Any decent non-Antec case for <$100?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Goober

Any decent non-Antec case for <$100?

Post by Goober » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 pm

I know everyone loves the Solo but I don't won't to deal with the crappy buttons breaking. I've been doing a lot of looking and am having no luck. I did some searching and some of the ones recommended here in the past like the Evercase and the hec 6a19 (I think that's the right model #) are no longer available. So, does anyone have any ideas?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 am

If I were specifically trying to avoid the Solo, but wanted something with a similar layout, I'd probably try and get hold of a Lancool K7. It's Lian Li's "budget" range, but IMHO it's nicer than the more expensive models, which have always left me cold from an engineering viewpoint. Depending on where you are, you might find it difficult to get hold of at present though.

The Solo's killer feature is its hard drive mounting (either the grommeted trays or the suspension), and I don't know how the Lancool would compare... you might end up having to home-brew something, but that goes for more or less any other case you might consider anyway.

I do agree with you about the Solo's buttons - they're little short of a disgrace, and it's completely beyond me why Antec compromised the whole product with such sloppy inattention to detail.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 pm

nick705 wrote:If I were specifically trying to avoid the Solo, but wanted something with a similar layout, I'd probably try and get hold of a Lancool K7. It's Lian Li's "budget" range, but IMHO it's nicer than the more expensive models, which have always left me cold from an engineering viewpoint. Depending on where you are, you might find it difficult to get hold of at present though.

The Solo's killer feature is its hard drive mounting (either the grommeted trays or the suspension), and I don't know how the Lancool would compare... you might end up having to home-brew something, but that goes for more or less any other case you might consider anyway.
Beautiful case, but I hate cases that provide direct way for noise to escape.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Erssa wrote: Beautiful case, but I hate cases that provide direct way for noise to escape.
Yes, that could be a problem unless you're very careful with your choice of components - there's also the Lancool K10, which is the same internally but has a heavy aluminium door which should go some way towards blocking off any noise. I guess it would also impede airflow to some extent, but it's hard to tell from the crappy review I linked to whether it would be a major problem in practice.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:23 am

Hello,

I've worked with four Solo's over a long period of time -- and none of their buttons have broken. I think this is a minor problem with what is arguably the best case ever, for under $100. As has already been mentioned in this thread -- with other cases, you will compromise some much more important quality -- like noise, and/or cooling.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:25 am

I'm not sure the button issue is major enough. As long as you don't push hard, the buttons will not break. And avoid using the reset button because that's really the weaker button. The power button I've never had a problem with. I broke the reset long ago because I pushed it far too hard in, which is not needed. Also antec sends replacement panels if you're silly enough to break it.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I think this is a minor problem with what is arguably the best case ever, for under $100.
I agree it's not a major problem, but the fact is it shouldn't be a problem at all. It's just bad design, pure and simple, and the Solo's merits in other respects just makes it all the more annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Solo and the P150, and I've also built plenty of systems using them - I haven't had any buttons fail on me yet, but it's easy to see how it might happen. Although I wouldn't write the case off as a potential purchase on those grounds alone, I don't see why any product, even an Antec, should be excused from criticism where it's warranted, and the Solo's buttons are most definitely worthy of criticism.

aztec

Post by aztec » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:11 pm

PC-A05 from Lian-Li.

Just gotthe case, and its been really easy to work with.

Cooling has been good so far as well.

Goober

Post by Goober » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm not sure the button issue is major enough. As long as you don't push hard, the buttons will not break. And avoid using the reset button because that's really the weaker button.
The Solo is not exactly a budget case and I think it's silly to have to baby it. Cases are one of those few things that should last forever. I have a really old Antec case here and while the buttons occasionally stick they still work and I've been far from easy on them.

I thought this one might be ok but the front vents look really small. I do like the way it has rubber hard drive mounts instead of rails like most cases do.

That Lancool one looks interesting too but I wish there were some reviews by people here before I spend that much. The power supply mounting (I have one of those 120mm fan ones) plus the huge openness of the front panel might be detrimental to quietness. How much so is the question.

kel

Post by kel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:05 am

tbh getting a good case for <100$ might be difficult...antec seems to have one of the best price/performance ratio which makes it rather difficult to recommend similarly cheap alternatives.

