Nexus Clodius..?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

vanhus

Nexus Clodius..?

Post by vanhus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Bought one (was cheap, needed case and fans). The case is supposed to have D12SL fans, but it seems they are relabeled Yate Loon D12SMs instead, as they go all the way up to 1700 rpm but never really silent. Interesting enough, the label on the fan (which i checked at the store) still says D12SL. Since I bought this case solely because of the fans, I feel greatly scammed.

How can Nexus do this? Did YOU buy the case because of the fans? Were you too disappointed to realize the fans aren't what they are supposed to be? Though the site tells the fans go 1000-1700, there is absolutely nothing but statement "two 120mm real silent fans" on the side of the box - VERY MISLEADING, as the RETAIL Nexus real silent fans top at 1000 rpm, not at 1700!

It's impossible to run them fans with 5v, as they are having hard time starting at low voltages. If you give them some help and get them going at 5v, they tick very loudly, but produce practicly no airflow at all. At 7v they sound a lot like D12SL, though they are louder at everything, including motor- and airflownoise. At 12v they sound like instead of moving air around, they want to move the case around. Indeed, at 12v they sound like miniature jet engines, especially at quiet enviroment (I live at countryside). Not sure which is worse, the motor or the airflow noise, but I know this: the combination is killing my ears.

I find this all very disappointing. If they didn't have the D12SL on their productline, I would propably never buy another rebranded Yate Loon.. I mean Nexus product again. Ever.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:11 am

To be honest I wish all cases would come without PSU and fans at all. At least PSUs are worth e-Baying but I have a box full of useless fans from cases.

Anyway for your predicament you should probably e-mail Nexus in the Netherlands, maybe they'll replace the fans for you.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:41 am

nutball wrote:Anyway for your predicament you should probably e-mail Nexus in the Netherlands, maybe they'll replace the fans for you.
I doubt they are willing to replace the fans, as they do work the way they are supposed to work. Besides of that, I don't see the point of posting two fans to netherlands, as it costs more to send them than it costs to buy a new set of retail D12SL fans (10-12€ for two). It's easier to whine online and warn people about this scam, than actually do anything about it.

What I'm really afraid is the side-effect this scam can have; I go selling these fans as D12SL and I get blamed for ripping people off. That sounds about as much right as do these fans. Not to mention in longer timeline the existence of these "new" D12SLs will start affecting the reputation of the current D12SLs, as people buying used fans/Clodius case start to think they are as silent as they are supposed to be. Once people start to think the "OEM" D12SL at their Clodius case is as good as it gets, it will destroy the reputation very fast, as kids owning the case pass information to each other claiming the D12SL isn't very silent. Sad thing is they are right, as -Clodius D12SL- is not silent. The retail one is.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:43 am

You should try mailing Nexus. They have been very helpful with issues in their products. If its rebranded as DS12L and over 1000 RPM's, its falsy branded or its circuitry is bad. Both are covered by warranty.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:34 am

The Clodius spec makes no mention of D12SL fans, it says simply it that it has "... two Real Silent 120mm case fans (black/white-version)..." and that they can be controlled from 1000 rpm to 1700 rpm. So they have a maximum speed of 1700 rpm and are clearly not the same as the Nexus Real Silent 120mm Case Fan (D12SL) which has a top speed of 1000 rpm.

The nearest Nexus retailer to me here in the UK sells the case for £38, and the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan for £4, both exclusive of sales tax.
The Clodius case I looked at had no labels on the fans at all. So the presence of incorrect labels on some cases might perhaps have been just a slip at the factory rather than any intent on the part of Nexus.

But regardless of what might or might not be on the fans, the spec is quite clear. And the cost of pulling the existing fans and replacing them with the 1000 rpm fans is not much.

Presumably you could still use that big illuminated fan control on the front of the Cloudius to drop the rpm of the fans down to around 600. If you did then the obvious shortcomings of the case - thin metal, lots of ventilation holes and the absence of soft mountings for the hard drives - would become even more apparent.

