New build - small case recommendations !?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Boomerang Rapido

New build - small case recommendations !?

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi guys,

I haven't been writing here for quite a while, but I'm looking into a new system build so I'm sure I'll be catching the quiet bug again in the near future.

Anyway, I'm building a new system, and I want to get rid of my old huge TT Dragon case and go for something smaller.

For the hardware I'm looking at the following:
CPU: Athlon X2 5000+
Mobo: Asus M2A-VM
RAM: 2 X 2GB Dual channel
HD: Donor drive(s) from old PC
Optical: Donor drive(s) from old PC
Graphics: Asus Radeon 4850

Now for the case, I'm considering a few options:
- Antec NSK3480 (with stock PSU)
- Coolermaster 340 + Corsair VX450W PSU
- Apevia X-QPACK2 + Corsair VX450W PSU
- Silverstone TJ08 + Corsair VX450W PSU

Does anyone have an opinion (experience) on either of these cases? Ideally I would like to have room for 2 HDD which rules out the Antec, but if need be I'm willing to just buy a bigger drive.

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 am

The TJ08 is very cheap feeling, and there are quality control issues. I've used two of them and both have had stripped screw holes out of the box, for example (I've also had this issue on other Silverstone budget cases). Overall, the thing is just plain flimsy and not enjoyable to work in like Silverstone's higher end kit.

I haven't used it specifically, but I think the Antec would be your best bet, they're tough to beat in budget cases as far as silence goes. Lian-Li beats them hands down in style, but they take a lot more work to silence.

jessekopelman

Re: New build - small case recommendations !?

Post by jessekopelman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:39 am

Boomerang Rapido wrote:Ideally I would like to have room for 2 HDD which rules out the Antec, but if need be I'm willing to just buy a bigger drive.
NSK3480 has room for two 3.5" HDD (actually 3 if you don't need an optical drive). One goes in the upper compartment (under the optical drive) and one goes in the main compartment (bottom of case). Using the bottom of the case may block access or restrict car length for lower PCI slots.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:00 pm

You will struggle to even fit 1 hard drive in the TJ08 if you have a big heatsink like a Ninja.

I have a TJ08, and my hard drive lays on the bottom on some foam.

As for quality problems with the TJ08, i have experienced the exact opposite. Everything looks very well made and finished. Havent had a problem with mine. Only the side panels are thin and flimsy, but thats hardly a quality problem.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:52 pm

I have a suggestion .
Have a look at an InWin V508 - they are cheap and well built , the power supply in them is made by fortron but is a bit average ( quiet when it starts up but noisy when it gets warm ) . They are easy to mod to be pretty quiet but not silent and are as small as a micro ATX tower can be . That said I recently replaced my two with Silverstone SG02-f cases - not bad cases but limited in what fans and coolers you can use - for me the SG02 cases were not a good idea - but they look good and can be stacked on top of each other - they are just a bit noisy to have on your desk . The TJ series Silverstones are a bit flimsy and not made as well as other Silverstone gear I would not use them and the Antec is very well made , pretty small but has limited hard drive options . They are the only cases on your list I have experience with .

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Lian LI PC-A05A or Lian LI PC-A05B might be good. Its very small, while being able to hold full ATX case. The PSU location might be a problem for someone... Despite being able to hold full sized ATX board, the case is barely higher than full ATX case and that's because PSU is in front...

aztec

Post by aztec » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 pm

thejamppa wrote:Lian LI PC-A05A or Lian LI PC-A05B might be good. Its very small, while being able to hold full ATX case. The PSU location might be a problem for someone... Despite being able to hold full sized ATX board, the case is barely higher than full ATX case and that's because PSU is in front...
I actually like the placement of the PSU in front.

In my old case, which has a standard PSU placement. My Ultima90i was very near the PSU intake area. This always caused my Corsair HX620 to pump out warm air.

In the A05, the CPU HS is directly in front of an intake fan which keeps a steady flow of cool air into the case's hottest component.

