Q: Wiring a CoolerMaster case with USB/1394/audio

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

Q: Wiring a CoolerMaster case with USB/1394/audio

Post by modman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:06 am

I currently setup two PCs in CoolerMaster cases. One in a ATC-610-GX1, the other a TAC-T01-E1, the new WaveMaster case. Both cases have one 1394 (Firewire) port, and two USB ports; the WaveMaster also has two audio ports.

USB:

I suspect the USB ports are not 2.0, but don't have any 2.0 devices yet. Could anyone could confirm this? If they are USB 1.1, Where can I get replacement cables?

FireWire (1394):

The ATC-610 case is using an Intel D845GERG2 motherboard. Since the mobo doesn't have FireWire, and the case comes with a standard FireWire cable, Is there a workaround to run the cable to a port on the back of the case, or do I have to drill a hole for it?

The WaveMaster case is using a Intel D865PERLK motherboard. This mobo has two 1394a-2000 male headers on the motherboard. They look just like the USB headers. I am thinking on replacing one end of the FW cable that came with the case with a female housing that fits. Does anyone know the part number for the housing and crimps, or where to get this cable?

Update:
The Front Panel 1394a-2000 header here

I will truly appreciate anyone's help.

Thx
Last edited by modman on Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:02 am

I too am in a similar situation in that I have one PC in a CoolerMaster case (ATC-111) and another in the works (that will be situated in an ATC-600 case). In any case, I'm afraid that I can only provide advice re the firewire problem. I think that the simplest solution would be to acquire a PCI firewire card that has an internal port (such as this one; if you are in the U.S., this one strikes me as being a better deal. Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance. Take care.

modman

FW chipset

Post by modman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:34 am

LushMD,

Your first link didn't work, the second one did. Thanks.

I going for the Koutech KW-582V2. It uses the TI chipset, has an internal port, OHCI compliant, and WHQL certified on Win2K, but listed as designed for XP in the Win catalog; Koutech found as Kouwell, the parent company. Great reviews here. The -RB version here comes with ULead VS6 and cable.

The Koutech KW-1582V and KW-1582T are WHQL certified on XP but nowhere to be found.

I still need to get the mobo connector for the PERL. It uses an Agere FW323 controller, also certified, and available as a 1394 PC OEM Card in a 2+1 configuration but couldn't find it either. Chipset docs here.
Last edited by modman on Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

modman

Re: Q: Wiring a CoolerMaster case with USB/1394/audio

Post by modman » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:28 am

modman wrote:Does anyone know what each of the four-wire audio cable does? It must be line-in (or mic-in), left-out, right-out, and ground, but, which is which?
Figured it out. FYI, on the D865PERLK, enabling the front panel connector disables the rear analog ones. :(