Looking for case with 100% hexagon holes

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rasterman

Looking for case with 100% hexagon holes

Post by Rasterman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Looking for an ATX case with those small hexagon holes in every side of the case: front, back, sides, top, even bottom. Does anyone know of any case close to this?

I'm doing a special build and before venturing to make my own custom case thought I would see if there is anything close already made.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:44 am

Can't give you a link, but - wouldn't this kind of case collect some major dust?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi,

I think that the dust is always commensurate to the air flow -- so with a case like this, the same amount of dust would get collected "spread out". The amount of dust depends on the number of fans moving air through the case.

It would not be a as quiet as a more closed case.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:38 am

However in addition to fans moving dust in, there's the dust that can just land on the system and fall through the hexagon grid. I mean, this system would surely collect more dust than a regular case when both systems are not even powered on.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 am

lm wrote:However in addition to fans moving dust in, there's the dust that can just land on the system and fall through the hexagon grid. I mean, this system would surely collect more dust than a regular case when both systems are not even powered on.
Agreed. Of course when you lift the case off the floor dust would fall through the bottom that would otherwise collect on a closed bottom case.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:19 am

There are a couple of Lian-Li models with holes throughout. You can also buy steel or alum sheet metal with various size perforations and easily make your own. There is even a size that can be made into mobo tray with perforations that match atx standoffs.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:53 am

Rebellious wrote:You can also buy steel or alum sheet metal with various size perforations and easily make your own. There is even a size that can be made into mobo tray with perforations that match atx standoffs.
That almost sounds like a supplier of standard ATX case parts. Do you have a link?

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:20 am

Cistron wrote:
Rebellious wrote:You can also buy steel or alum sheet metal with various size perforations and easily make your own. There is even a size that can be made into mobo tray with perforations that match atx standoffs.
That almost sounds like a supplier of standard ATX case parts. Do you have a link?
No, nothing to do with case parts, requires pure creativity on your part. Very original creations are possible, including, perforated mobo tray, adjustable case, etc. You may need to use nylon thumbscrews for quick tool-less assembly, see photos at the end of my TJ08 review.

Search amazon.com for "Aluminum Perforated Sheet", also smallparts.com