Antec NSK3480: A Closer Look [17 pics, 56K thumbnails]

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

C. Zoui

Antec NSK3480: A Closer Look [17 pics, 56K thumbnails]

Post by C. Zoui » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:53 pm

I present to you a collection of views meant to complement the official SPCR review of the NSK3480.

First, here is a closer look at the length of the female front-panel header cables. Not good, considering that many mobos have their male header connectors nearer to the front bezel than they are further away. The Abit AN-M2 that I'm using for this build does, at least.

Second, here is a closer look at the front bezel's intake vents.
As you've been told, most of the fresh, cool air comes from the sides of the front bezel.

But as can be seen when the case stands on its head, the vent directly under the bottom of front bezel is no slouch either.
It is very open and will provide additional air intake for the lower-front fan:

Facing the front of the computer, here is the left side.
Inside you can see the grill for the bottom-front 92mm fan, part of the chassis itself:

The side vent remains largely unrestricted from top to bottom on the right side:

On the right side, however, it is mostly blocked.
The plastic that houses the power button completely fills in three rectangular vents:

The usb/firewire/sound jack headers mostly block seven of the side vents below on the left side:

Third, here is a closer look at the HDD bay that sits on the bottom of the case.
It can also be seen that this case passed QA on Nov. 8, 2007:

The soft white grommets extend through the bottom of the case entirely:

The case feet are still much taller than the grommets, so the grommets will never touch the surface the case is resting on:

Fourth, here is a closer look at the underside of the upper HDD bay.
With the case standing on its head, the bottom of the upper-bay grommets can be seen:

In the upper-right corner of this pic is one of the few holes between the upper and lower compartments of the case. It's small enough so as to be easily patched. Overall, Antec did a good job creating distinctly separate chambers.

Fifth, here is a closer look at the PSU.
The rear fan-guard can be easily unscrewed for smoother airflow:

Screwing the fan back in, however, required me to open up the PSU so I could hold the backside of the fan in place.
This brings me to another observation.
For those worried about flipping this PSU upside down to get the power connectors closer to the upper-bay opening, the actual components of the PSU won't be fighting gravity when you do so:

The PSU is "ATX400w rev. ?? 2006.09.25". The Revision number is obscured by the capacitor in this pic, but it is obscured by some gooey glump to me as well:

PSU fan is an ADDA model AD012HS-A70GL:

I haven't heard anything about this fan.

Sixth, here is a closer look behind the non-removable motherboard tray.
There is plenty of space behind there to stash unused power cables, if only you could.
A hole could be cut directly across from the adjustable exit hole for the cables on the other side:

Finally, here is a closer look at the front chassis intakes. As you are aware, they fit two 92mm fans.
Placing a 120mm Scythe Slipstream over one of them reveals that a 120mm fan hole could be cut to fit.
Two 120 fans, however, will not fit:

Image.

Placing a 120mm fan on the bottom (or top) intake will also take away the mounting holes for the remaining 92mm intake:

In my humble estimation, however, three case fans should not be needed for most setups. I'm only considering adding a second one to be run during games or HD playback when it is less likely to be heard.

So far I am very pleased with this case. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I haven't installed any parts yet.
Last edited by C. Zoui on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 pm

To present my observations in a slightly different way, here are some mods that may be worth performing:

1) Cutting a hole through which the unused power cables can be feed to the other (empty) side of the mobo tray to be stored without impeding airflow. See below:

Right now I have room to push these cables either under my DVD recorder drive in the upper chamber or into the 3.5" bay in the lower chamber, so this isn't really necessary.

2) Cutting an intake hole and drilling mounting holes for one 120mm fan in the front bottom (to replace the existing, lower 92mm intake).

Really, though, is a 92mm fan really going to be that much louder and that much weaker to warrant doing this?

3) Constructing some sort of short suspension bracket or foam bracket to house my 3.5" HDD and rest on the bottom of the case (about where the current HDD bracket is).

