Need a very heavy case for less vibration

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LebakTFark

Need a very heavy case for less vibration

Post by LebakTFark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 am

I need a case that weighs a lot, then those high frequency vibrations transform into low frequency vibrations which are less audible, correct?

Currently I have stacked up a lot of stuff on top of the casing, but it doesn't look pretty. I also do this for better audio quality, with 100 lbs of mass on top the music sounded very calm with more micro details.

I remember many years ago there was a big heatsink case soon to be released, but I don't know the name of this. Does anyone know it or any other cases which are heavy?

b_rubenstein

Re: Need a very heavy case for less vibration

Post by b_rubenstein » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 am

LebakTFark wrote:I need a case that weighs a lot, then those high frequency vibrations transform into low frequency vibrations which are less audible, correct?
The case can't transform/convert frequencies of a source. All mechanical systems are basically low-pass filters.

There are many ways of lowering the corner frequency so that less high frequency sound is transmitted that don't require adding weight (mass loading).

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:49 am

Are your harddrive(s) hardmounted?

If yes, they should be suspended in some way to decouple the harddrive(s) from the case.
That should eliminate most of the vibrations.

LebakTFark

Post by LebakTFark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 am

b_rubenstein wrote: The case can't transform/convert frequencies of a source. All mechanical systems are basically low-pass filters.
I'm confused. Someone said that adding more mass lowers the resonant frequency?

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 pm

LebakTFark wrote:I'm confused. Someone said that adding more mass lowers the resonant frequency?
Adding mass will lower the resonant frequency of a structure. The resonant frequency is approximately the cut-off frequency, so frequencies above the that point will be attenuated. A structure can't shift (change) the frequencies. It's only a transducer of mechanical to acoustic energy with an inherent filtering function.

audiojar

Post by audiojar » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:28 am

It's far more effective to isolate the source of the vibration, the HD. Simple grommets can go a long way. Suspension is the next step. And of course picking a drive with low vibration to start with is very important.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:50 pm

LebakTFark wrote: I also do this for better audio quality, with 100 lbs of mass on top the music sounded very calm with more micro details.
Mass on top of what affects music coming from where???

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Corsair Obsidian 800D. Doesn't get much heavier than this :roll:

The heatsink case was made by Zalman, can't remember the model right now.

Anyway neither of those is the right way to go, just soft mount/buy a separate box for the hard drive. Luckily you're on the right forums to find more info on these methods :) Just look around.

LebakTFark

Post by LebakTFark » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 pm

lm wrote:
LebakTFark wrote: I also do this for better audio quality, with 100 lbs of mass on top the music sounded very calm with more micro details.
Mass on top of transport affects music coming out from speakers. With a passive case with no moving parts I hear the same results. I use weight on top of computer, DAC, amp, speakers, power conditioner. Weight on top of power cable is difficult so I have weight clamps around it instead. I hear new worlds of micro details in the music. I also have the components levitating on magnets, it gave huge improvements but not as huge as adding weight on top.

Rucker

Post by Rucker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm

LebakTFark wrote:
lm wrote:
Mass on top of transport affects music coming out from speakers. With a passive case with no moving parts I hear the same results. I use weight on top of computer, DAC, amp, speakers, power conditioner. Weight on top of power cable is difficult so I have weight clamps around it instead. I hear new worlds of micro details in the music. I also have the components levitating on magnets, it gave huge improvements but not as huge as adding weight on top.
I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newletter.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:47 pm

LebakTFark wrote:
lm wrote:
Wow! Now that is some heavy stuff! :lol: