Quieting HD in Lian Li PC-V350

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gyasi56

Quieting HD in Lian Li PC-V350

Post by gyasi56 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 pm

I’ve been a long time lurker here on SPCR and I finally decided to bite the bullet and make a profile. Right now I consider my rig to be pretty quiet but the biggest annoyances are the spinning and seek noises caused by my hard drive. I’ve searched the forums of many sites but there’s never any talk of quieting the hard drives. I’ve tried suspension before in other cases but I’m afraid that it wouldn’t work here because of the way the hard drives are held in the bay.

So my question is, has anyone had any experience in quieting the HD’s in one of these cases by means of suspension or some other method?

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:10 am

My case is a different Lian Li, bu the principle should be the same. Yes, there is a way to suspend them in the 3.5" bays. Use some elastic cord twisted around the hard drive. You may need to drill out the rails that the rubber washers are supposed to do, but it is easy and works well. Made a very big difference in the sound coming from my sistem. Essentially it silenced the hard drive completely.