Aerocool 400mm side fan :shock:

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

proc

Aerocool 400mm side fan :shock:

Post by proc » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Did anyone try this case
http://www.aerocool.us/htdocs/case/S9%2 ... eature.htm
or this other model
http://www.aerocool.us/htdocs/case/V-To ... eature.htm
?

Apart from aesthetic considerations (dunno if I like it or not yet) I think the huge side fan could be quiet at 400rpm (if well balanced).

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:03 pm

It would also serve as a giant hole where all internal noise would leak out.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Hypernova wrote:It would also serve as a giant hole where all internal noise would leak out.
and for dust to get in...

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:52 am

Flip the fan the other way, and it serves as a good room heater. That is of course, if your running a Netburst P4 or an Athlon XP at 60C from back in the day.... 8)

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:44 pm

sounds like the perfect size to mount a box fan from home depot or something lol

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:45 am

Nevermind a Netburt P4, you should use it with a Phenom 9950 or high end Core2 Quad, these can develop in excess of 130W of heat each.
Combine that with a dual SLI of NV GTX280 or Radeon 4870 in Crossfire.

Damn good room heater if i say so myself!

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Nevermind a Netburt P4, you should use it with a Phenom 9950
Even these can be cooled adequately in a conventional case - with an SLI setup - without a great deal of noise ! A 40cm fan is ridiculous even a 20cm fan is excessive (eg. in an Antec Mini 180)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 pm

It could literally spin at 100 rpm and keep a case cold.

If it was made in the US and hand machined, balanced, oiled, etc, it could easily be silent.

I would expect ithough t's made by a malaysian boy with one of his hands cut off for being late to work and it vibrates and is mostly plastic.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm

It could literally spin at 100 rpm and keep a case cold.

If it was made in the US and hand machined, balanced, oiled, etc, it could easily be silent.

I would expect ithough t's made by a malaysian boy with one of his hands cut off for being late to work and it vibrates and is mostly plastic.
Possibly.

Possibly, like anywhere with skilled Labour and the correct design and machining, not just the USA are capable of this, dozens (literally) are capable of this.

Possible, but unlikely. It is though probably all plastic (housing, fins etc), and its vibration would probably be quite low, but only a review will tell.

Andy

Neiro

Post by Neiro » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:36 am

I wonder if anyone knows a place where I can buy just the side panel with the huge fan on ?

I'm running my rig in a custom made desktop chassis with 3 120mm silverstone fans at the front (relatively quiet imo), but when I built the case I did not expect to ever need more than 2 harddrives. As it so happends I now have 7x500gb drives in it though, and room is scarse at best. My harddrives are mounted in front of the motherboard - and since the fans take up a bit of room I can't mount the harddrives with the power connector at the bottom, since it'd either collide with the motherboard or the fans - and this new fan seems to be the perfect solution!

Currently my lid is a plexiglass plate on some hinges (or how it's spelled), and I accidently broke it some time ago, so I have to replace it anyway.
I wonder if I even need my fans on the tr 120 extreme if I would have this moster hanging above it slowly pushing air all over the place...

Edit: Oh joy! an edit button! Tomshardware could learn something here! Anyhow, I may want to mention that I live in denmark, so I can buy stuff in EU only. Preferably denmark or germany as I wouldn't have to pay cross country shipping for that.

Moon GT

Post by Moon GT » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Speaking of room heaters, I did have the idea the other day of building a monster of a PC, and rent out processor time during the winter. Heating that pays for itself, and indirectly carbon-neutral! (since the computing work was going to get done in any case)

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:22 pm

These fans can be far from silent,
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YNX-aBNra4M

Neiro

Post by Neiro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 am

sounds like there are cables hitting the fan - good hardware can easily be made useless by poorly planned use.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 am

Sounds like the blades are hitting the housing IMO. Signs of poor construction.

Evert

Post by Evert » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 am

pony-tail wrote:
Nevermind a Netburt P4, you should use it with a Phenom 9950
Even these can be cooled adequately in a conventional case - with an SLI setup - without a great deal of noise ! A 40cm fan is ridiculous even a 20cm fan is excessive (eg. in an Antec Mini 180)

I wonder how these 2 compare, the Aerocool V-Touch Pro and the Antel Mini P180... Is the Aerocool more quiet and/or cooler because of its bigger fan?

