The NZXT Whisper Thread

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bozar

The NZXT Whisper Thread

Post by bozar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:18 am

I can't believe why this case has never been mentioned before, It's almost a bigger version of P182, something atleast I would enjoy. The dampening materials are much thicker than Hush also. Anyone lucky enough to own one?

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:26 am

Nice... A little too much rear ventage near the PCI slots though, making it harder to stick to a clean front-to-back airflow pattern?

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:35 am

I think it's a interesting solution, compared to P18X series , It should provide good airflow without a top fan that ruins all silent configurations. I really hope SPCR will get one of these so it can be reviewed.

bozar

Post by bozar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 am

*Update* Sweclockers has made a review of this case, unfortunatley it has a bit higher temps than other big towers in the higher chamber due the lack of intake fan or air intake.

A kamabay would definitely help to solve the problem but it would be a bit expensive. Otherwise it seems promising and by adding a kamabay and swapping the stock fans för nexus or scythes it could provide a quiet case.

danielG

Post by danielG » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Based on looks, I'd say the NZXT Whisper is just an ordinary case with some foam applied to it. Build quality doesn't look great either. I'd say the Whisper is inferior to the P182/P190.

The side panels are just single sheet metal with foam applied to them. Panels that large are bound to be wobbly and vibrate. They don't look as solid as the P182's triple sheet panels.

Its also missing the small details the P182 has, such as the padding between the chassis and the side panels, the silicone gromets for mounting the HDDs or the silicone feet (all to dampen vibration).

walle

Post by walle » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I never judge build quality solidly on pictures anymore, experiences have shown me that I usually end up “provenâ€

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 am

[quote="walle"]I never judge build quality solidly on pictures anymore, experiences have shown me that I usually end up “provenâ€

danielG

Post by danielG » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 pm

bozar wrote:Also the top fan makes unpleasant noise, even with a nexus at 7V.
Nexus is a sleeve bearing fan. Sleeve bearing fans are noisy when mounted in a horizontal position. Consider replacing it with a Scythe S-Flex.

From SPCR's review of the Nexus D12SL-12
Aside from that, the only disadvantages are shared with Nexus' 80mm fan: Closed flange screw holes that make wire clips unusable without modification, and sleeve bearings that are inappropriate for horizontal mounting or high heat situations. Together, these ensure that, while the Nexus is an excellent choice for a simple case fan, it is less suitable for mission-critical operations such as a CPU heatsink or a hot power supply.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:19 am

walle wrote:I would also like to see SPCR review this case cause we are starving for options here, are we not? We basically have two cases to choose from (if no extreme modifications are taken into account) and I’m quite certain that many members would like to have another one to choose from.
Hear Hear! (see this thread)
viewtopic.php?t=50003

SFAAikido

Post by SFAAikido » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 am

Rare poster, frequent browser. I'm looking at this case for a media server.
danielG wrote:Its also missing the small details the P182 has, such as the padding between the chassis and the side panels, the silicone gromets for mounting the HDDs or the silicone feet (all to dampen vibration).
NZXT has some pictures on their website. According to these pictures, the Whisper does have grommets for the HDDs and PSU. No idea how effective they are.

http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/16
http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/19
http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/21

The panels might be a problem. Then again, maybe not.

No idea on the feet. Can't find any pictures from the bottom. Feet can be replaced though.

I like the open grills, HDD cooling, e-atx mobo. Not a fan of doors, but not that big of a deal. Top chamber cooling does look horrid. A Kama bay would fix that. So would a pair of modder's mesh bay covers if you keep the heat generation down.

Overall, looks like a winner for 5400rpm 1tb drives. I'll throw my name in with the people wanting a SPCR review.

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 am

danielG wrote:Consider replacing it with a Scythe S-Flex.
I have done that, tried a S-Flex and a Slipstream also but all causes to much noise so the only option left is to block it with foam.

Nil Einne

Post by Nil Einne » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 am

SFAAikido wrote:Rare poster, frequent browser. I'm looking at this case for a media server.
danielG wrote:Its also missing the small details the P182 has, such as the padding between the chassis and the side panels, the silicone gromets for mounting the HDDs or the silicone feet (all to dampen vibration).
NZXT has some pictures on their website. According to these pictures, the Whisper does have grommets for the HDDs and PSU. No idea how effective they are.

http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/16
http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/19
http://www.nzxt.com/products/whisper/21

The panels might be a problem. Then again, maybe not.

No idea on the feet. Can't find any pictures from the bottom. Feet can be replaced though.

I like the open grills, HDD cooling, e-atx mobo. Not a fan of doors, but not that big of a deal. Top chamber cooling does look horrid. A Kama bay would fix that. So would a pair of modder's mesh bay covers if you keep the heat generation down.

Overall, looks like a winner for 5400rpm 1tb drives. I'll throw my name in with the people wanting a SPCR review.
IMHO one of the problems with NZXT is they seem to sometimes prioritise form over function in a silly way. With the NZXT Hush the front 12cm fan is about 1/3 - 1/2 covered by the door. From a quick look at the Whisper it seems to suffer from a similar flaw. That's hardly going to help airflow or noise...

P.S. I think some video review I saw mentioned the feet. Or perhaps it was the Hush