But despite that, for the money the Clodius in my opinion is still good value but as Nexus say it is part of their "...Ventilation Pro Series (and) is a great case to build an optimal ventilated computer..." which sounds like it is never going to be that quiet.
Last edited by lodestar on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:10 am

thejamppa wrote:You should try mailing Nexus. They have been very helpful with issues in their products. If its rebranded as DS12L and over 1000 RPM's, its falsy branded or its circuitry is bad. Both are covered by warranty.
I fail to see the point of mailing them, as according to their site, the fans are working as they are supposed work between 1000-1700 rpm. At best, I would only end up getting the same fans with different sticker on them - not the fans I thought I was buying. But who knows, I'll mail them.
lodestar wrote:The Clodius spec makes no mention of D12SL fans, it says simply it that it has "... two Real Silent 120mm case fans (black/white-version)..." and that they can be controlled from 1000 rpm to 1700 rpm. So they have a top speed of 1700 rpm and are clearly not the same as the Nexus Real Silent 120mm Case Fan which has a fixed speed of 1000 rpm.
There is absolutely nothing about the RPM on the side of the box. I took a look inside the case at the store where I bought it from, the sticker on the fan says it's D12SL. Every retail D12SL runs at 1000 rpm, at least I haven't seen NEXUS D12SL that does otherwise. HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?
lodestar wrote:The nearest Nexus retailer to me here in the UK sells the case for £38, and the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan for £4, both exclusive of sales tax. So the cost of pulling the existing fans and replacing them with the 1000 rpm fans is not much.
It's not about the money. When I pay for milk, I don't expect to get soda.
lodestar wrote:Presumably you could still use that big illuminated fan control on the front of the Cloudius to drop the rpm of the fans down to around 600. If you did then the obvious shortcomings of the case - thin metal, lots of ventilation holes and the absence of soft mountings for the hard drives - would become even more apparent.
I'm not whining about the quality of the case itself either.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 am

The problem I think is that at one time any mention of Nexus Real Silent 120mm Case Fan would only mean one model, the 1000 rpm D12SL version.

Including the Clodius fans, there are now three different fans from Nexus which call themselves 120mm Real Silent Case Fans. I have seen the box in which current Clodius cases are shipping. It makes a big play of the illuminated Fan controller, and the way the temperature sensor varies the controller color. It says that 120mm Real Silent Case Fans are fitted but does not mention speeds or models. Sounds like the box hasn't changed from the case you bought.

So I think it comes down to the same point, you cannot rely on what a box does or does not say - you have to check the spec.

However in your case the fans were clearly mislabelled which suggests to me that at some point there was confusion within Nexus and/or at their fan suppliers as to which fan was actually being fitted. The fact that no labels are fitted to Clodius fans at all now which might support that.

There does not seem to be any evidence that the spec has ever varied, and certainly my local Nexus dealer's web site is quite explicit about the speed of the fans, and the range of the controller.

So you do have a point, but it seems to me it is 50/50 between you and Nexus.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:46 am

lodestar wrote:However in your case the fans were clearly mislabelled
Clearly.
lodestar wrote:So you do have a point, but it seems to me it is 50/50 between you and Nexus.
There's 50/50 true to that. As I'm asking at the first post I made to this thread, I wonder if there are more people like me ie. is this problem actually widespread or is it, like you suggest, just a batch of fans that have been mislabeled. So far I'm the only one who dares to confess they actually bought the case, time will tell if I'm the only one..

..however missing label does tell an interesting story, does it not. Maybe it's not a scam. Maybe it is a mistake. Time will tell that too.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:17 pm

The Nexus website for the Clodius says 1000-1700rpm in at least three places. So the fans are exactly as they should be. It's most likely that the OEM has slapped the wrong stickers on them for some reason, but that does not matter since there's not a possibility for you to check the label on the fans before purchasing anyway.

