King Mod noise damping kits

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

IanM

King Mod noise damping kits

Post by IanM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 am

Has anyone got one of the King Mod kits? I'm considering getting one for my PC-A05N, but they are quite expensive for a few pieces of pre cut foam damping material, but I don't mind the cost if it does what it's supposed to.
  • Is the quality good i.e. perfect shapes and edges?
  • Is it effective i.e. noticeable drop in noise?

bozar

Post by bozar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 am

Effective on what, vibration, fan noise, hiss, growling, coil-whine?

Please submit a link to the kit.

IanM

Post by IanM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:59 am

Fan noise is the main thing. I've got a Corsair H50, Sapphire Atomic 5850, 1x 120mm case fan, and may need to get a 140mm case fan as well (to cool the graphics card) The H50 and the graphics card will be the main things to quiet as much as possible - I've got a shroud for the H50 radiator and will be swapping out the fans for my Noctua 800rpm or 1200rpm as soon as I'm happy the system is configured to run stable and the temps are steady

For Lian Li PC-A05N
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... =&ie=UTF-8
& a UK supplier:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3390.html
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kus ... ng_39.html

TigerUK

Re: King Mod noise damping kits

Post by TigerUK » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

I couldn't insulate my entire case using the be quiet large kit. (The p280 is massive).

SO I need an alternative. the king mot doesn't have the hard bitumous material which is a dealbreaker for me. For what I read in their sales ad, it's just foam and fabric membrane material at the top? Am I right? It doesn't have the bitumous material at the bottom which is suppose to weight the panes down to prevent vibration.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

In general, you're better off to build your system first, tweak it to the best balance of quiet cooling possible, then if it still seems too noisy for you, consider options -- only one of which is case damping. The others would be better heatsinks, more energy efficient and/or quieter components so you could lower fan speeds further, quieter fans, or fan/HDD decoupling.

Just remember -- a case with good ventilation always has holes through which sound will always escape. There's no way of getting around this, you'd have to not only line all the inner surfaces, but also stuff the holes with sound damping material to prevent it. Obviously, that's unwise.

The real key to lower noise is to start with less.

BTW, there's very little that's good about bituminous-impregnated material in a PC. It's tar -- toxic, smelly when heated. We were totally down on the damping used on the first Fractal case -- they were bituminous-impregnated sheets.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Last week I was thinking about buying this damping kit (I've got a PC-A05N as well). Because my HDD is no longer suspended (working on that though) I'm experiencing some aluminium-'hum', this kit seems a good solution to me. Or will the difference be almost inexistent? I was also wondering wether those sheets have an impact on cable-management - they seem quite thick and my cables touch the right-side panel already...