4) Shortening the wires for the front bezel headers. I don't know if this is possible, I haven't researched it yet.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:14 pm

have you considered removing the floppy bay [unless of course you're intending to use it!]? that would allow you to fit 2x 120mm fans, or alternatively, mounting your HDD in that general area? obviously, that would be a custom job =]

i've got a graphics card in mine, i find that it seperates the 2 current intake fairly well - one for the lower half, the other for the top.

i've dropped a hole in my case for the PSU cables, like you are suggesting. i also run my sata, GPU power and ATX cables through it to another hole in the motherboard area - i have no cables running through the standard PSU hole.

lastly, i've got my hard drive in the PSU tunnel - below the DVD burner, in front of the [pass through airflow] NeoHE PSU. with the top vents covered, all the air has to come through the 5 1/4" cover in front of my hard drive, which has been modified =]

hopefully that gives you a few more ideas - if you don't need to mount your HDD up top like i do, i suggest not doing it unless you can guarantee some airflow.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Shobai wrote:i've got a graphics card in mine, i find that it seperates the 2 current intake fairly well - one for the lower half, the other for the top.
This is what I love most about the NSK3480 and some of the mATX mobos I am looking at. The lower 92mm intake corresponds almost directly in height with the lower part of the mobo. If you get one of the boards with the northbridge/southbridge in one place on the bottom end, the lower fan can be dedicated to cooling the north/southbridges and vidcard.

This is the same reason I want to put the HDD on the bottom. If I have my way I can spot-cool the north/southbridges, vidcard, and HDD all with one fan. The upper part of the mobo, namely the CPU and ram, can depend on the rear case fan. I'm going to try and have the lower intake fan flip on only when certain parts reach a certain temp. Awesome!
i've dropped a hole in my case for the PSU cables, like you are suggesting. i also run my sata, GPU power and ATX cables through it to another hole in the motherboard area - i have no cables running through the standard PSU hole.
So, you took it one step further? You have the first hole about where I drew mine, and then another one on the mobotray so cables can exist as well. Not too shabby. I'll have to consider doing that myself. Where did you place the second hole? Do you have pics?

As for the 3.5" bay, removing it is not a bad idea either. I don't need that slot for anything right now, but on the other hand I don't anticipate needing a third fan. I think I'll leave it be for now.

Did you cut out the rear 120mm fan grill? It's pretty open already, and I'm considering leaving it be.

Finally, I am delighted that you appear to be using the Ninja Rev. B and the AN-M2 (M2 regular or M2HD?). Would mind having a go at my questions here?

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 pm

The NSK3480 is indeed a very nice case. I cut the vent grills from mine and I run two Nexus fans, one on the exhaust and the other on a Ninja. When I was building my system in it (it is quite roomy!) I considered hiding the extra cables in the right side empty space, but I didn't have tools at hand to make the hole, so I just left them in the chamber under the optical drive. I also swapped the PSU fan since I was aiming for better noise levels - only the electrical noise was left, if you don't count the moving air whoosh due to the top intake vent.

aztec

Post by aztec » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:21 am

I've been waiting on starting my mATX project on the hopes that Antec will release an all-black NSK3480. :)

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 am

Would it be feasible to use some of the suspended HDD techniques to "hang" three HDD's towards the front of the case, below the floppy bay?

I'm interested in this case, I just want to make sure I can mount a single DVD-R and 3 SATA drives for a small network file server.

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I don't see why not. If you can construct a suitable frame for them, space shouldn't be a problem. A large CPU heat sink like the Ninja will be very near but not too close, only bothering you when you install the drives and you need to cram your hands in there as well. Cabling will hamper things more, so prepare to bend your main ATX power cable a fair bit, depending on where it needs to go.

