Which case is quietest ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Omarko

Which case is quietest ?

Post by Omarko » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm

hi guys

I currently have Temjin TJ10 with 5 x fans (Yate Loon, Nexus, Noctua) all hooked up to a fan controller ... pretty quiet but still ... the case has a window and aluminium panels ... although looking fantastic ... I was thinking what would the next step be if I wanted a quieter case.

I was looking at Cosmos but u cant router cables behind the mobo tray and it has door plus the HDD cooling is terrible. I do like the sound deadening panels etc ... and ppl say its very quiet.

I like the P182 but its small and cant take 2 x 9800GX2 ... so the case needs to be big ...

yeah so basically I am looking for a very sturdy build, with simple yet good looks, price is no issue.

any tips ? cheers!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:20 pm

I like the P182 but its small and cant take 2 x 9800GX2 ... so the case needs to be big ...
if you're even considering SLI 9800GX2 then the case is secondary; your main problem is how to evacuate 300W+ of heat quietly. unless WC is in your future, I don't see it being achievable.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:02 pm

P182 not taking huge SLI-setups is just a matter of drilling out a couple of rivets.. see the update on viewtopic.php?t=47294

I can't really tell if P182 can be modified similarily, but atleast my P180B can take just about as many cards as I ever get... Also the PSU-issue is now sorted.

Indeed the heat created by the two cards is crazy and TBH I don't think a genuinely quiet rig can be built with two of those cards (I've used one and it was problematic enough)...

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Why do you need 2 9800GX2's??? Is playing Crysis on high instead of very high really that bad that you need to spend another £350?
I agree with jaganath, those 2 cards will be producing enormous amounts of heat when gaming.

As for which case is the quietest, the P182 has the most potential to be quiet out of cases i know enough about to judge. Since ive got no need for anything bigger than that i cant really say whats good for quietly housing a big SLI system.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 pm

First time i ever heard someone call the P180 series of case "small"

SLI is over rated. Its never really lived up to what the old voodoo2 12meg's could achieve in SLI. In some cases you actually lose performance in current SLI setups. Its really more of a braggings rights thing than a performance thing. Kind of like having a 1k watt PSU, or a window with neon lights. No real world functionality, just the ability to brag to friends about.

So if you have the cash just to brag to your friends, then go for it. But if all you really want is performance and silence, then you dont need it. Get a P150/Solo, a corsair 520w PSU, with a single video card, 4gigs of memory and a velociraptor and it will be plenty fast and still be quiet.

yukon

Post by yukon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 pm

People who know they need two 9800GX2 GPUs can get them. I don't see how they could possibly be needed outside scientific vector computing, since SLI isn't efficient enough, and it doubles the heat and power draw each instance. I think it's better to save money, and buy the next card that comes out, which will often be twice as fast as the old one, creating less heat, and costing less.

Anyway, I'd suggest a case with heavy panels and a door. I suggest the Antec P190, for the large fans, and dual PSUs for SLI. I have no idea if it's feasible with the GX2, but that's the kind of heat generation that watercooling is for. Having four waterblocks and tubes in a small area like that sounds difficult, requiring specialty hardware that may not exist.

Having five case fans, a window, and four GPUs, it all seems very opposed to silent computing. There are things you can do to minimize the problem, and this is the place to help, but with that kind of setup I'd put it in a closet/cupboard and run cables.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:22 am

Definately if somones going for 9800 GX 2 Sli, they certainly can spent 400+ quids on case.

P190 seems only real choice with Bigboy on side, 120mm on back and front and 2x 140mm fan's on roof. And 1200 W twin PSU that might be just enough... and eAtx compeatible.

Nine Hundred and Twelve Hundred are enough to cool but are not silent case. Quiet at the best. But with that kind of monstrocity heat... Quiet case would be good enough if it can keep them cool.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Im a newbie here but i can give you a tip. The Cosmos 1000 case is very big and has discreet looks. It can easily fit 2x9800GX2 and has room for watercooling a plenty since if you really want 2x9800GX2 and want a quiet system you will definitly need to go with watercooling.

Bear in mind watercooling is problably alot more complicated then simple air cooling.

I for one recommend you go with 1x9800GX2 or wait for the newest GT200 GPU.

NOTE!!!!!: IF you get the cosmos you should know it is difficult to route the cpu power cable behind the mobo, not impossible but difficult as it requires long cpu power cable.

You should also be aware of the fact that the Cosmos 1000 has kinda sucky HDD solution so the best HDD solution is modding the current HDD area empty and then do suspending or softmounting.

Other then those 2 aspects the Cosmos is a good case, with those 2 things corrected it might even be better then the P182.

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:29 am

well i got my p182 yesterday, so i can only speak for that.

i cant hear anything but my HD's and thats muffled out aswell.
i am using 800rpm slipstreams and 1 1200 on the cpu.
and my 8600 is on stock cooling.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:28 am

FartingBob wrote:Why do you need 2 9800GX2's???
I agree with jaganath, those 2 cards will be producing enormous amounts of heat when gaming.
And absolutely ridiculous amount during idling:
http://metku.net/index.html?path=review ... index_eng5
Basing on difference to 8800GT and GTS 9800GX2's idle consumption is around 80W at the least!
To top of that Nvidia's SLI chipsets are power hogs...
Have to wonder why environmental groups aren't lynching Nvidia and "multi-GPU industry"!

Lian Li has many cases with reasonable "no bling and hundred and one holes" design.
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... s_index=66

I'm myself strongly considering V2110 (better pics in page of 2010 which lacks door) and optional PCI cooler.

Antec has also couple new versions coming.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:04 am

i really like the lian li aswell, i was looking at it before but its a little out of my budget for a case, i think the air flow is really good in that.

as for the new antec, the new p183 has some pics about, its basically addressing the issues of air intake from the p182, but i personally think it looks horrible. the have vents in the front door like the p18 mini, the fan doors have more space between the grill and have been designed to allow more intake, and they have also vented the drive bay covers so you can see the bare metal behind it.

again, iv only had my p182 a week now, im more than happy, i was expecting a difference from my last system but this is silent with 4 fans in it.
my components arent too hot but they are not used for gaming or high performance so although it is quiet i probably would prefer the lian li for cooling.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 am

Those video cards provide their own air flow and output it outside the case, right? So it is just a matter of providing them as much cool air as they ouput. I expect you can make that work in a p182, just clear the path for the two 120mm fans you put in the front middle and front top.

Remove the middle hard drive tray and the useless metal covering the floppy bay to fit the cards (just like Jipa said, good work there), and you're off!

That said, If you care as little about the noise as I expect, the P183 was built just for you. It is a p182 with a little bit less quiet and a little bit more air flow.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 am

Luminair wrote:Those video cards provide their own air flow and output it outside the case, right?
Sure it has own fan but unlike HSFs of most top end cards its airflow isn't that directed.
HSF has more hole to inside of case than outside of it:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... ges/20.htm
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... ges/18.htm
Probably because that was only way for having enough airflow to prevent that hamburger from cooking itself up!
So that PCI cooler/exhaust fan of Lian Li would be more than in order.