P182 versus Sonata impressions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tom Brown

P182 versus Sonata impressions

Post by Tom Brown » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:50 am

I have a few Sonatas and a Sonata II. This week, I'm using my first P182.

The Sonatas have been good cases. They look good, they work well, and they feel like quality. Unfortunately, they are not a quiet case.

The modifications I made to the Sonata and Sonata II cases could have been done to any case with similar results. Good quality fans. Carefully controlled air flow. Modifications for more airflow through the bezel. Taping off unused HDD vents to force the air to come through above and below the only installed HDD. ... your basic stuff. The results were, in my opinion, excellent but not necessarily any better than could be achieved with any number of cases.

This P182 is on a different level. I particularly like the steel and plastic composite side panels. I think noise shrouding is a touch better and the lower PSU/HDD chamber is brilliant. Also, it's a treat to have so much room to work in, as compared to a Sonata.

At the moment, I have a single HDD installed. I can't hear it. On the weekend, I will add 5 more drives and I'm sure they will be plenty audible. That's fine.

The only thing audible in the case is the top fan. I swapped out the Antec tri-cool fans for Nexus fans. There is no rear fan.

Would it be much quieter if I moved the top fan to the rear? It probably cools a touch better being on the top of the case but I don't need max cooling as the system is no monster.

nick705

Re: P182 versus Sonata impressions

Post by nick705 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Tom Brown wrote:...the lower PSU/HDD chamber is brilliant. Also, it's a treat to have so much room to work in, as compared to a Sonata.

At the moment, I have a single HDD installed. I can't hear it. On the weekend, I will add 5 more drives...
I like the P182 as well, but you may find your positive impression slightly changes over the course of the weekend (about the lower chamber being brilliant, and having so much room to work in, that is)... :D
Tom Brown wrote:Would it be much quieter if I moved the top fan to the rear? It probably cools a touch better being on the top of the case but I don't need max cooling as the system is no monster.
For what it's worth, I've found Nexus fans to be practically inaudible in either position when they're running at around 600rpm, but I think the question of top vs. rear really depends on your own particular setup - if there's a direct line of sound between the top fan and your ears, you may find things improve if you move it to the rear. But then, if there's a hard vertical surface directly behind the PC, you might get the sound bouncing back at you to some extent. So my rather unhelpful reply is "maybe, try it and see."

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for the help, Nick.

nick705 wrote:I like the P182 as well, but you may find your positive impression slightly changes over the course of the weekend (about the lower chamber being brilliant, and having so much room to work in, that is)... :D
I see what you mean. It's clear the Antec engineers didn't bother to try a 4 disk configuration in the lower compartment. It's not easy to keep all of those cables away out of the mid compartment fan blades. I've got everything tied up and it's OK but that mess of cables can't be good for the airflow.

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Tom Brown wrote:Thanks for the help, Nick.

nick705 wrote:I like the P182 as well, but you may find your positive impression slightly changes over the course of the weekend (about the lower chamber being brilliant, and having so much room to work in, that is)... :D
I see what you mean. It's clear the Antec engineers didn't bother to try a 4 disk configuration in the lower compartment. It's not easy to keep all of those cables away out of the mid compartment fan blades. I've got everything tied up and it's OK but that mess of cables can't be good for the airflow.
When I tried 3 hard drives in the bottom chamber, i found airflow wasnt really impacted and they all stayed nice and cool. However, once I added a fourth, all four hard drives shot up in temperature, and that 4th drive evidently prevents a fair amount of airflow. I found 3 drives was the maximum amount i was willing to put in there.

axee

Post by axee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 am

Tom Brown wrote:Would it be much quieter if I moved the top fan to the rear? It probably cools a touch better being on the top of the case but I don't need max cooling as the system is no monster.

I tried both optios and rear fan is better option, much quieter with any fan, I tried antec tricool and slip stream. Don't know why but putting fan to horizontal position makes more noice...Putting fan to rear hole and cutting grills is the very best option.