You could orient them like the 3.5" drives in a Sonata III and then suspend that system. The frame perhaps shouldn't couple the drives too tightly together mechanically, but it helps if it is rigid. I once had two hard drives suspended one below the other on some bicycle inner tube rubber. It worked, it just was slightly bothersome to install and remove.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Wabbit wrote:Would it be feasible to use some of the suspended HDD techniques to "hang" three HDD's towards the front of the case, below the floppy bay?

I'm interested in this case, I just want to make sure I can mount a single DVD-R and 3 SATA drives for a small network file server.
Probably, depending on how close toward the front of the case your mobo places your cpu heatsink. Like Jokoto said, you'll have to make sure you can get the PSU 24atx cable out of the way. In the below pic, the 3.5" cage has been removed without modification (the case allows this).

I will be buying an 24atx cable extension to ensure that I can push it to the side, even thought I won't be suspending my HDD.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks for that great picture, C. Zoui! What kind of mobo and heatsink is that?

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am

Abit AN-M2 mATX mobo, Ninja Plus Rev. B heatsink. They're a good match for the NSK3480, IMO.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 am

C. Zoui wrote:Abit AN-M2 mATX mobo, Ninja Plus Rev. B heatsink. They're a good match for the NSK3480, IMO.
I've got an MSI K9NBPM2-FID mobo. Still stock heatsink until I figure out what I want to put in there. Are you using that heatsink without a fan?

Looking at you picture, it might be too tight to hang the drives sideways like the Sonata, but maybe I could get away with suspending them vertically instead of horizontally?

adarkar

Post by adarkar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:40 pm

C. Zoui wrote:
Wabbit wrote:Would it

I will be buying an 24atx cable extension to ensure that I can push it to the side, even thought I won't be suspending my HDD.

Is there enough space to mount the 120mm fan on that Ninja? I'd like to buy it, and use it with a fan (light overclocked cpu).

Also, the screws for the front fans (92mm fans) are too "narrow" to fit "standard" fans' holes... any soluton to that? thanks.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am

Wabbit wrote:I've got an MSI K9NBPM2-FID mobo. Still stock heatsink until I figure out what I want to put in there. Are you using that heatsink without a fan?
Technically, yes. For all intents and purposes, no. Right now I've got a 120mm 1200RPM Slipstream on rear exhaust that will be sucking air through the ninja. I will probably duct the exhaust fan to the Ninja if I am satisfied with the cooling for the rest of the mobo, particularly in the areas around the CPU that are below the duct.

Pending testing that will not be completed for some time, my 120mm will either go in position 1, 2, or 3. The grey diagonal lines represent the location of a possible duct.
Looking at you picture, it might be too tight to hang the drives sideways like the Sonata, but maybe I could get away with suspending them vertically instead of horizontally?
Perhaps. You would block more of the front intakes that way, though. Check out Porkchop's rig for a size approximation. Two other things in his thread are worth nothing: he's still getting decents temps despite blocking the front intakes with the HDD, and going with a heatsink other than the ninja would probably provide enough space to suspend the HDDs like you originally intended. If you are going to be throwing a fan directly on the ninja anyways, perhaps you can put it in position 2 on a different heatsink and build a duct.
adarkar wrote:Is there enough space to mount the 120mm fan on that Ninja? I'd like to buy it, and use it with a fan (light overclocked cpu).
I don't see why not.
Also, the screws for the front fans (92mm fans) are too "narrow" to fit "standard" fans' holes... any soluton to that? thanks.
Nice observation; I hadn't noticed this before. After playing with the holes, I couldn't even work the Verax rubber sticks all the way through! If you have a drill, I know there are hole-enlarging bits (I'm not sure what they're called, they're vaguely pyramidal-shaped) that will allow you to enlarge circular holes. Perhaps you could find smaller screws that fit the smaller holes on the case, fill the holes on the 92mm fans with silicon caulk and then screw the smaller screws into the silicon. Myself, I will be cutting an intake for a fan >92mm, so I will be drilling new hole mounts anyways.