Antec SLK3700 - My Idea For Quiet Computing....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 9:37 am

thanks for that
Personally I feel that anybody who is serious about silencing would want a door
Indeed, but Katana Man (as if hes my idle :roll: ) does not have a door and yet his rig is silent. Plus, I find I rarely use my CD drives as I prefer the no-hassle approach of no-cds :P
If the AcoustiCase C6XXX is like my D8000 from Coolcases, it doesn't have a removable MOBO tray. I believe the Antec SLK-3700 does
The AcoustiCase is based on the same design as the Antec as is your D8000 case; all three do not have removable motherboard trays I believe. I do little mobo swapping so this is not a problem.

Any idea on price?

Kind Regards
:D

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 9:41 am

Also, I much prefer the black colour to the Antec Metallic Brown :shock:

It is much easier to match drives and its easy to get black floppy drives for instance. Also, it comes with no PSU reducing the price hopefully.

Really, it comes down to how much they are charging for this pre-dampened case. If its extorniate then I'll stick with me SLK3700 thank you very much!!

Regards
:)

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 30, 2003 9:45 am

The one thing to be careful of is the fact that quiet PSU's tend to have low airflow. Therefore you'll want to have positive air pressure. With my D8000 case (same interior as the SLK3700), if I used a 120mmx38mm Panaflo for the exaust, and if I ran it anything over 5V, it slowed the PSU airflow to a crawl. (I'm using the Fotron 120mm PSU.) This was due to the fact that the exaust was greater than the intake. If I cranked it up to full speed, the PSU exaust was nearly non-existent.

So my recomendation, is not to use the 38mm fan for the exaust. (If you do, slow it way down). I honestly feel I've got the perfect setup now, after much experimenting with the case and different fans, I am extremely happy with this layout:
Papst 4412's 120x25mm in front and back. Slow the rear one down as slow as possible. Run the front slightly faster than the rear, and hope that the PSU has enough ooomph to move air as well. :)
Last edited by Katana Man on Fri May 30, 2003 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Fri May 30, 2003 9:46 am

Definitely no removable mobo tray in the SLK3700 -- but I found it very easy to install my very large mobo (GA-7VAXP Ultra) in the case without any trouble. I usually install the HS with the mobo out of the case -- but plenty of space either way (compared to other cases). I didn't even feel compelled to take out the PSU.

What I want to know is: will the AcoutsiCase dampening pack for the C6607x be available/sold separately? I'd love to have some pre-cut dampening for my SLK3700. :P

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 10:08 am

great stuff, the man himself, katana Man :shock: I'm basing my silent rig on yours (lets hope!)
Papst 4412's 120x25mm in front and back. Slow the rear one down as slow as possible. Run the front slightly faster than the rear, and hope that the PSU has enough ooomph to move air as well
Thats exactly what I was thinking. So, in your setup, i suspect you use a 5V 4412 at the back, and 7V 4412 at the front?

Definitely no removable mobo tray in the SLK3700 -- but I found it very easy to install my very large mobo
Cheers for that DanOnKeys; your posts have also helped alot with my prep for this silent beast. Indeed it seems the interior of the case is very roomy thus installation should be a breeze.
will the AcoutsiCase dampening pack for the C6607x be available/sold separately?
I susepect so, as you can get predone packs for the Sonata etc.

So my rig looks like this:
Case: AcoutsiCase C6607B
Mods: Cut out fan grills, drill real fan holes, edge it off with rubber trim
Intake Fan: 7V Papst 4412 using fan isolators
Exhaust Fan: 5V Papst 4412 using fan isolators

What ya think Katana Man. I got the same HS + fan combo as you (slk900) so do you think for a newb this'll be up there with the best (yours!!) :roll: ??

Regards

PS katana Man are they the only fans in your case!? 2 x Papst 4412 and 1 x Papst 92mm (I forget its model number) ??!

PPS I found the AcoustiCase has rubber lov-vibration feet too, surely this can do nothing but aid my search for silence!?

PPPS Katana Man, 2 edits!? Too much Heineken me thinks :P

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 30, 2003 10:55 am

Thats exactly what I was thinking. So, in your setup, i suspect you use a 5V 4412 at the back, and 7V 4412 at the front?
Actually, I'm able to adjust it even more with my Zalman fan controller.
PS katana Man are they the only fans in your case!? 2 x Papst 4412 and 1 x Papst 92mm (I forget its model number) ??!
I've got a total of 4 fans. 3 are 120mm and one is a 92mm.
PPS I found the AcoustiCase has rubber lov-vibration feet too, surely this can do nothing but aid my search for silence!?
It can only help. I'm lucky though, my computer is sitting on carpet.