The only case I can think off of the top of my head is the Lian-Li A05 - the front fans are hidden behind the front cover (air is blown out through slits in the side of the front panel) so it looks promising, no idea though how good the case as a whole is though...i've got one ordered for a 2nd computer I plan on building but apparently it's in short supply around here and i've already waited 3 weeks for delivery, so might still be a while until i get it...

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:18 am

kel wrote:tbh getting a good case for <100$ might be difficult...antec seems to have one of the best price/performance ratio which makes it rather difficult to recommend similarly cheap alternatives.

The only case I can think off of the top of my head is the Lian-Li A05 - the front fans are hidden behind the front cover (air is blown out through slits in the side of the front panel) so it looks promising, no idea though how good the case as a whole is though...i've got one ordered for a 2nd computer I plan on building but apparently it's in short supply around here and i've already waited 3 weeks for delivery, so might still be a while until i get it...
The PC-A05 is not bad at all. I'm coming from a Chenbro SR209, so the all-aluminum was a surprise to me. This thing is very light (but not flimsy). There's space for 120mm fans for both exhasut/intake and you can buy an adapter/cage that will let you mount another 120mm fan to exhaust.

There's a 2,000 post thread on Hard, lots of good ideas there for the case. Its very mod-friendly.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133290

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:56 am

Well,

If you find a case that improves on all the important features that the Solo offers -- please tell us about it!

I have my criticisms of the Solo:

:arrow: The location of the HD LED forces the convoluted wiring and affects the way the filters are mounted.
:arrow: The brace on the left side forces you to remove the motherboard to remove the PSU; if you have a large heatsink on the CPU.
:arrow: The stock fan should be quieter, and it would be great if you could put a 120mm fan in front.

None of these is a deal-breaker for me. If they were fixed, and the if ATX mobo mounting points were embossed into the support plate (a la Evercase 4252) -- it would be nearly perfect!

The positives of the Solo are huge:

:arrow: Solid construction with damped panels
:arrow: Excellent air flow through indirect intake with no mods needed
:arrow: Hard drive suspension (two types)
:arrow: It doesn't come with a PSU; so you can choose your own.

But the (slightly) weak design of the buttons really doesn't tip the balance. Especially considering that they would (probably) replace them for nothing, if they do break.

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:54 am

I think my friend's Solo shipped with a faulty button - it was stuck "on" so the power supply and other fans spun up as soon as it was plugged in, and it would shut down after 2-3 seconds. I should check with him to make sure it was a Solo, though.
*EDIT July 11th* I just confirmed with Peter; I remembered correctly.
Last edited by zoatebix on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I've been waiting over a year for a solo redesign. I know antec has it in them to make some nice changes. Just making the following would be worthwhile
a) 120mm front fan
b) Sturdy buttons
c) slightly more space between back of case and hd cage
d) cable routing behind mobo
e) Some minor changes in style and looks
I think all that in itself would make the case almost perfect.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:04 am

I've had button problems with my last 2 case's, but I don't see them as a big deal. With my Nexus, the hot glued power button got loose, the switch itself works, but it's pretty hard to use. Solution? Plugged reset button to power button pins.

With my NSK3400 the power switch cord snapped. Solution connected reset button to power button pins.

Ok, it would be nice, if both buttons worked, but I'm fine with just the power switch, even if it's the reset button.

kel

Post by kel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:56 am

heh speak of the devil...the a05 that I ordered a month ago finally shipped, so I'll let you know how that's doing as soon as I get it (probably monday) :-)

Manresa

Post by Manresa » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:06 pm

In addition to the flimsy buttons (my reset switch broke long ago* (albeit in a fit of pique over repeated freezes trying to load GTA San Andreas)) the P150/solo is too narrow to fit extra-long graphics cards like an 8800GTX or GTX 280. I like mine, but am in the market for a new case so I can buy a new GPU without wondering if it will fit.

*Antec immediately sent a new front panel.

Goober

Post by Goober » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm

The PC-A05 only has 2 5 1/4" bays and I need at least 3. Now it's big brother the A07 looks pretty sweet but no one seems to carry it and if they did it'd probably cost too much anyway. :(