P182 fan mounting

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

P182 fan mounting

Post by amyhughes » Sat May 31, 2008 11:24 am

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to soft-mount the top fan or a fan near the graphics card in the P182. How have people solved this, or does it not make a lot of difference?

I intend to use the top fan rather than block it.

Thanks,
Amy

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sat May 31, 2008 3:30 pm

I currently have the top fan sort of semi soft mounted. I used silicone mounts in place of the 2 screws, but I had to widen the holes in the plastic top cover to accommodate them. tbh there's very little benefit in doing this. If your fan is quiet you'll be ok anyway. Personally I plan to join everyone else in ditching the upper fan and blocking the vent.

For getting soft-mounted airflow directed on the graphics card I used foam. To do this you have to ditch the upper HD cage completely, but you get the benefit of being able to duct fresh air direct from the filter...

xev

Post by xev » Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 pm

that looks very nice.
i think i'll be doing something similar with the upp hdd cage fan

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Sounds like an interesting solution, Where did you get so much of that foam?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 am

I just googled for foam suppliers and found one that suited (efoam.co.uk I think it was). They supplied it cut to size and I made the holes. I found at least a half dozen different online shops here, so I guess it'd be a similar or better situation in Canada/US.

I ordered two of every piece I wanted. It didn't cost much more, because the foam was way cheaper than the carriage charge, plus I ended up using most of the spare stuff anyway.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 am

Doesn't make a difference with an S-Flex at 1000 RPM at least. No heavy resonance with the rear one hard-mounted and the top one attached with two silicone studs.