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 11:27 am

Cheers Katana Man...
Actually, I'm able to adjust it even more with my Zalman fan controller.
Any approximations on the voltages for front and rear fans? I want to keep my computer simple by just using 7V and 5V fan converters, so would a 5V 4412 @ rear and 7V 4412 @ intake be okay (perhaps your voltage levels using the Zalman are around these levels anyway?)
I've got a total of 4 fans. 3 are 120mm and one is a 92mm.
I suspect the third is a 4412 on a Zalman fan bracket? Shoud I do this ie what does it do for temps and noise levels?
It can only help. I'm lucky though, my computer is sitting on carpet.
Wood for me :roll:

Regards
:)

PS We are talking about the "4412 FGL" right!? Just to be sure this thread has gone on for ages I kinda get myself confused!

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 30, 2003 11:33 am

I know the rear is running at 4.9V. I'd guess that the front is probably around 6V.
My 3rd 120mm is in the Fortron PSU.
Keep in mind, I have no fan grills, case vents are cut out, and no fan filters. The only restiction there is, is the modder's mesh in front. Needless to say, this case breathes easy.

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 11:46 am

Excellent :o
I know the rear is running at 4.9V.
Thus I'll use my 5V molex adaptor on the exhaust :)
I'd guess that the front is probably around 6V
I supose I'll settle for my 7V molex adaptor on the intake then ;)
Keep in mind, I have no fan grills, case vents are cut out, and no fan filters. The only restiction there is, is the modder's mesh in front
Similarly, i intend on no fan grills, cut out case vents, and no fan filters. I will use fan isolator mounts ofcourse. I WILL leave the front bezel on the AcoustiCase as it is, shouldn't hinder cooling/noise too much?

So what do you reckon, am I all set (when the AcoustiCase is released ofcourse, and depending on its price) ???

Kind Regards

EDIT: Oh yes my other two questions above...

"I suspect the third is a 4412 on a Zalman fan bracket? Shoud I do this ie what does it do for temps and noise levels?"

+

"We are talking about the "4412 FGL" right!? Just to be sure this thread has gone on for ages I kinda get myself confused!"

Thanks!

PS: Sadly I don't have the Solid State HD :( :wink: Just give me a week to re-mortgage :P

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 30, 2003 11:57 am

Yes, 4412 FGL is the model I have.
I don't have any experience/need for the Zalman fan bracket.

As for the front bezel, I'm a big fan of removing a section of the front bezels, but that's your call. Check out my 3 recent cases:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... final2.jpg

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 12:14 pm

Indeed you are!
They all look good, but the D8000 is easily the sexiest of the lot :wink:

Right now though, i'm not prepared to cut away the front bezel. Hopefully the front bezel of the Acousticase is sufficient..

What d'ya reckon?
don't have any experience/need for the Zalman fan bracket.
Sorry man i got confused again ! I realise your 3rd 120mm fan is in your PSU, sorry :wink:

Thanks again :)

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 30, 2003 12:44 pm

Yeah, the D8000, Marcase, Antec SLK37000, are all based on this CompuCase 6A19. Color and front bezels are the only differences. The Acousticase is simply a stock black CompuCase 6A19, with the acoustipack pre-installed. The front bezel has the same air restrictions as the D8000. It will increase your case temps by 2 degrees or more. Then you'll have to speed up the fans to compensate. That's why I mod with modder's mesh.

hitman47

Post by hitman47 » Fri May 30, 2003 1:42 pm

:(
oh well, I can handle a 2 degree increase (I wont be turning up fans to compensate though :P )

Thanks for everything Katana Man and everyone else.
I just gotta wait for the AcoustiCase to come out, and examine its pricing. Im prepared to pay sub £130 sadly :?

So to review:
Acousticase
Cut out grills
Use fan isolators
Use Papst 4412 @ 7V for intake
Use Papst 4412 @ 5V for exhaust
Ill be using sexy SATA cables and rounded cables

Ill add to this thread soon when the Acousticase comes out, and after the goods have arrived.
Thanks again all kind regards :)