Antec P150, Solo, Sonata Designer, Sonata Plus

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sam2

Antec P150, Solo, Sonata Designer, Sonata Plus

Post by sam2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 pm

As you may or may not know, these Antec cases are the same except for color and optional PSU model:

Antec P150
Antec Solo
Antec Sonata Designer
Antec Sonata Plus

Released in 2005(!) this is still undoubtedly one of the very best cases around. Silent (or nearly silent) with very solid cooling ability - not an easily achieved combination. Just the built-in anti-vibration HDD suspension system alone is reason enough to choose this case over many others.

However, the case hasn't been updated since 2005, so front panel has IEEE1394 socket instead of eSATA socket used on more recent cases. How difficult would it be for Antec to release an updated version with eSATA port?

The port itself is not a big issue for me, I am just trying to understand why a company wouldn't update (what used to be) a very successful product and get all the free publicity from various web reviews of updated version?

The real reason I am asking, is that it turned out I cannot buy this product in Israel anymore, because local distributor of Antec decided to stop selling this product sighting declining sales. The same is probably going on in other smaller markets around the world.

In my opinion, the only reason this case is not as popular as it could be, is the lack of (even a very slightly) updated version, and as a result, lack of any media exposure (who reads reviews of computer related products from 2005?).

So, Antec, what would it take to make you release an updated version of this case, and force you to make all that money?

Rant over.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 am

Seems like there is a limited selection of products in Israel. Why not import them and resell them on your own?

sam2

Post by sam2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 am

ces wrote:Seems like there is a limited selection of products in Israel. Why not import them and resell them on your own?
Some Antec cases are available here: P183, Mini P180, Sonata III, etc. Israeli Antec distributor is definitely at fault here, but I don't think this problem is limited to Israel. Like I said, who reads reviews of computer related products from 2005?

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 pm

opinions are divided on the viability of those old cases, although they are built like tanks, and well insulated.

some of us don't like the instability of rubber bands for the hdds, and the small fans in front, with their inaccessible filters, are enough of a reason to pass on those cases... 120mm fans are the modern approach.

sam2

Post by sam2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 pm

danimal wrote:opinions are divided on the viability of those old cases, although they are built like tanks, and well insulated.

some of us don't like the instability of rubber bands for the hdds, and the small fans in front, with their inaccessible filters, are enough of a reason to pass on those cases... 120mm fans are the modern approach.
One more idea for an updated version, squeeze 120mm fans (or maybe just one) in place of 92mm front fans. Although in reality, airflow in this case is so good that many systems are perfectly fine without front fans.

I just honestly can't find any other case I would rather use. All the cases nowadays seem to have at least five or six ventilation holes of various sizes, pointing in every direction, sucking in dust and letting out noise.

Sure, if your system draws 600W from the wall, you have plenty of suitable cases to choose from, but if your system draws 200W at full load (as I suspect 90% of computers do), and you want clean and quiet high quality case, what is there better than Antec Solo?

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Sam, i think there are a lot of people here wishing the same thing man!

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm

even better, Antec are running a survey atm, you could voice your opion to them via the survey :)

sam2

Post by sam2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 pm

mdrumt wrote:even better, Antec are running a survey atm, you could voice your opion to them via the survey :)
Thanks, I didn't see the survey (removed by default adblock filters!), I will fill it up now. If there are others here who would like Antec to shift some focus to 200W cases from 600W cases, here is a good chance to let them know.

thegrommit

Post by thegrommit » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

I'd like a P150 that can accomodate a larger video card, preferably in some colour other than black.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:55 pm

thegrommit wrote:I'd like a P150 that can accomodate a larger video card, preferably in some colour other than black.
Wouldn't we all (just replace P150 with Solo).

forester joe

the small Israeli market is to blame

Post by forester joe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:38 pm

the local market is small, and very budget oriented (usually). so you don't see many buyers spending extra cash on peripheral value like high end cases.

on the other hand some stores do specialize in high end systems.

I ended up buying a much cheaper Lian Li Lancool case. this case has many advantages that the solo family miss. and you can always add dampening and suspend your hard drive yourself.
see my thread

Lian Li official importer is Noa Comp. although I bought it through a different store.

Kreed

Re: the small Israeli market is to blame

Post by Kreed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 pm

If Lian Li / Lancool cases are available in Israel, you might want to consider the Lancool K7.

sam2

Re: the small Israeli market is to blame

Post by sam2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Kreed wrote:If Lian Li / Lancool cases are available in Israel, you might want to consider the Lancool K7.
Yes, they are available here. I am going to look at Lian Li cases, if Antec doesn't want my money, what am I going to do, force them to take it?