Think I've got a problem - P182 and HEAT.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hellspawn

Think I've got a problem - P182 and HEAT.

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am

Well, for the time being my system consists of:

P182
Q9550
XIgmatek 1283
WDC 640gb
BFG GTX280-OC
4gb (2*2) memory
DVD-/+ R drive
Media card reader
Corsair 620hx

One tricool on low on the top vent
One tricool on low on the rear exhaust.

After about an hour of playing some games, GRID, Left 4 Dead demo and the release of Call of Duty: World at war the top vent air was so hot that it was uncomfortable to leave my hand there. The rear exhaust was maybe a little better, but not much.

I have all my cables hidden, zip tied, nice clean interior. Not as much as some on here, but much better than I've ever done before.

CPU temp was about 58-60c on all 4 cores, GTX280 was about 90c, NB was 58c, SB 60c, "MB" temp was 124f. I did not have my laser thermo with me, but this box was toasty.

I am picking up 2 scythe 800rpm and 1 1200, and maybe a s-flex 800 for the top vent in the next week or so. Just thought going to this larger case would allow some nice temps, GTX280 included.

Aside from cranking the tricools to med or high, is this anything that the new fans might fix or do I just have a small furnace now? Idle on the CPU is 32-35c at rest, gtx280 about 50c, everything seemed to be about 25-50c higher than normal. All fans were running.
Last edited by Hellspawn on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:27 am

Have you considered this? P180/182/190 Intake Airflow Restriction: A simple solution In short,
The primary intake bottleneck is a fairly minor one: It's the hinged doors that cover the intake vents behind the main front door....
Simple solution -- try removing them (or at least the top one) & keep the main door open and see what happens to temps.

BTW, I don't think the heat you felt or the temps reported by your components are much out of line. If you put an AC power meter on the thing, you'd probably see something like 300~350W. Imagine that amount of heat being pushed out of a heater. You'd expect it to feel hot.

How do you think the CPU temps stay under 60C? By moving the heat out of the case. The only way it'll feel less hot is if you increase the airflow -- which means the the air would have less time to heat up as it moved through the case.

Anyway, reducing the impedance to airflow should be the #1 priority, and then maybe increasing fan speed/flow. Note that the main determinate of airflow is your slowest fans in one direction -- that is, if you have 2 fans blowing out each pushing 20cfm, putting 2 intake fans at the same speed or faster will not improve airflow much, if at all... tho it will may help in spots -- like maybe the video card.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:07 pm

I have a Kill-a-watt I'll have to check it later tonight. I'll try opening those hinged doors as well, thanks and I'll see what happens.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 am

Those temps are NOT bad.

You need to ask yourself two questions

Is the system noisy? (yes/no)
Is the system unstable? (yes/no)

If the answer to both of those questions are no, I wouldnt worry about it.

Remove the filter doors if you havent already, and consider a kama bay. Obviously getting rid of the tricools would be first on my list.

Try adding a fan on the middle intake, that might help abit.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:44 pm

You didn't mention anything about the front fan. Remember the temperature of the hot stuff depends on how much cool air you are shooting at it :)

And like mentioned, those temperatures may or may not be a problem. I suspect that you might be more comfortable if you shoot cold air at the video card from the front of the case, however. Also, there are tens of p182 threads here to read :o

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Idle on the CPU is 32-35c at rest, gtx280 about 50c
I would not be worrying too much about your CPU temps - My room temp is 39c as I write this . The GPU seems a little warm but only by 5-7 c - is there clear airflow to your video card cooler ? Is it sucking hot air of something else in your case ? I am guessing from your CPU temps that the room was in the low to mid twenties - if it was hotter your GPU temps are OK .

danielG

Post by danielG » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:25 am

Adding a front fan should lower your temps significantly. Middle would disguise noise better, but the GTX260 is too long.