PSU Options For The SG01?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Jonnster

PSU Options For The SG01?

Post by Jonnster » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 am

I am thinking of getting the SG01 case with the NT06 heatsink. This is fanless and designed to be used with the Silverstone ST50EF-Plus-SC power supply.

What I would like to know is if this can be done with a different PSU or whether it has to be the ST50EF? I have read that the ST50EF is pretty quiet but I would prefer an even quieter one. I originally looked at the Nexus Value 430W but I am guessing that as it isn't modular, it will be a nightmare to use in this case. So I am now looking at the Enermax Modu82+ 625W. This is one that SPCR reviewed but I was wondering if the lower watt ones are equally as quiet. I don't really need 625W although I suppose it makes it a little more future proof.

Would I be able to use this PSU and still use the fanless NT06 heatsink arrangement? Or is the ST50EF specifically designed for this use and other PSUs won't work?

kieran45

Post by kieran45 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 am

Any PSU with a 120mm (or 140mm) fan for intake will work in this arrangement. The design of this case is such that the NT06 cooler sits just below where the PSU fan is. Doesn't matter what PSU you use, as long as it is not an inline design (ie 80mm fan opposite the exhaust vent).

Jonnster

Post by Jonnster » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks kieran. So how does this arrangement keep the CPU cool? Does this arrangement work for most CPUs or only the really cool running ones?