Im not defending Nexus here, and not calling you stupid. Well at least not more stupid than what i am, i just ordered some stuff and then noticed a huge ad on the front page which said i will save 25$ for any order above 199$ if enter a code in my shopping basket. :oops:

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:27 pm

nici wrote:The Nexus website for the Clodius says 1000-1700rpm in at least three places.

Site says, box however does not. I'm not using internet at hardwarestore, I'm using my eyes and common sense - unless I'm buying something that's worth more than 50€. Then I might bother doing proper research.
nici wrote:So the fans are exactly as they should be.

Yes, that's my statement exactly, after reading their site. This is the reason I have no high hopes for the mail I send to Nexus.
nici wrote:It's most likely that the OEM has slapped the wrong stickers on them for some reason, but that does not matter since there's not a possibility for you to check the label on the fans before purchasing anyway.
Err, wrong. The hardwarestore had stockpile of them and one on display. So I indeed had the chance to check the fans and most of all, made my buy decicion based on what I saw; D12SL. I could have bought any 20-30€ case with some retail D12SLs, thought of having them preinstalled to save me time and effort however was too tempting.
nici wrote:Im not defending Nexus here, and not calling you stupid. Well at least not more stupid than what i am, i just ordered some stuff and then noticed a huge ad on the front page which said i will save 25$ for any order above 199$ if enter a code in my shopping basket. :oops:
Happens. I'm not really interested about the money here, I'm just whining since I very clearly got scammed. You call it mislabeling, I call it fraude. Unless Nexus can come up with nice excuse to cover what's happening here, I'm sticking with my opinion. I already sent mail to them, without any claims over this matter, except hoping they get the sticker issue sorted asap - not to mention provide me with official explanation of what's happening. In case they actually do reply, I'll let you know what's their side of the story and whether the story has a moral winner or not.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 am

Nexus came back, hopefully they don't mind me doing some copy-pasting:
The fans inside the Clodius case are set to 1700 RPM. That means at full speed they will run 1700 RPM.

But they are connected to the fan controller and at the minimum position of the fan controller the fans should run at around 900 RPM. This was the way the system was set up… at lowest speed lower then our standard fans and at full speed with much higher speed for superb cooling.

The model number is not so much related to the speed but more related to the components of the fan. So there is no need for a different model number.

We feel sorry that this has caused confusion. However with the fan controller on low the speed should be exactly what you desire.

We hope you will enjoy your case.
Disappointing. All the other manufacturers name their fans according to the resistor inside. At CLODIUS D12SL the resistor has clearly changed, which means it no longer meets the specs of the original fan. Still it's called D12SL?!

This is not mislabeling. THIS IS FRAUDE. BE AWARE!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:11 am

> This is not mislabeling. THIS IS FRAUDE. BE AWARE!

I still think you are over-doing it. As I said before, current Nexus Clodius cases ship with fans which have no labels on them and the reply you have received from Nexus simply bears out the true situation. Which is that the fans have always been described as 1700 rpm in the spec issued by Nexus, and that spec is widely publicised on sellers' web sites.

I agree that the box the case comes in does not mention the fan speeds, but I cannot agree that there was or is any deliberate intention to deceive on Nexus' part. I also note that Nexus say that when the Clodius fan controller is set to the minimum that the actual fan rpm is around 900. I would be very happy with that, so I really don't understand why you are complaining.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:00 am

lodestar wrote:I really don't understand why you are complaining.
I'd like to point out that I bought a D12SL, but I didn't get a D12SL. I bought D12SL with motor that's quiet, I got D12SL that's @7V louder than the original at 12V. I bought D12SL that runs 1000rpm@12V, I got D12SL that runs 1700rpm@12V.

WHO HAS ACCESS TO INTERNET AT HARDWARESTORE?