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Hah. The case has a filter over the front 120mm fan mount. Nevermind the giant hole in the side or the grills posing as drive bay covers on the front.

:lol:

sgtsmith

Post by sgtsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Felger Carbon was always working on large fan experiments and I always enjoyed reading his posts.

viewtopic.php?t=40519

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

This reminds me back in the days of the hot (for the day) PII's and PIII's where it wasn't uncommon to have people overclocking their CPUs and leaving their side panel off with a box fan blowing inside. I know I did.

It wasn't exactly quiet, but got me an extra 10 3DMarks before crashing!!! :lol:

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 am

I helped my cousin build a computer with this case, and 2 passive gigabyte hd4850 graphic cards. :)

They are cooled well, but he says he gets cod on his legs, because the fan moves alot of air and he has it at the right side of his legs. :D

The fan itself is powered by a 4-pin molex, the same type that goes to a DVD rom or IDE harddrive. The fan is quiet while spinning up, it takes several seconds before it reach full speed. When it does however.. Its not quiet at all, its noisy. Having it spinn at half the speed would be sufficient, but I dont know any way to controll its speed when its run by a standard 4-pin molex. Help!

http://forums.pcworld.com/servlet/JiveS ... nector.jpg

Fawlters

Post by Fawlters » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:41 am

The 5 or 7 volt trick should both work, so long as the fan can still start.
If you fancy something more variable or controllable try this site, it's been mentioned on here before in Fans & Control:

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/index.html

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 am

I'm more interested in the size of the motor that powers this fan. Those big blades need quite some power to rotate, and it might stall if you're trying to undervolt it.
Anyway, this thing is a very efficiënt cooler when combined with an AXP-140. :D

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:36 am

I made an incredible picture with paint.. Does this look correct?
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/ ... oltage.jpg
Xobim wrote:I'm more interested in the size of the motor that powers this fan. Those big blades need quite some power to rotate, and it might stall if you're trying to undervolt it.
Anyway, this thing is a very efficiënt cooler when combined with an AXP-140. :D
Yeah, it takes several seconds before the fan reach full speed, so maybe it wont have the power to move it at all with a lower volt, we will soon find out I guess! We installed a Noctua NH-C12P, it works good with that huge fan to. Maybe the AXP-140 is even better, I dont know anything about that CPU cooler. Do you use it? :)

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 am

I don't own an AXP-140, but it has a rather large fin surface and lots of heatpipes, so it should work pretty well with a 400mm fan/jet. (Ofcourse, that's just by looking, we'll need some extensive testing to find out how powerful it really is.)

As for the molexes: that is correctly aligned.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 am

Re: Voltage control

I can't remember what brand it was but I've done a build with a similar giant fan. I didn't like it one bit (really grindy and growly) but it did come with its own variable pot to trim the speed and the thing did start without problems every time - no matter how low you set the pot.

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:42 am

Xobim wrote:I don't own an AXP-140, but it has a rather large fin surface and lots of heatpipes, so it should work pretty well with a 400mm fan/jet. (Ofcourse, that's just by looking, we'll need some extensive testing to find out how powerful it really is.)

As for the molexes: that is correctly aligned.
Alright, thanks for answering about the molexes! :D

About the AXP-140, that was the way I was thinking about the Noctua cooler to instead of choosing a tower type cooler. I dont dare to run it fanless though, because if I rely on the chassifan to cool the CPU, I could probably run into a scenario when I open the computer chassi to do something while the computer is on. It would be easy to forget that I actually turned off the CPU fan by removing the chassi cover, since the 400mm fan would work as the CPU fan..

I rather have the freedom to open and close the chassi without worrying about the CPU to overheat when I do it. It would probably be sufficient cooling to not have the fan installed on the CPU cooler if you dont care about that scenario though!

The diffrence on the passive HD4850 crossifre setup from having the chassi fan on/off is about 20 degrees celcius. I think that is good proof that the cooling solution works well, even though it is some distance between the 400mm fan and the GPU coolers.

joelmusicman

Post by joelmusicman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:08 am

If you were to control it with a potentiometer (like a fanbay, but for that size you might need something with a higher Amperage capacity), it might work better by starting at full, then dialing it down after running.

I'd really doubt that it would start at 5v, or even 7v reliably, but that's just my thoughts...