Lian Li Q08

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Eddie666

Lian Li Q08

Post by Eddie666 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:02 am

Finally, the specs about this mini itx case (that can support standard atx psu and long double slot vga card) appears on the lian li site:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=62&g=q

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload ... flyer.html[/img]

Linnaeus Tripe

Post by Linnaeus Tripe » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:02 am

It has some appeal - I use a modded Q07 as my daily PC and am very happy with it - very quiet and unassuming.

But - it has space for 6 HDD + optical drive? How many ITX boards have that many SATA headers? I also wish they would move the front panel USB ports to the top.

Eddie666

Post by Eddie666 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:06 am

for example my Commell LV-6789, that has 6 sata ports :)
but, for example, you can use a pci card to expand the sata ports on your mini itx.

boost

Post by boost » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 am

Great find!
I am looking for something smaller, now I want to see how it stacks up against a Silverstone SG07.

It will be available in silver and red, too:
Go to Spec, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page

There are two new Zotac boards with 6 SATA ports:
H55-ITX WiFi Socket 1156
NM10-DTX WiFi Dual Core Atom
Last edited by boost on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 pm

You could build a sweet little gaming system in that case. Take out the HDD bays and just mount an SSD somewhere to keep the airflow from the front fan unobstructed. I wonder how much room there is for the graphics card though - there are two PCI slots at the rear but not much space below that. It looks like the bottom of the case is vented, so a stock 2 slot blower solution might be alright.

About the only issue is that by using a standard ATX PSU, you don't have a great deal of room for CPU cooling. I figure this could be fixed though by using something like the Corsair H50 on the CPU and mounting it onto the top 120mm exhaust.

I'd imagine something like this would be really nice:

Zotac H55 / DFI P55 mini ITX mobo
i5 750 / i7 860
Corsair H50
Quiet PSU
ATI 57xx or 58xx
Intel or Indilinx-based SSD (+2.5 inch drive for storage if necessary)
Quieter fans

Must ... resist ... temptation .... to ... buy ... :lol:

boerner

Post by boerner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 am

Very interesting indeed...I have built a PC for my in-laws with the Q07 and liked it a lot. Digging around I found this interesting Mini-ITX board from Supermicro that may make this a candidate for a home server:

Grrr...stupid board won't let me post a link...

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... .cfm?typ=H

On Supermicro's site take a look at the Atom motherboards. They have a new board with 6 SATA and two gigabit LAN.

Can't find any place that has it in stock yet though...

Looking at the Zotac board mentioned by Boost above, that looks like a DTX form factor. It looks like it would fit but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any info on availability of this case?

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Winna!

Looks Great! Love the layout! By the looks of it you could remove the bottom HDD rack and install a (fairly) long Gfx card! Noice! very well thought out. Now if they can only follow this up with a ATX version w bottom mounted psu dual 120 intakes / 120 exhaust...BOOYEAH!

jaydeesan

Post by jaydeesan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Looks great at first sight, but as usual, stupid design and layout. No thanks.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 pm

I am actually really interested in this case now. The 6 3.5" drive bays make this an almost perfect raid case. The only minor negative is a lack of hot swap, but honestly that's not something I majorly care about. Also the Zotac H55 combined with this case is almost a match made in heaven. 6 Sata ports for 6 devices in the computer. The depth of the case is a small negative, but the advantage is clear in having large and slow moving fans along with being able to use standard power supplies.

protellect

Post by protellect » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 am

i bought one, i'll post pics when it arrives =)

ces

Post by ces » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:55 am

merlin wrote: The only minor negative is a lack of hot swap, but honestly that's not something I majorly care about.
Wait until you see the Lian Li mounts. It is worth the tradeofs. Short of suspension mounts, these mounts are in my opinion the best in the industry.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

ces wrote:
merlin wrote: The only minor negative is a lack of hot swap, but honestly that's not something I majorly care about.
Wait until you see the Lian Li mounts. It is worth the tradeofs. Short of suspension mounts, these mounts are in my opinion the best in the industry.
I just noticed, they use the old style mounts??? You can buy their newer style drive cages independently. They provide a semi-hotswap capability. The drives have to have rubber grommeted Lian Lin screws in them so it isn't 100% hot swap. It will make the cage just a little wider, but otherwise would appear not to cause any other problems. You might even be able to use an extra cage to stuff some more hard drives in there. Looks like there is room to do so as long as you aren't installing a video card.

boerner

Post by boerner » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am

Just found the first price on this from a vendor I have ordered from:

http://www.provantage.com/lian-li-pc-q08b~ALIAN047.htm

$120 USD. Not in stock, but the price looks nice.

boerner

Post by boerner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Hope this Q isn't too off-topic, but why does Lian-Li use the removable PSU bracket? I see it on a lot of their cases, and never really got it. What benefit is it? Just so you can flip it 180 deg? Seems like an awfully complex solution to that problem (vs a few extra screw holes).

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Jay_S wrote:Hope this Q isn't too off-topic, but why does Lian-Li use the removable PSU bracket? I see it on a lot of their cases, and never really got it. What benefit is it? Just so you can flip it 180 deg? Seems like an awfully complex solution to that problem (vs a few extra screw holes).
I always assumed it was so you could insert and remove the PSU from the rear of the case. Particularly where internal space is cramped (Q07/Q08) or the motherboard and large CPU cooler might interfere with the ability to remove the PSU without removing the motherboard too (apparently this is an issue on the Antec Solo for example), it makes sense to me.

jeekub

Post by jeekub » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am

guys, what HSF you use or would recommend for this case? I will probably use AMD Athlon II 240e (or Llano, if it shows up soon enough!).

Corsair H50 is not an option, mainly maintenance-wise (but also heard the pump is quite loud-any thoughts on that, too?).