Even with internetaccess, I would still have found out the same: D12SL runs at 1000 rpm. Even if the current Clodius now comes without fanstickers, the company itself is still denying the fans are any different. You don't see a problem here? GOOD FOR YOU. Hopefully next time you buy non-fat milk, you get one with the fat. Next time you buy soda, you get milk. You buy car, they give you a bicycle. THAT is overdoing it.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 am

The trouble is, you see, you post a comment about Nexus claiming fraud on their part, but in reality all that happened was that you made assumptions about what you were buying and you did not check first to find out what you were actually buying.

Having opened the box and used the hardware, you then find it is not what you expected but it is precisely to the spec that Nexus advertise it to be, and Nexus itself has confirmed that fact to you.

Confusion on your part plus some confusion on the part of the OEM fan supplier of Nexus does not add up to fraud. Nor for that matter does the policy of Nexus of treating the phrase 'Real Silent 120mm fan' as a brand name for a range of products rather than an individual product name, unhelpful though that may be.

I don't have any connection with Nexus other than having bought a few of their products, and from what I can see they provide ample information about what they are selling if you take care to check first.

It is the same old story with hardware - buyer beware, and if you don't then for goodness sake do what everybody else does and that it is fix it yourself.

In your case the solution is both quick and reasonably cheap. For the sake of the equivalent of £8 here in the UK you can buy a couple of quieter Nexus fans, and as the fan controller on the Clodius will still work, you can then turn them down to whatever rpm best suits you.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 am

lodestar wrote:The trouble is, you see, you post a comment about Nexus claiming fraud on their part, but in reality all that happened was that you made assumptions about what you were buying and you did not check first to find out what you were actually buying.
I see. I hope they don't mind me eating chocolate bars at the shop next time I go there, as I no longer can buy chocolate without first checking if chocolate is called chocolate anymore. Sure, the package may say it is chocolate, it might even look and smell like chocolate, but hell if I'm going to believe it without tasting it.
lodestar wrote:Having opened the box and used the hardware, you then find it is not what you expected but it is precisely to the spec that Nexus advertise it to be, and Nexus itself has confirmed that fact to you.
They had case at store, THAT'S WHERE I FOUND OUT IT HAS D12SL INSIDE. Let me rephrase that - I saw shop selling chocolate bars I've always bought in a nice case. The wrappers were as if they were the chocolate bars I've always bought, they even looked and smelled like the bars I love. There was nothing about changed recepy on the side of the wrapper or case case they were bundled with, THAT PART I HAD TO FIND OUT LATER AT HOME, WHEN THE FRIGGING PEANUTS CAUSED ME ALLERGIC REACTION!
lodestar wrote:Confusion on your part plus some confusion on the part of the OEM fan supplier of Nexus does not add up to fraud. Nor for that matter does the policy of Nexus of treating the phrase 'Real Silent 120mm fan' as a brand name for a range of products rather than an individual product name, unhelpful though that may be.
According to Nexus there is no confusion. According to Nexus the fans have same internal parts, which is why the stickers stay - no need to change them. So next time you go to a store that sells them without retail package, BE AWARE. D12SL might not be the silent one anymore. It might run 1700 rpm. It might cause your neighbours to call the police for the noise it makes. You might get sued for selling it as a D12SL, but does Nexus care..?

No.
lodestar wrote:I don't have any connection with Nexus other than having bought a few of their products, and from what I can see they provide ample information about what they are selling if you take care to check first.
So it's my fault they provide D12SL fans that do not meet the specs of the retail D12SL fans? It's my fault they put them fans into exactly same wrapper as the D12SL fans that meet the specs and them sell them as such (because according to them, no internal parts are changed)?

Put your act together, man.
lodestar wrote:It is the same old story with hardware - buyer beware, and if you don't then for goodness sake do what everybody else does and that it is fix it yourself.
I tried fixing things. I tried to get them to warn people about the fans or at least, change the labeling of the fans. No avail.
lodestar wrote:In your case the solution is both quick and reasonably cheap. For the sake of the equivalent of £8 here in the UK you can buy a couple of quieter Nexus fans, and as the fan controller on the Clodius will still work, you can then turn them down to whatever rpm best suits you.
I know. This is exactly what I did. It still does not solve or remove the problem with fan labeling and them MISLEADING people.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Wow, way to chuck a hissy fit over something so trivial.

