF-S12
VID: yateloon @ 6v

First I'm going to replace my noctua fans since they don't volt down at all using my ip35pro fan control. I'm thinking slipsteams.

I'm also considering just scrapping the cpu fan all together and connecting the rear intake to the cpu header.

I definitely want to throw down some dynamat or whatever on the panels but its expensive and other damping material is really hard to get in canada. However, how much of this shit do i need? will 1 layer do it or am i going to have to double or triple up?

Thanks

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:41 am

2 words: elastic suspension. Find a way to try it on the HDD before you do anything else. If there's no vibration going into the case, it won't make any noise. The HDD is your #1 source of vibration.... followed by fans.

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:44 am

Hmm. I initially thought about it but the case is REALLY tight. I'll have grab some of the magic stretch or something and see if i can get it to fit

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 am

Try unplugging the power cable to the HDD, then turn the system on and listen while you're in the BIOS. That will tell you just how much noise the HDD contributes. Elastic suspension properly executed will get rid of all the vibrational noise of the HDD.

Alternatively, open up the case and unmount the HDD from the bay, then just place it on something very soft and cushy at the bottom of the case.

btw, it looks to me like you could use Aphonos' 2-Drive Bungee-cord Suspension or similar to suspend your HDD at the front bottom of your case.

halfmanhalfamazing

Post by halfmanhalfamazing » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:59 am

I too was going to mention bungee cords for your drives, they also make rubberized noise dampening spacers, and complete internal enclosures like this one:

http://www.cooltechpc.com/c/ctpc/std/sk ... pener.html

Have you considered solid state medium? I posted pics of mine here:

viewtopic.php?t=45780&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

I too have a lian li case.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:43 am

Check out Ryan Norton's post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=45600

He has a finished Lian Li A05b, silent running.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 am

I would get some AcusticFan anti-vibration gaskets for the fans, they tend to shine when used in an aluminium chassis by eliminating any vibrations from the fans, apart from that suspending the hard drives as suggested by Mike C would be a nice first step. Regarding unplugging the hard drive you could also putt them in “sleep modeâ€

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Actually the case already has rubber grommets for the fan screws. So the fan frame doesn't make contact with the case....i think.

I like that Ryan Norton guys idea but i really don't want to have to drill out the 3.5 drive rails. The case was expensive. But i dont think theres going to be many ways to fit 2 drives in there.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I don’t blame you, its an expensive piece of art, still; drilling out 12 rivets wouldn’t really damage your chassis and the procedure is reversible which would bring it back to stock, and no one would be the wiser. It could have been worse; you could have been faced with decisions involving the Dremel, and cutting in a premium chassis is a painful affair. Anyway; I’ll better shut up now, or else fellow members might view this as me trying to talk you into something that you don’t want to do, I’m trying to give you a positive view on this ordeal, not putting stoopid ideas in your head even though it might appear as such. :D