now that solo is cheap, would it really help my screamer?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rewdoalb

now that solo is cheap, would it really help my screamer?

Post by Rewdoalb » Sat May 03, 2008 2:48 pm

so, the Antec Solo is now $45 after shipping and rebates. I'd like to use it on my dad's PC which consists of:

loud aluminum case, with 2 high-RPM 8cm side fans and a window above them
silent by comparison Mushkin PSU (modular)
E6300 and stock cooling (no OC)
ATI x1950pro with some past heat issues in my CM5 case (no side fan)
WD 250GB SATA
DVD burner (IDE)

How much do you think replacing the screamer case with an Antec Solo would help, considering that at this point we can't drop any more cash on replacement fans, etc? Would I be able to run cool enough with the tri-cool set on low? Or at the most, on medium? Also I'm assuming the x1950pro w/ stock cooling will fit in a Solo.

Thanks!

Rewdoalb

Greg F.

Seriously

Post by Greg F. » Sat May 03, 2008 5:32 pm

it couldn't hurt, and I am not trying to be sarcastic. A good case is a must have I can't imagine that you would ever regret buying a Solo. Seriously, at that price pick one up.

thegoldenstrand

$50 Rebate at Newegg until May 9th.

Post by thegoldenstrand » Sat May 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Yep.. if you need a case that deal at Newegg is very good.

Mike

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 04, 2008 3:31 am

Hello,

If the case fans are the loudest things, and if the HD is audible, then the Solo will be a big help. It is a sturdy steel case, with the sides dampened and excellent air flow, and with HD suspension as an option.

It's gonna' make the loudest things quieter, so you can then hear the next loudest things.

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Sun May 04, 2008 12:42 pm

The biggest improvement will be overall airflow and fans. Not to say that the stock Antec fans are any good, but the ability to use 120mm fans (and 92mm/100mm for intake if necessary) already bests the 80mm fans.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Mon May 05, 2008 7:57 am

Dollar for dollar it's without a doubt the best upgrade you can make, imo. I had a cheap, thin, flimsy aluminium case and without changing any of the loud coolers I migrated my system into a Solo and the difference was huge. No more harddrive and fan related vibrations.

Also, $45 for a Solo is ridiculous. With the value of the dollar relative to the euro now, if I were to purchase a Solo I'd have to pay literally triple that.

kaange

Post by kaange » Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:It's gonna' make the loudest things quieter, so you can then hear the next loudest things.
Amen to that - you end up chasing noise sources you didn't know existed.

If the video card had issues in a C5, then it might be worse in the Solo unless you put in a lower front fan.