In the end, if you didnt research your purchase properly, its your own fault.

Though it looks to me as if you will not be conviced of this, so im not going to bother trying.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Namheul wrote:In the end, if you didnt research your purchase properly, its your own fault.
vanhus wrote:I see. I hope they don't mind me eating chocolate bars at the shop next time I go there, as I no longer can buy chocolate without first checking if chocolate is called chocolate anymore. Sure, the package may say it is chocolate, it might even look and smell like chocolate, but hell if I'm going to believe it without tasting it.
Namheul wrote:Though it looks to me as if you will not be conviced of this, so im not going to bother trying.
The sticker on the fan says Nexus D12SL. Even at the moment there is no information on the Nexus site about the existence of D12SL that runs at 1700 rpm. Please, do try and make search over such fan and come back reporting me about the results.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Namheul wrote:In the end, if you didnt research your purchase properly, its your own fault.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7614083.stm

..please go tell those moms and their kids they should have done their homework. That they should have researched their purchase properly, as if they had, their kids would be alright. Will you do that..?

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:19 pm

vanhus wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7614083.stm

..please go tell those moms and their kids they should have done their homework. That they should have researched their purchase properly, as if they had, their kids would be alright. Will you do that..?
ROFL! Over-react much?

You are comparing workers deliberately poisoning baby milk powder, with a computer company making new fans that are slightly louder and faster than an existing model with the same model number.

Bit of a stupid comparison dont you think?

Cant you just take the case back and get a refund?

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Namheul wrote:ROFL! Over-react much?
No, not really. Sometimes you really need to highlight your point in order it to make it through. Did you find the Nexus D12SL 1700 rpm fan information I asked for?
Namheul wrote:You are comparing workers deliberately poisoning baby milk powder, with a computer company making new fans that are slightly louder and faster than an existing model with the same model number.

Bit of a stupid comparison dont you think?
Yes, you are right - it is stupid. In this case the the company is fully aware of the situation (ie. poisoning the babies) but will do nothing about it. Philosophically, what Nexus does is even worse. But the milk powder was the closest thing in recent past I could find you to relate to. Now you finally do see my point?
Namheul wrote:Cant you just take the case back and get a refund?
I wish. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the case and it works the way it's supposed to work, therefor according to the local law, I'm not allowed to take it back. If I was like Nexus, willing to scam and fraude, I could just trash one of the fans and take the case back. Unfortunately I'm not that kind of guy, which means I have 3 years warranty time to wait for one of them fans, controller or the case to fail. Since I'm not using the fans, it's highly unlikely anything on the case will fail. But who knows, maybe I'm just that lucky.

However, this isn't about money, but principle. Like I said, I want nothing from Nexus to myself, but to people who are about to buy the case under the impression they too are getting what they are paying for.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

OK, thats fine. I would be a little upset too if i made a mistake thinking a case came with certain fans, when it doesnt.

In the end, you feel as if you have been ripped off, which is understandable, but at the same time, partly your own fault. And your claims that Nexus knowingly, and deliberately are committing fraud are ridiculous.

