Lian Li PC-V351 - really tight screws...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Lian Li PC-V351 - really tight screws...

Post by shleepy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Just got my Lian Li PC-V351 case today. My first impression is that it's much bigger than I imagined (and I did look at its specs and dimensions beforehand, of course).

My second impression was... WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM? WHY THE HELL DID THEY SCREW IN THE SCREWS SO GODDAMN TIGHTLY? For both of the side-panels, there are 6 small/medium-sized screws that you need to unscrew to access the case from the side. Apparently, Lian Li didn't think that anyone actually needs to put anything IN the case, since only one of them per side did not require an insane amount of effort to unscrew. For the others, I can't imagine how the hell I can get them out... I WILL end up annihilating the heads if I keep trying, and that won't exactly help the situation.

Thoughts and suggestions, anyone?

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Got both of them off, but a couple screw heads were basically destroyed in the process, heh. With one left on each side, I had to twist the panel (along with the remaining screw)... Jeez, I'm not liking Lian Li so far.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:31 pm

I guess it's the price you pay for having 5.25" bays on the sides... but somehow Lian Li managed to make their PC-X series cases with only one screw on each side panel PC-X500

They should implement it on the V351. Unscrewing 6 screws to get a side panel off is for the birds.

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:33 am

I would contact their customer support and demand a few new screws to be sent over to you.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 am

Bakkone wrote:I would contact their customer support and demand a few new screws to be sent over to you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just sent the request, and we'll see what they say.

hobochunk

Post by hobochunk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:33 am

Any pics / thoughts of the completed system? Thinking of getting this myself.

zodaex

Post by zodaex » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 am

Is there room for a Mini Ninja to fit in this case?

JoeTheZombie

Post by JoeTheZombie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Yes. A Mini Ninja fits... you can even install it before sliding in the tray!

rick57

quiet?

Post by rick57 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:01 am

shleepy

when it working, how quiet was it?

Thanks

rick57

Post by rick57 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 am

Can anyone comment - (if it wasn't clear) how quiet is the Lian Li PC-V351?

rogerano

Re: Lian Li PC-V351 - really tight screws...

Post by rogerano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:23 pm

shleepy wrote:. WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM? WHY THE HELL DID THEY SCREW IN THE SCREWS SO GODDAMN TIGHTLY?

Thoughts and suggestions, anyone?
I bought this case the other day and found the same basic "problem". However I found that the issue was not really the tightness of the screws, but the screw-driver used.

How to explain...

Both the screw-drivers below were what I'd call "standard" sized philips-head. P2 I think they're called.

My first attempt involved using a screw-driver with a head that was... pointy. When inserted, the pointy end hit to the bottom of the screw-head. What this meant was that the screw-driver fins could not properly engage with the slots and kept slipping. I stopped and thought about that.

Then I used the same sized screw-driver but with a blunt end. No problems. The fins engaged with the slots and no damage was done to the screw heads.

I also experimented with a smaller size driver but this also slipped.

Edit:
rick57 wrote:Can anyone comment - (if it wasn't clear) how quiet is the Lian Li PC-V351?
It will be as quiet as the fans you use. The stock fans are 120mm, 80mm and are not quiet units. Your stock CPU fan will also make noise. There is no dampening material included with the case. The 120mm fans are mounted with rubber grommets and the HDD trays include soft mount components.

rick57

Post by rick57 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Rogerau

I’m surprised, a review I read seemed pretty favourable

Are there 3 stock fans, (two of 80 mm?)

Do the stock fans come with a fan speed controller, might that be enough, if you dont drive the CPU hard?

Rickau :)

rogerano

Post by rogerano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm

rick57 wrote:Rogerau

I’m surprised, a review I read seemed pretty favourable

Are there 3 stock fans, (two of 80 mm?)

Do the stock fans come with a fan speed controller, might that be enough, if you dont drive the CPU hard?

Rickau :)
Mate, I'm not saying it's a bad case. I like it very much. For a mini-atx case it was quite easy to work with. It's not loud, but it is not silent. There is definite fan-noise, probably 50 / 50 between the case fans and the horrible stock Intel CPU cooler I have in there. It's tolerable, but If I was putting this system in the lounge or using it as a desktop I would want it to be quieter. (Mine is sitting inside my server / communications cupboard so noise is not an issue).

There are 3 stock Lian Li branded fans. Two 120mm in front bottom, and one 80mm at the rear of the HDD cage. There are no speed controllers.

As for cooling performance the stock setup is probably adequate for most normal situations. It's a small case with plenty of ventilation and two large fans at the front.

Oh and it looks lovely. Simple design, black, the power button is illuminated by a blue LED, and the reset button is illuminated by a red LED which also acts as the HDD activity light.

You could make this case whisper quiet with the right fans. You might struggle to find a CPU cooler that would fit, though. Vertical space is limited.