The exhaust slits on the front panel seem to work well on this case too.

The only thing I don't like about this case is the pocket of warm air which builds up on the PCI area. Look at the pics and you'll see why. I'm actually thinking of attaching a quiet 80mm on the outside PCI slots to draw some air out.

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Namheul wrote:As for quality problems with the TJ08, i have experienced the exact opposite. Everything looks very well made and finished. Havent had a problem with mine. Only the side panels are thin and flimsy, but thats hardly a quality problem.
It's been awhile, but the highlights were the stripped screw holes out of the box and a warped frame only partially remedied with the panels on. I know there was something else, but I just can't remember right now. In my experience, it just isn't worth the money when you can get the Antec for less, or a budget Lian-Li for a similar price. Of course, I haven't checked the price on it in awhile.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 am

I can accross intresting small case from Lian Li: Lian Li PC-A59. Only real problem I see is that PSU mounts side way on CPU, so you would need to use low powered dual core and low profile heatsink like Scythe Shuriken.

But it does look nice though. Some pictures:
http://www.overvoltage.pt/forum/showthread.php?t=2646

120mm intake in front and 120mm Exhaust on top. Pretty intresting. It seems side panel has holes for PSU ventilation so bottom cooled PSU might take care thru side panel and not inside the case...

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 am

+1 for the nsk3480!

I've got it crammed full of hot hardware (OC'ed Q6600, OC'ed 8800gt... etc), and I couldn't say anything bad about it. It swallows up big hardware, and keeps it quiet. The only thing, having worked with 2 of these cases, it makes you really think about what order you install your parts. Take your time with the build, and that solid little beauty will serve you well.

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 pm

neumein wrote:+1 for the nsk3480!
The only thing, having worked with 2 of these cases, it makes you really think about what order you install your parts. Take your time with the build, and that solid little beauty will serve you well.
My parents have been complaining about the noise in their system (failed SG-01 experiment), and I'm thinking about moving it over to one of these. Any hints on the installation order? I imagine it won't take any more thought than some of the small Silverstone cases.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:31 pm

BUMP

Just going to try and revive this thread. The comments so far are much appreciated.

I've essentially got it down to the NSK3480 and the Coolermaster Elite 340.

How much difference in silence is there between the Corsair 450W and the stock Antec 380W ?

My plan is to get a mini Ninja and run it fanless (using exhaust fan only). Will I be able to do so in either case? Also will adding a fanless cooling solution to the Radeon 4850 be considered pushing it as far as heat buildup goes? :)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 am

well, either case (340 or 3480) if you want to run passive graphics, I suggest that you not use the front panel for air intake, and rather use the rear for intake. create a duct that goes the length of the graphics card that fits around the PCI slots. force air to enter the case through those open slots, and then the exhaust will pull the air up and over to the top portion of the case.

that's really i think the only way to go fanless in that case.

viewtopic.php?t=48293
^that's not a 3480, but definitely a topic to look through if you're thinking mostly fanless.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:53 am

Well passive graphics might be pushing it. But how quiet is the Antec 380W actually?

Would the Corsair be a better/more quiet option? Well seing it's on the recommended list I assume it should!? The price difference of a Elite 340 + Corsair vs the ANtec 3480 is insignificant.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:17 pm

bonestonne wrote:well, either case (340 or 3480) if you want to run passive graphics, I suggest that you not use the front panel for air intake, and rather use the rear for intake. create a duct that goes the length of the graphics card that fits around the PCI slots. force air to enter the case through those open slots, and then the exhaust will pull the air up and over to the top portion of the case.
I've tried this in my NSK3300 and found it didn't work all that well. I find a Nexus 92mm front intake running at ~1400 RPM doesn't add much if any audible noise. I used to get away fine with no front fan and a lower speed for my rear exhaust, but I moved to a room with much worse airflow. Before putting in the front fan, I tried the duct as you describe and it just didn't cut it. Whether or not you need a front fan just comes down to the ambient airflow in your location.