Nexus never advertised or promoted anywhere that the fans were the same as the other D12SL fans you were hoping for. In the end, your ASSUMPTION that the fans were the ones you were after is what got you into this problem.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Namheul wrote:OK, thats fine. I would be a little upset too if i made a mistake thinking a case came with certain fans, when it doesnt.
I made no mistake. I bought case with Nexus D12SL fans. However, these fans do not meet the official specs of the Nexus D12SL fans. So, I was mislead deliberately by the company. Misleading has many names. One of the is fraude.
Namheul wrote:In the end, you feel as if you have been ripped off, which is understandable, but at the same time, partly your own fault. And your claims that Nexus knowingly, and deliberately are committing fraud are ridiculous.
No, it's not my fault - even partly. The box does not provide you with the facts, the manual does not provide you with the facts. Only BOLD claim the product makes is the one with the sticker that's attached to the fans. The sticker says NEXUS D12SL. Nexus itself states the fans have same internal components, whereas anyone with even basic understanding of electronics must understand this can't be the case. The resistor isn't the same, there for it's not the same fan. Instead, it's something that is deliberately named D12SL. And that, my man, is fraude - no matter how ridicilous you find it. It's simply not D12SL. Period.
Namheul wrote:Nexus never advertised or promoted anywhere that the fans were the same as the other D12SL fans you were hoping for. In the end, your ASSUMPTION that the fans were the ones you were after is what got you into this problem.
You are right. Nexus never advertised nor promoted on the box that the fans run up to 1700 rpm. The sticker on the side of the fan however did and still does suggest they run at 1000 rpm - unless you can provide me with data of the NEXUS D12SL 1700 RPM FAN that existed before I started digging things up. I did not make an ASSUMPTION (unlike you, making such claim), instead I relied on the fact that the D12SL tops at 1000 rpm. This is confirmed by Nexus site, not to mention most of the hardwaresites testing the fan. However none of those sites, including Nexus site, know absolutely anything about D12SL @ 1700 rpm. Neither do you, it seems.

tsb

Post by tsb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am

I agree with the OP. If the fans are labeled the same as the better fans, D12SL, then Nexus is clearly being dishonest. You'd think they would at least send him the proper fans if he politely requested them. I'm glad I bought Scythe products for my next build.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:01 pm

vanhus wrote: I made no mistake. I bought case with Nexus D12SL fans. However, these fans do not meet the official specs of the Nexus D12SL fans. So, I was mislead deliberately by the company. Misleading has many names. One of the is fraude.
Yes you did make a mistake. You didnt not do your research properly, and you made the ASSUMPTION that the fans are the same.
vanhus wrote: No, it's not my fault - even partly. The box does not provide you with the facts, the manual does not provide you with the facts. Only BOLD claim the product makes is the one with the sticker that's attached to the fans. The sticker says NEXUS D12SL. Nexus itself states the fans have same internal components, whereas anyone with even basic understanding of electronics must understand this can't be the case. The resistor isn't the same, there for it's not the same fan. Instead, it's something that is deliberately named D12SL. And that, my man, is fraude - no matter how ridicilous you find it. It's simply not D12SL. Period.
Actually, i think you will find the only BOLD claim is on the website, which clearly states that they are 1700rpm fans.
vanhus wrote: You are right. Nexus never advertised nor promoted on the box that the fans run up to 1700 rpm. The sticker on the side of the fan however did and still does suggest they run at 1000 rpm - unless you can provide me with data of the NEXUS D12SL 1700 RPM FAN that existed before I started digging things up. I did not make an ASSUMPTION (unlike you, making such claim), instead I relied on the fact that the D12SL tops at 1000 rpm. This is confirmed by Nexus site, not to mention most of the hardwaresites testing the fan. However none of those sites, including Nexus site, know absolutely anything about D12SL @ 1700 rpm. Neither do you, it seems.
Again, you made the mistake of not researching what the product is. And once more so you might finally get it, the Nexus website clearly states the rpm of the fans, so you are wrong in saying Nexus doesnt know anything about a 1700rpm D12SL.

Im done with this argument. Enjoy your loud fans.

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Namheul wrote:
vanhus wrote: I made no mistake. I bought case with Nexus D12SL fans. However, these fans do not meet the official specs of the Nexus D12SL fans. So, I was mislead deliberately by the company. Misleading has many names. One of the is fraude.
Yes you did make a mistake. You didnt not do your research properly, and you made the ASSUMPTION that the fans are the same.
Only if one had ASSUMED the fans are any different from the regular D12SL fans, an assumption would have been made.

"I made no mistake. I bought case with Nexus D12SL fans. However, these fans do not meet the official specs of the Nexus D12SL fans. So, I was mislead deliberately by the company. Misleading has many names. One of theM is fraude."

