Looking for an Antec SOLO equivalent...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Fizban

Looking for an Antec SOLO equivalent...

Post by Fizban » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:48 am

Hi everyone,

After spending days in building up a system that has top silent pieces in it i just got a call from the shop that everything is in order EXCEPT the casing which was Antec SOLO. :cry:

Apparently you cannot get it anywhere in my country and i am forced to find some other quiet casing (preferably in the same price range).

I have read the recommendation thread here but it stops at 2007.. and since it is 2010 now i thought that there might be some other good cases that weren't yet added there..

I'd prefer a non PSU case since i'm buying the: Enermax Modu 82+ 525 Watt
But if i must, i'll just buy the case and remove the PSU manually.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

sub

Post by sub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:14 am

Hi,

Try Here :wink:

Fizban

Post by Fizban » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:09 am

Unfortunately, that place + 5 other stores i called already don't have it in stock and wont have it in the future as well..

I actually got an answer from the Importing company that the case wasn't successful and thus they have stopped importing it.

I do appreciate the thought though ;)

Any other suggestions?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 am

Cooler Master Sileo might be pretty good. Of course you can take any antec NSK 3400 or NSK 4400 series case and pad it your self.

Calgarian

Post by Calgarian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:27 am

Have you tried the Antec site?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.php

Perhaps they will ship directly to you?

Also.....there's the where to buy page.....here's a local Etailer listed or perhaps shipped in from Europe.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.p ... pe=%25E%25

Are other Antec products available in Israel?

You might consider a Mini P180, P183 or Sonata Elite.

Fizban

Post by Fizban » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:44 am

First of all, thank you for the reply :)

second, we have several Antec products here like the Sonata iii and Sonata plus and p182SE,183 and 193.
The problem is that they are all too expensive..

The SOLO is considered old and for some reason didn't pick up here..
I'm afraid that the shipping option is out of the question since it will be really expensive (according to Antec's site it's 11kg!)

So what i'm thinking of is to buy the Sonata Plus and cut on the PSU i chose.. (Enermax Modu 82+ 525 Watt)
from reading on it, it seems like the Sonata Plus PSU is a pretty decent PSU (Antec NeoPower 550W).

Doing this will actually make the system cost around 25$ less.. but i have no idea how it will effect the acoustics of it..

What do you guys think?

sub

Post by sub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Like Calgarian says, try to send a mail to customer.service to antec, or maybe look on others country online store, or ebay if you're not on a hurry you can found a used one not too expensive with the shipping charges.

Calgarian

Post by Calgarian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Hmmm.

In the end you have to make the cost/benefit decision that you are prepared to live with. You're the one who will be sitting next to it for a few years. :wink:

I did forget to mention eBay, plus there's Amazon. Here's the UK version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... lo&x=0&y=0

After three years I still love my P150 (white version of Solo), and I haven't seen anything that makes me want to switch.

ces

Lian Li PC-A05NB

Post by ces » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:18 pm

I just posted the following in another thread seconds ago. It was in response to someone considering a Mini-180. But it is applicable to your question as well

In my opinion, the Solo is better than the Mini-180, but the Lian Li PC-A05NB is better than both.

The problem though is that all there are about the same price. So none of them meets your price requirement. That I can't help you with... or maybe I can.

I have the Modu82. Its a nice PSU, but they have stopped making it and are replacing it with the Modu87. You might wait a few weeks and get the Modu87.

Or you could save money by getting the Nexus Value, which SlientPCReview says tests out even better than the Modu82. Then take the money you save and put it in either the Solo or the Lian Li.

By the way, the Lian Li weighs only 4kg. It's made out of aluminum.

Also, depending on your tastes, take a look at the Lian Li 351V. If you can do without a tall cpu heat sink, I think it's even better... and has near the capacity of the Solo. It has good hard drive mountings, second only to those of the Solo.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Take a look at the Lian Li PC-A05NB. It's more compact, yet has m or capacity:
Mini-180: 17.20" x 8.30" x 17.10"
Lian Li PC-A05NB: 19.29" x 8.27" x 15.00"
It can take both AXT and uATX boards
It has better hard drive mountings
It is a much more elegant design

It will not have any problem with the PSU you want. It should be able to handle any CPU cooler... probably even the Orochi. It should be able to take a bigger video card.

It costs about the same price but is built with aluminum. If you want a 140mm blow hole on the top, PerforancePCs.com I think sells a top like that for about $30.

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:39 pm

thats your best bet if you want the same type case try Sonata Designer 500 comes with earthwatts rather than neo

Fizban

Post by Fizban » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Thank you all for the help.

I've decided to go with the Sonata Plus and just be over with it.. since i didn't want to wait any longer then i already waited..

Let's hope it will all be good :)

Thanks again!

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

im starting to hate antec..... in that series the 2 cases that have the front esata dont have the HD suspension system. i mean come on just make a great case and stop messing with us.

sam2

Post by sam2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Fizban wrote:I actually got an answer from the Importing company that the case wasn't successful and thus they have stopped importing it.
Oh, no! I just selected Antec Solo after reading all the reviews and found a decent listed price in Israel (nis 410), and now I come across this thread!

Can you please give me coordinates of Israeli importer, I am going to bug them to death until they bring Solo back.