Rubber for [resonance] dampening.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mrSvamp

Rubber for [resonance] dampening.

Post by mrSvamp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 am

Now I have a beautiful Lian-li pc-a10, but it sounds worse than my 30 Euro old case. *hummmmmmmm... etc* The vibration/resonanse is killing me.
Allready have the majors covered up, noctuas on ULNAs, passive heatsink on CPU.
Please don't talk about the nightmare that is storage.

As the Usual DIY:er i want to silence up my rig without using pre made fabrics (you might as well read expensive) for dampening the chasso.

The thing I need is massloading (and i don't whant to ruin the beautifull thing with floor tiles so don't even suggest it or I will send an angry smiley in response!).
There is no butyl rubber mats in the local shops so thats out of the question.

My question is this: Whats the best dampening for me?
Does the kind of rubber make any diffrences acousticly? Do they stop vibrations any different? Then shold I use spray-on-adhesive?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 am

Dynamat is considered the best. It's used to dampen car panels, for car audio purposes. It's expensive though. I've never known anyone to try it, but vinyl diamond plate might well be a cheaper alternative, while looking better than most floor tiles.

mrSvamp

Dynamat

Post by mrSvamp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 am

Unfortunally dynamat costs an arm and 2 legs. Lookes at Damplifier but none shipping less than 100 Euros of it to sweden.

EDIT: Maybe i should just pick up some natural rubber for 15 Euro/m2

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:22 pm

There are cheaper alternatives to Dynamat. eDead makes a butyl rubber material that is similar to Dynamat Extreme. But the cheapest option is "Peel & Seal", otherwise known as roofer's tape. It's essentially a heavy aluminum tape with a thick layer of sticky asphalt on it. It's smelly at first, but it works. That can be found for around <$1/sq ft.

mrSvamp

finally

Post by mrSvamp » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 am

Found a dealer that has what i need.. Picking it up tomorrow. WIll post some pictures and thoughts of it when it is done.