In case I had done any research over the NEXUS D12SL fans, I would've found out they top at 1000 rpm anyways. Or did you come up with NEXUS D12SL fans that run at 1700 rpm? Showmeshowmeshowme.

What I've learned through this experience is this:

"I hope they don't mind me eating chocolate bars at the shop next time I go there, as I no longer can buy chocolate without first checking if chocolate is called chocolate anymore. Sure, the package may say it is chocolate, it might even look and smell like chocolate, but hell if I'm going to believe it without tasting it."
Namheul wrote:
vanhus wrote: No, it's not my fault - even partly. The box does not provide you with the facts, the manual does not provide you with the facts. Only BOLD claim the product makes is the one with the sticker that's attached to the fans. The sticker says NEXUS D12SL. Nexus itself states the fans have same internal components, whereas anyone with even basic understanding of electronics must understand this can't be the case. The resistor isn't the same, there for it's not the same fan. Instead, it's something that is deliberately named D12SL. And that, my man, is fraude - no matter how ridicilous you find it. It's simply not D12SL. Period.
Actually, i think you will find the only BOLD claim is on the website, which clearly states that they are 1700rpm fans.
You are right. Nexus never advertised nor promoted on the box that the fans run up to 1700 rpm. The sticker on the side of the fan however did and still does suggest they run at 1000 rpm (as this is the rpm retail one tops at AND there is no D12SL that runs at 1700 rpm, anywhere except in this thread).

The sticker says NEXUS D12SL. Nexus itself states the fans have same internal components, whereas anyone with even basic understanding of electronics must understand this can't be the case. The resistor isn't the same, there for it's not the same fan. Instead, it's something that is deliberately named D12SL. And that, my man, is fraude - no matter how ridicilous you find it. It's simply not D12SL. Period.
Namheul wrote:
vanhus wrote: You are right. Nexus never advertised nor promoted on the box that the fans run up to 1700 rpm. The sticker on the side of the fan however did and still does suggest they run at 1000 rpm - unless you can provide me with data of the NEXUS D12SL 1700 RPM FAN that existed before I started digging things up. I did not make an ASSUMPTION (unlike you, making such claim), instead I relied on the fact that the D12SL tops at 1000 rpm. This is confirmed by Nexus site, not to mention most of the hardwaresites testing the fan. However none of those sites, including Nexus site, know absolutely anything about D12SL @ 1700 rpm. Neither do you, it seems.
Again, you made the mistake of not researching what the product is. And once more so you might finally get it, the Nexus website clearly states the rpm of the fans, so you are wrong in saying Nexus doesnt know anything about a 1700rpm D12SL.
Like I keep on saying, researching D12SL would've made no difference at all. There is no D12SL that runs at 1700 rpm. Please, POINT OUT THE NEXUS D12SL THAT RUNS AT 1700 RPM. Even at Nexus site about CLODIUS, they do talk about SILENT CASE FANS, however they FAIL TO TALK ABOUT D12SL fans, DON'T THEY? THERE IS AND WAS NO 1700 RPM D12SL FAN, AS THE D12SL FAN ONLY RUNS AT 1000 RPM.

Now, what if I don't have internet? What if I need to rely on the shop and crosscheck the specs of the fans to the retail fans the shop also sells? What if this is what I did? I crosschecked the fans to the retail D12SL fans specs, which were PRINTED on the side of the retail box? Then what? Am I to believe the site (like silentpcreview) that tells me D12SL runs at 1000 rpm, am I to believe the retail box that tells me the D12SL runs at 1000 rpm or am I to ASSUME the fans run at 1700 rpm?!

Just an interesting sidenote, both, the clodius fans 1000-1700 rpm and caterpillar fans 1000 rpm have the same airflowrate. Isn't that a bit odd if the first one runs 70% faster than the second one? How can the clodius fan have exactly the same airflowrate than the D12SL fan if it's not the same fan, unless it's all a big hoax.
Namheul wrote:Im done with this argument. Enjoy your loud fans.
Done already?

