Suggestions dampening or reducing Loud LIAN LI PC-7FW?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

native_state

Suggestions dampening or reducing Loud LIAN LI PC-7FW?

Post by native_state » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Hello everyone,

Just finished builting my newly built system and need help reducing the noise. My computer is on all the time and is quite loud. Any suggestions on reducing noise.

Note: I'm replacing the the stock 120mm with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D. Also the PCI covers on the back of the case are grilled and I assuming alot of noise is released because of it. Any suggestions on damping or reducing the noise would be greatly appreciated.

LIAN LI PC-7FW, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, XFX 7600GT, 1 120mm, 1 140mm

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 pm

First you need to identify the source of the noise. Is it one particular fan or a combination of many? Are your hard drives hard-mounted? Use a finger on the hub of each fan to stop it, and see if the noise goes away. You can also unplug the hard drive(s) and see how much of a difference that makes.

Things that vibrate and aluminum cases don't do well for silence. Step 1 is to remove/replace all items that vibrate or generate excessive noise. Step 2 is to apply mass-loading to the case to reduce panel vibrations.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Like jhhoffma suggested the most important step is to adress the noise sources themselves. Undervolting the case and cpu fans, a vga fan swap or aftermarket cooler will make the most difference.

Now, concerning the second step: I`ve built my desktop in the same case and vibrations have not been an issue so far, unlike my older pc-60 this one has panels that fit much more tightly. Should it become an issue, it`s easily fixed by applying some pvc tape where the panels contact the main chassis. I`m not using the stock hdd case, so I can`t comment on it`s effectiveness in reducing vibrations. I`ve also replaced the stock fans, but I did test them out of curiosity and they are actually quite smooth. Of course, like most fans, they need to be undervolted in order to become really quiet. Aluminium cases do benefit from mass loading and in my case I used some self adhesive vinyl tiles. They are cheap, easy to cut and apply. Finally I did block the vents on the pci covers but I did that to manage airflow not noise.

In the link in my signature you can see what I did in detail.

speedkar9

Re: Suggestions dampening or reducing Loud LIAN LI PC-7FW?

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 am

That hard drive bay looks like an ideal candidate for DIY suspension. Just remove those drive caddies and get some elastic cloth/ stretch magic and suspend the drives up front.

The side window on the case might also be a source of vibration, especially on an aluminum chassis. If you don't need this, you could perhaps replace the panel with the one from the right side, if it fits.

While replacing the exhaust fan, remove the grills to see if that makes a difference in turbulent noise.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm

What CPU are you running? If OCed, what settings?

What PSU? If it has a 120mm fan, try a passive GPU cooler & duct to the PSU's intake.

You probably have more airflow than you need. I'd test by disconnecting the 140mm and running the 120mm exhaust around 700rpm.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 am

i used to quiet Lian Li's back in the day. what you need is bitumen, the really heavy stuff used to dampen cars, (engine, sound system etc) to get aluminum relatively quiet. it is the only thing that works period, as aluminium is a nasty devil when it comes to resonance noise.

http://pici.se/pictures/LPZ1X7.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitumen

it's the black petroleum material that works as "glue" in asphalt/tarmac. you can get in 1m3 sheets in good shops for car parts. it is just on layer of thick bitumen (about 5mm+) which is a "semi hard material" with thin plastic film on top to protect (this is what makes it shiny in the picture) and on the otherside it has glue and a yellow/orange film that you peel off when you apply it. of course this might vary..

it is FAR better than any of the pc related products for aluminium (acousti products etc dont have the weight).