These are the most silent fans I have ever bought, though I have have to admit, all the other fans I've bought have actually served and some even died in action. Guess closet fans like these will one day find their place at society and will come out, but till that day comes . .

. . guess the closet suites their needs just right.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Didn't someone say they are shipped with no sticker now? Which suggests that the early batches were labeled wrong by Yate-Loon. Which is unfortunate. Still, this reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSiE7XtqMc

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:52 pm

nici wrote:Didn't someone say they are shipped with no sticker now? Which suggests that the early batches were labeled wrong by Yate-Loon.
When approached, this is how Nexus explained labeling of the fans:

"The model number is not so much related to the speed but more related to the components of the fan. So there is no need for a different model number."

So they weren't mislabeled, they indeed were deliberately labeled D12SL. There's only one person - not company - claiming the fans are shipped without sticker, however I bought the case only two, three weeks ago. As our biggest resellers publish the dates of products importdates, it seems the cases were imported to Finland month, max two months ago. This does not speak highly for stickerless fans.

green

Post by green » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:55 am

normal people would contact the shopfront pleading their case
(ie. thought the product came with A, instead came with B)
if that isn't successful they move on to the manufacturer
if that isn't successful they then move on to consumer affairs
(specifically small claims-style courts)

but of course, why go through that process which had been developed over decades of trial and error in the hopes of creating some form of consumer protection and justice when it's so much easier to jump on the internet and yell into cyberspace at a bunch of people who research silence products and would have read the spec sheet of the case and known something wasn't right

given your mindset you should be taking this up with consumer affairs
every country has a local one in one shape or form
and it's down the road, not across the street

vanhus

Post by vanhus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 am

green wrote:normal people...
vanhus wrote:I fail to see the point of mailing them, as according to their site, the fans are working as they are supposed work between 1000-1700 rpm. At best, I would only end up getting the same fans with different sticker on them - not the fans I thought I was buying. But who knows, I'll mail them.
vanhus wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with the case and it works the way it's supposed to work, therefor according to the local law, I'm not allowed to take it back. If I was like Nexus, willing to scam and fraude, I could just trash one of the fans and take the case back. Unfortunately I'm not that kind of guy, which means I have 3 years warranty time to wait for one of them fans, controller or the case to fail. Since I'm not using the fans, it's highly unlikely anything on the case will fail. But who knows, maybe I'm just that lucky.
My mindset is irrelevant. What matters most is the fact Nexus is scamming people and I want people to know about it, not to mention talk about it.

I'm not going to make the shop pay for doing the right thing; the local consumerservices are way too slow to do anything about the matter at hand and the time they finally do get something done, it's too late for the people who already got scammed while they were thinking what to do. You might consider people buying the cases more "smarter" than me, giving them enough brains to do the proper research I failed to make, but trust me - especially these smart ones are on the dangerzone, as they already know Nexus D12SL runs at 1000 rpm, NOT 1700. In case they don't do the research but instead, RELY ON THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND BRAIN (like you suggest) they will carry home a mediocore case with extremely poor fans - though they clearly THOUGHT they were buying D12SL fans.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:25 pm

green wrote:given your mindset you should be taking this up with consumer affairs every country has a local one in one shape or form and it's down the road, not across the street
OP wouldn't even need to contact consumer affairs. In Finland we have two weeks to return a product, if we are unhappy. One more good reason to buy from big shops or e-tailers like verkkokauppa.com. Customer service is excellent. I have returned graphics cards because they were too loud.

I have to agree with most people here. OP is throwing a hissy fit over something really trivial. It was his own fault for not reading the specs and for not returning the product when he saw the product wasn't what he had wanted.
vanhus wrote:WHO HAS ACCESS TO INTERNET AT HARDWARESTORE?
Usually the shop has. Especially when they have computers on display. And these days most people with cellphones have internet access everywhere they go.